ADVERTISEMENT

Is UCF still the best program in Florida?

Florida Tiger561

Two-Star Recruit
Dec 2, 2018
After 2 dominant seasons, UCF was humbled in the 2019 campaign. Dan Mullen looks to have the Gators competing for a "real" national championship next year, and FSU looks like they can only go up from here. It also appears UCF can't recruit a top 50 player in the state of Florida. What do ya'll Knights think going forward?

After 2 dominant seasons, UCF was humbled in the 2019 campaign. Dan Mullen looks to have the Gators competing for a "real" national championship next year, and FSU looks like they can only go up from here. It also appears UCF can't recruit a top 50 player in the state of Florida. What do ya'll Knights think going forward?
My order is:
1. UF
2. UCF
3. UM
4. FSU
5. USF
6. FIU
7. FAU

I guess I'll comment. Most UCF fans probably don't think UCF is better than UF but they think it would be a good matchup. I'll estimate we think there's a 40% chance of UCF winning. Not great, just ok. On the other hand, most UCF fans would put money on us beating FSU and UM this year. Norvell is a good coach and FSU will improve under him but at the moment they don't stand a chance. UM wastes talent like a lottery winner wastes money. Again at the moment, they don't stand a chance.

Closer to home for us- we think 2020 should be a year we make it to the CCG. There's a lot of experience on the team to where I think it's hard to say how many "starters" are returning. Off the top of my head I think 26/32 who had significant play time last year are returning.

But after 2020... There's a segment of the "hardcore" fanbase that thinks we're at a crossroads with the HC and recruiting. A lot of starters are going to leave after the 2020 season and some think the HC isn't going to be able to keep things up after that.

Most "hardcore" fans will agree there's a good chance 2021 is a down year... especially if their beliefs about recruiting hold true. And they are really critical because the competition in the AAC is rising and we don't want to fall behind (of course).

Others think everything is 100% fine. The HC is great, incoming talent is equal or better than the rest of the AAC, and we'll be competing in CCGs and NY6 bowls for years to come. They also don't mind falling behind a little because they think we will always come back to the top.

One day these are going to be some "good ol days". Hope we get to play some of the senior programs in the state. Honestly UM almost seems ready for the AAC. Maybe we can switch places?

Reactions: PhDee
thinking we had a better team 2017-19 does not equate to thinking we are the best Program in Florida, at least not for me personally. I'm not that myopic. The system and its disparities will always put UF at a advantage, FSU as well. If Norvell proves he can coach they'll become a recruiting juggernaut again. CFB goes in cycles.

I guess I'll comment. Most UCF fans probably don't think UCF is better than UF but they think it would be a good matchup. I'll estimate we think there's a 40% chance of UCF winning. Not great, just ok. On the other hand, most UCF fans would put money on us beating FSU and UM this year. Norvell is a good coach and FSU will improve under him but at the moment they don't stand a chance. UM wastes talent like a lottery winner wastes money. Again at the moment, they don't stand a chance.

Closer to home for us- we think 2020 should be a year we make it to the CCG. There's a lot of experience on the team to where I think it's hard to say how many "starters" are returning. Off the top of my head I think 26/32 who had significant play time last year are returning.

But after 2020... There's a segment of the "hardcore" fanbase that thinks we're at a crossroads with the HC and recruiting. A lot of starters are going to leave after the 2020 season and some think the HC isn't going to be able to keep things up after that.

Most "hardcore" fans will agree there's a good chance 2021 is a down year... especially if their beliefs about recruiting hold true. And they are really critical because the competition in the AAC is rising and we don't want to fall behind (of course).

Others think everything is 100% fine. The HC is great, incoming talent is equal or better than the rest of the AAC, and we'll be competing in CCGs and NY6 bowls for years to come. They also don't mind falling behind a little because they think we will always come back to the top.

One day these are going to be some "good ol days". Hope we get to play some of the senior programs in the state. Honestly UM almost seems ready for the AAC. Maybe we can switch places?
Let's not be fooled, SEC sized and talented athletes are great. I think almost all schools get 4 and 5 star players? Especially FL. Over?

thinking we had a better team 2017-19 does not equate to thinking we are the best Program in Florida, at least not for me personally. I'm not that myopic. The system and its disparities will always put UF at a advantage, FSU as well. If Norvell proves he can coach they'll become a recruiting juggernaut again. CFB goes in cycles.
this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

2017-18 UCF was the best team in Florida. UF fans would have issues with that because of the level of competition, but I think UCF was on a roll and had real chemistry and quite frankly Milton was a game changer. It all changed when KZ got hurt.

Eventually the money and recruiting power of being in a P5 is going to trump anything that UCF can maintain over a long period of time. I think what UCF fans can hope for is that we remain competitive with the power programs in the state and be better than at least one of them each year and hope for conference realignment.

I think it depends on Gabriel’s improvement from one season to next. If he improves like Milton did after his freshman year, we will be a very good football team this year and could beat anybody on a given day. If he is similar or small improvements, Florida gets the nod.

I think it depends on Gabriel’s improvement from one season to next. If he improves like Milton did after his freshman year, we will be a very good football team this year and could beat anybody on a given day. If he is similar or small improvements, Florida gets the nod.

We dont have lines. We don't have LBs. We are nowhere near UF.

I don’t agree- sorry! The defense looks extremely strong and if Dillon improves- our offense will be explosive!

Only using last season I would say UF. I think this upcoming season it’s a toss up. 17 and 18 UCF no question. Fau and FIU superior to USF and Miami. FSU somewhere between fau and fiu. USF dead last

On a neutral field outside of Florida, I’d have us right near top. UF definitely can beat us because of Defense but unless the others get great QB play they don’t beat us on Neutral Field.

UF might be better this year head to head on the field, but they still have a shitty chance of doing anything meaningful in the SEC.

It's hard for me to think a program is that great when they rarely make their conference championship. Yes the SEC is a superior conference, but when you are the 3rd - 5th best team in your conference every year since 2008, you are just another team. Like Iowa.

For UCF to be even competitive with SEC schools given our massive disadvantages, proves to me that UCF is a superior program. Doing more with a lot less. That's just me though.

Right now UCF, but recruiting will continue struggle if we do not get into a better confer ence soon.

Did the Gators ever fix this problem? If they didn't, I think we have a good shot at blowing them out.

images

Last edited:
Not a meaningful comparison. Of course UF is better most years. For fux sake they have a budget and resource 10 times what we do. Should we have the same resources I'd like our chances to be the better team most seasons. I'd say we're holding our own and then some fighting two weight classes up.
THIS IS REALITY. I hate to say it. We need some defense and offensive lineman.

"Program"? UF is clearly better than UCF. If you take a snapshot in time and ask what team is better then yeah, UCF was probably better for a 4 or 5 year period.

If I was going to invest real money in a program in Florida, I'd probably put UCF 3rd behind UF and FSU, with Miami 4th.

You can’t really compare UF and UCF. If the two programs were sets of boobs, UCF would be perky and delightful. UF would be an expensive boob job with cigarette burns and that tan leathery old lady skin above it.
despite the SEC tag they still somehow are not the cool place to be and are outside of that top group of schools lately nationally, Urban Meyer Wild Wild West years being the exception. saw one of their top rated recruits transfer out of there after 1 or 2 months.

Reactions: Happy Hands
"Program"? UF is clearly better than UCF. If you take a snapshot in time and ask what team is better then yeah, UCF was probably better for a 4 or 5 year period.

If I was going to invest real money in a program in Florida, I'd probably put UCF 3rd behind UF and FSU, with Miami 4th.
Equity investments have a lot more potential to make you rich if you get in early. UF or FSU are blue chip publicly traded companies, old man investments.

Get involved in this UCF growth oriented early stage private equity investment. We are 1 conference realignment away from surpassing FSU. Their stands looked empty last year, much better chance of losing money on that investment IMO. Nebraskans are known for making good investments, do better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT