ADVERTISEMENT

Jemel Hill wants to bring back segregation now

Many of you are missing the point as usual and coming up with some of the most ridiculous deflections I’ve read. Better talent at HBCU’s would lead to more success and more national attention just like at UCF and that would lead to greater funds, TV and bowl payouts.

That’s not racist or segregationist.

Blacks had to fight to be allowed on white campuses. Once allowed, HBCU athletics were poached because that’s where the talent was.

Sh!t still occurs today even at the high school level. Kids from poor neighborhoods in St. Pete going to high schools that cost 10k-20k a year “on scholarship” because their good at football. Those schools are then more likely to be shown on ESPN.

Reactions: firm_bizzle
Why should this matter to anyone beyond the administrators and alumni of the HBCUs themselves? Because black colleges play an important role in the creation and propagation of a black professional class. Despite constituting only 3 percent of four-year colleges in the country, HBCUs have produced 80 percent of the black judges, 50 percent of the black lawyers, 50 percent of the black doctors, 40 percent of the black engineers, 40 percent of the black members of Congress, and 13 percent of the black CEOs in America today. (They have also produced this election cycle’s only black female candidate for the U.S. presidency: Kamala Harris is a 1986 graduate of Howard University.)

This is probably the biggest point of her article. That HBCU's have done a lot of good for African Americans, and they are important schools. But for some reason, also wanting to lift up these schools athletically, especiall considering black athletes make up the majority of the athletes in the "money" sports, is controversial, for no other reason than the word "black".
You make some good points, Cubs. I don’t care if they’re HBCU or any other school, nor do I care if the school is catering to any one ethnicity primarily or perfectly diverse. I just think that history has proven out that athletic departments don’t save schools and are mostly a financial drain on the school and the students. Your points about the benefits are valid.

There is an aspect of this that you are ignoring and that is the source of this idea. Jemele Hill was a local Orlando sportswriter with a habit of bad writing. She got hired by ESPN and found a niche being the edgy provocateur. She’s the first one on that network to comment on the racial angles of stories. So it’s not a stretch that others would comment on a racial aspect of her idea.

Many of you are missing the point as usual and coming up with some of the most ridiculous deflections I’ve read. Better talent at HBCU’s would lead to more success and more national attention just like at UCF and that would lead to greater funds, TV and bowl payouts.

Blacks had to fight to be allowed on white campuses. Once allowed, HBCU athletics were poached because that’s where the talent was.

Sh!t still occurs today even at the high school level. Kids from poor neighborhoods in St. Pete going to high schools that cost 10k-20k a year “on scholarship” because their good at football. Those schools are then more likely to be shown on ESPN.
No one is “poaching” HBCUs. The schools all recruit athletes. The other schools have more to offer athletes right now and that’s why the athletes go there. It’s a mutually beneficial relationship. That gap isn’t going to close without a hell of a lot of money injected regardless of the athletes. Jemele Hill would’ve been better off demanding that ESPN provide more coverage for HBCUs.

Or maybe the best black athletes simply don’t want to go compete at the FCS level for dumpster fire schools like FAMU that has been run horribly for years?

And what is a “white school” anyways? Most schools outside of the northeast are diverse now including UCF. Should we tell Killins to leave UCF for BCC simply because he’s black and can’t be at a school that is 65% white?

Jemele Hill is a racist dolt. It’s that simple

Reactions: UCFWayne

Or maybe the best black athletes simply don’t want to go compete at the FCS level for dumpster fire schools like FAMU that has been run horribly for years?

And what is a “white school” anyways? Most schools outside of the northeast are diverse now including UCF. Should we tell Killins to leave UCF for BCC simply because he’s black and can’t be at a school that is 65% white?

Jemele Hill is a racist dolt. It’s that simple
You’re simply clueless and know nothing about FAMU or its history academically or athletically. UCF the school who’s president was recently forced to leave is a white school. Everyone can go where they choose, now. Though if you removed athletics from the equation some of these racially diverse schools you describe wouldn’t allow these players on campus. These players would be of no use to them.

Reactions: ucfversusbcs

No one is “poaching” HBCUs. The schools all recruit athletes. The other schools have more to offer athletes right now and that’s why the athletes go there. It’s a mutually beneficial relationship. That gap isn’t going to close without a hell of a lot of money injected regardless of the athletes. Jemele Hill would’ve been better off demanding that ESPN provide more coverage for HBCUs.
The poaching I was referring to was after desegregation when schools that didn’t allow blacks on campus suddenly wanted the athletic talent that had been recruited by HBCU’s for the previous 25 years. They were allowed on campus to play sports and make the schools money. They weren’t allowed to join the fraternities on campus and the schools didn’t care if they graduated.

The poaching I was referring to was after desegregation when schools that didn’t allow blacks on campus suddenly wanted the athletic talent that had been recruited by HBCU’s for the previous 25 years. They were allowed on campus to play sports and make the schools money. They weren’t allowed to join the fraternities on campus and the schools didn’t care if they graduated.
Fair enough. Those times are over now though. Unless you’re saying there need to be reparations made, then we’re at a new normal.

You’re simply clueless and know nothing about FAMU or its history academically or athletically. UCF the school who’s president was recently forced to leave is a white school. Everyone can go where they choose, now. Though if you removed athletics from the equation some of these racially diverse schools you describe wouldn’t allow these players on campus. These players would be of no use to them.

Then go tell our black players they need to transfer to FAMU or BCC ASAP or just stop with this idiocy.

I don't think that I'll ever understand people who advocate segregation as a solution for institutional racism.
Because you control your surroundings rather than being subjugated to the whims of someone who doesn't have your best interest at heart.

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
Because you control your surroundings rather than being subjugated to the whims of someone who doesn't have your best interest at heart.
Fair point. I’m going to have to think about that for a while.

ADVERTISEMENT