ADVERTISEMENT

Johnny Dawkins Agrees to Contract Extension through 2026-27

UCFhonors

Todd's Tiki Bar
Feb 20, 2010

The news was first reported by Matt Murschel of the Orlando Sentinel.

The UCF Knights men’s basketball head coach has signed a contract extension that will keep him around through the 2026-27 season. Dawkins’ annual compensation will jump up from $1.7 million to $2 million this upcoming season and it will eventually become $2.2 million for the 2026-27 season.

In a statement, Dawkins expressed his happiness at being given the extension

This UCFan will support the players and coaches while they are with UCF and beyond. I'm tired of the UCFair weather noobie UCFans.

#UCFacts

:cool:

Ah yes...the couch potato coach weighing in again about what TMo should do. 🤣
As a non-BB fan who's seen a fascinating year last year, and that's about it, please tell me why should this guy get an extension? I'm not one to fire someone with 1 year experience in a new conference (that soon will be a laughing stock 'sell to the highest bidder') but we just experience the dumbest decision ever in existence by an AD---- extending a football HC after a humiliating loss to Baylor, and now we have this. We had a hell of a year in BB. I loved it, but even I know it was mediocre. This is what we want? "Hey, we weren't like expected--- worst to have ever existed in Big XII, but hey we're mediocre." I realize the recruits and transfers are exciting, but outside of UCF, the excitement isn't really that great. Come next season, we're probably rated as mediocre or slightly better. Why extend when you have no idea how he can coach in this new conference? Biggest loss this university ever faced except for Hitt, was the loss of our last DA. He wasn't thrilled with mediocrity.

Reactions: UCFsbarro
As a non-BB fan who's seen a fascinating year last year, and that's about it, please tell me why should this guy get an extension? I'm not one to fire someone with 1 year experience in a new conference (that soon will be a laughing stock 'sell to the highest bidder') but we just experience the dumbest decision ever in existence by an AD---- extending a football HC after a humiliating loss to Baylor, and now we have this. We had a hell of a year in BB. I loved it, but even I know it was mediocre. This is what we want? "Hey, we weren't like expected--- worst to have ever existed in Big XII, but hey we're mediocre." I realize the recruits and transfers are exciting, but outside of UCF, the excitement isn't really that great. Come next season, we're probably rated as mediocre or slightly better. Why extend when you have no idea how he can coach in this new conference? Biggest loss this university ever faced except for Hitt, was the loss of our last DA. He wasn't thrilled with mediocrity.
Anyone expecting more than a "mediocre year" in basketball (even though it was actually more than mediocre in the best basketball conference) has completely unrealistic, ridiculous expectations.

Reactions: UCFhonors
You can’t recruit high school kids when you have 1 year remaining on contract. He lost a good recruit because if negative recruiting and he was leaving in a year. This helps him recruit. It’s not a huge amount to buy him out if needed in a year. I’m hoping he can make tourney and win a game this year.

Anyone expecting more than a "mediocre year" in basketball (even though it was actually more than mediocre in the best basketball conference) has completely unrealistic, ridiculous expectations.
Dawkins couldn't recruit no matter how many years he had remaining his contract. Welcome to BB purgatory. I could care less about UCF BB.

I think we saw progress last year and he outperformed everyone’s projections. We beat blue blood teams I’d never expect to beat last year.

He recruited our only 1st round pick, landed a couple of 4 star transfers and just inked the best center in the country. Getting one of the best Bigs in the country is incredible. It never crossed my mind that UCF basketball would ever land the best HS Center in the country. That’s for the Dukes and Michigans of the basketball world.

It’s a short and very cheap contract for a coach trending up and ……who seems to be benefiting from UCF joining the best basketball conference in the country. He’s now recruiting at an elite level, but if he doesn’t win he’ll get canned and it won’t cost our cash strapped program a lot.

Reactions: UCFhonors
I think we saw progress last year and he outperformed everyone’s projections. We beat blue blood teams I’d never expect to beat last year.

He recruited our only 1st round pick, landed a couple of 4 star transfers and just inked the best center in the country. Getting one of the best Bigs in the country is incredible. It never crossed my mind that UCF basketball would ever land the best HS Center in the country. That’s for the Dukes and Michigans of the basketball world.

It’s a short and very cheap contract for a coach trending up and ……who seems to be benefiting from UCF joining the best basketball conference in the country. He’s now recruiting at an elite level, but if he doesn’t win he’ll get canned and it won’t cost our cash strapped program a lot.

Well said. Thanks for bringing the UCFacts

#UCFacts

:cool:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT