ADVERTISEMENT

Just a pitiful performance by the D starting with the Coaches...

Oldest Man

Silver Knight
Oct 19, 2001
Kansas was a running team with a backup QB starting yet we didn't pack the box at all in the first half followed by very few adjustments in the 2nd half. Texas beat up on Kansas the week before because they stopped the run and forced them to pass....we didn't even try to stop the run! And that's on the coaches. If they don't step up and put our D in a position to make stops, they aren't doing their job. If this continues, get rid of 'em all at the end of the season. This is Power 5 football, and we can't have G5 coaches. And Gus got a big ass pay raise to hire G5 coaches? Are you kidding me? He and the AD should both be on the hot seat for mismanagement effective immediately.

Kansas was a running team with a backup QB starting yet we didn't pack the box at all in the first half followed by very few adjustments in the 2nd half. Texas beat up on Kansas the week before because they stopped the run and forced them to pass....we didn't even try to stop the run! And that's on the coaches. If they don't step up and put our D in a position to make stops, they aren't doing their job. If this continues, get rid of 'em all at the end of the season. This is Power 5 football, and we can't have G5 coaches. And Gus got a big ass pay raise to hire G5 coaches? Are you kidding me? He and the AD should both be on the hot seat for mismanagement effective immediately.
Yes good point. They should have changed their formation and should be practicing a formation that stuffs the run at this point to be ready for what every Big12 team is going to throw at them at this stage.

Reactions: Yaes
Yes good point. They should have changed their formation and should be practicing a formation that stuffs the run at this point to be ready for what every Big12 team is going to throw at them at this stage.
Nah we will play the same D against OU. 6 up front 5 in the back. We can watch them run for 450yds

Reactions: KnightVision82
‘Gus is a good man, give him 10 more recruiting classes’ -some ucf fans
UCF’s recruiting classes are in line with Kansas, Kansas St, Baylor…maybe Malzon’s best days are long gone?

Gus in inflexible, egotistical and a very poor talent evaluator. Should have have NEVER been extended.

Are there any D-coordinators in the transfer portal?
You guys were blaming T-Will last year. It was his fault according to you fans. Malzon spent a dozen scholarships on transfer defensive players. What happened?

That's the right instinct. I just don't think we had the horses to deal with them. It seemed like we were getting TRUCKED regularly. Their veteran Oline was very good and our 180 lb DBs were a joke to their trio of 220 lb RBs once they broke the first level. We need to get bigger/stronger guys...and a real DC.

What's up with the LB's Gus has recruited, like Kam Moore and T.J. Bullard? As bad as this has gotten, why aren't they seeing the field more? Losing Tatum Bethune really hurt, but Gus has had time to replace him and is whiffing badly.

Reactions: LoboCane
What's up with the LB's Gus has recruited, like Kam Moore and T.J. Bullard? As bad as this has gotten, why aren't they seeing the field more? Losing Tatum Bethune really hurt, but Gus has had time to replace him and is whiffing badly.
Kam has been in a bunch this season, and he looks tiny. Although I do think he shows tremendous instinct and makes decisive moves quickly. Overall the LBs are lost. Jason is a workhorse at LB but he looks worse off this season. Could be because who he is playing with seems to change not only each game but even from series to series. We finally saw Rian Davis out there and he's a big boy but he looked lost too. I believe we've recruited and transferred in some talent, but the way they play tells me it's coaching that's causing much of this. They don't know which gaps to hit and where to be, so RBs are finding wide-open lanes once the DT or DE has been blocked.

That to me is why we're seeing our young and/or undersized DBs taking licks, especially the safeties up the middle. I love what I see from D Hendo but he's young and needs to add some mass. Tremendous speed and long arms though. Nikai is coming along some. Quad is just small. Maybe Ernie Sims actually just sucks lol.

Kam has been in a bunch this season, and he looks tiny. Although I do think he shows tremendous instinct and makes decisive moves quickly. Overall the LBs are lost. Jason is a workhorse at LB but he looks worse off this season. Could be because who he is playing with seems to change not only each game but even from series to series. We finally saw Rian Davis out there and he's a big boy but he looked lost too. I believe we've recruited and transferred in some talent, but the way they play tells me it's coaching that's causing much of this. They don't know which gaps to hit and where to be, so RBs are finding wide-open lanes once the DT or DE has been blocked.

That to me is why we're seeing our young and/or undersized DBs taking licks, especially the safeties up the middle. I love what I see from D Hendo but he's young and needs to add some mass. Tremendous speed and long arms though. Nikai is coming along some. Quad is just small. Maybe Ernie Sims actually just sucks lol.
Good post. I agree on all points. I think the problem is scheme. Addison Williams' attacking style front is not working. The front six are playing as individuals instead of working together. Every player is trying to make every tackle every play, and the result is no player is making the tackle on certain plays. Then it is up to a secondary player to make an open field tackle one-on-one. A recipe for disaster.

I don't know if Ernie Sims is the run defense coordinator or if it is Addison Williams. If it's Sims, the guy should be fired during the off week. If it is Williams, I have to wonder why Gus would put a cornerbacks coach in charge of the front six. Either way, it is a catastrophe. Gus should have advertised the DC vacancy instead of promoting from within in a effort to pacify recruits.

I noticed a few of guys that could remedy the situation.

Brian Williams, Maryland DL/DC

Jess Simpson, Duke DL

Maurice Crum Jr., SMU LB/Run Game Coordinator

Charlie Strong, uat Analyst

Let me add that abt significant change to one of these guys would result in UCF scraping the 4-2-5.

Last edited:
Id rather have chins than Addison
The question is did Chins create a bunch of future NFL talent or did the future NFL talent make Chins?

I recall plenty of frustrations under Chins. Our offense HAD to score 40+ every game to be in it. We haven't had a truly solid defense in some time, maybe since Plummer was leading the way under GOL where I believe we had a top 10 def unit in '14. Maybe that furthers the point that it's scheme and not talent because on paper we've only increased the talent since then.

Reactions: Yaes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT