ADVERTISEMENT

Knightline 141: AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco On UCF's National Championship

Knightline #141: American Athletic Commissioner Mike Aresco has been in town for the Men's Basketball Tournament ... Trace Trylko caught up with him for a lengthy interview, including this notable exchange about whether he's ready to embrace UCF's National Championship in Football.

I listened to part of this on the way into work.

On Aresco, I get where he is coming and the act he needs to put on. Andrew was asking, "Doesn't he represent us?!" and he is.
The AAC agreed to be part of the CFP. I mean we did it with a gun to our head, but the AAC agreed nonetheless. Danny speaks for UCF, Aresco speaks for the conference. Now, maybe UCF fans are ready to tell the CFP to keep the money and token NY6 bowl game. I'm not sure Danny is and I'm fairly confident Tulane's AD isn't.
Those are the positions Aresco has to choose from: Toe the CFP party line or press the nuclear button and exit the CFP entirely.

That all said, referring to the P5 commissioners as "our friends" was further than he had to go. We have no friends at the FBS level. The P5 see us as a threat and the G4 are jealous that the P5 even acknowledges our existence.

To those who haven't listened, this a one-on-one interview between Aresco and Trace from KLP... possibly his last with them, you can tell he didn't want to answer most of the questions.

Reactions: UCFBS and Mikesi
If Mike Aresco sells out for a cushy job with a so called power conference, I plan on throwing my hat in the ring as commissioner.

If I win, the first thing I plan on doing is kicking USF out and inviting UAB to take their place.

Reactions: ucfmba2k2
Sublime: Why must those be the stark choices? Why can't Aresco support UCF's National Championship and use it as a tool in his toolbox for further P6 brand building? My take is he stops short and could take it further. TT

Sublime: Why must those be the stark choices? Why can't Aresco support UCF's National Championship and use it as a tool in his toolbox for further P6 brand building? My take is he stops short and could take it further. TT
He's calling UCF "A National Champion", that's not far enough?
We don't know what Hocutt and the other commissioners told him. Maybe they laid out the threat of kicking the AAC out of the CFP agreement if he publically called the CFP a sham.

He's also about to enter negotiations with ESPN for more TV money. Calling out the CFP a sham isn't going to put ESPN in a good mood... and as of right now, they're really the only bidder.

Sublime: Commissioner Aresco is the dog who chased the car ... then doesn't know what to do when he catches it. He pushed and pushed the P6 narrative and then got a National Championship. Why does asserting that over and over and over again tick off ESPN? And, I have never said Alabama didn't also win A National Championship ... the College Football Playoff's Invitational. All I'm looking for Aresco to do is mirror the vocal and visibly positive stance that Danny White has offered. TT

thespiritof1976: With you on kicking out the Cows! Why UAB? That's your first choice?! TT

UAB - big market, good basketball, on campus stadium in the possible near future, etc...

If not UAB, then how about Southern Miss for football only and Dunk City for the rest ? (That might actually be pretty damn good)

Sublime: Commissioner Aresco is the dog who chased the car ... then doesn't know what to do when he catches it. He pushed and pushed the P6 narrative and then got a National Championship. Why does asserting that over and over and over again tick off ESPN? And, I have never said Alabama didn't also win A National Championship ... the College Football Playoff's Invitational. All I'm looking for Aresco to do is mirror the vocal and visibly positive stance that Danny White has offered. TT

I'm fairly certain you kept asking Aresco if he'd call UCF "The National Champion" and he kept pushing back and finally said he'd call them "A National Champion". I think some of your contention stems from a misunderstanding.

Reactions: UCFBS
Sublime: Appreciate the feedback. I'm confident in my position on this and my expectation of the Commissioner. Plenty of space for differing opinions on this as I know not everyone agrees. I've heard from a few who think I've been harsh in my criticism of Aresco. He gets a lot of softball questions during his interviews. I asked. He answered. The full interview drops later this week and we cover a wide variety of topics. As always, appreciate that you listen ... and comment! TT

I'm fairly certain you kept asking Aresco if he'd call UCF "The National Champion" and he kept pushing back and finally said he'd call them "A National Champion". I think some of your contention stems from a misunderstanding.
Bingo.

I don't apologize for calling UCF "A National Champion." However, when we push "The National Champion," I do cringe a bit.

Alabama won the CFP, and that's not easy to do. We didn't even get a chance, which is what we need to keep pushing ... most Alabama fans understand that.

He's calling UCF "A National Champion", that's not far enough?
We don't know what Hocutt and the other commissioners told him. Maybe they laid out the threat of kicking the AAC out of the CFP agreement if he publically called the CFP a sham.

He's also about to enter negotiations with ESPN for more TV money. Calling out the CFP a sham isn't going to put ESPN in a good mood... and as of right now, they're really the only bidder.
It’s already a racket and collusion. They kick us out our lawsuit only gets stronger

The P5 will never let us in their 4 team playoff. They aren’t going to give up the $$$. And ESPN is dieing. I do not expect to see an increase in money for a tv contract.

We need to push our national championship claim as far and as loud as possible. That’s the only way things will change is to show the absolute hypocrisy of the current system. Our 13-0 season got people talking about it and got us noticed. We need a commissioner who has the balls to do the same.

He talked the talk all about P6 but when the time came to back it up he ran away. It’s obvious he doesn’t want to make the powers at be mad, maybe so he has a job in the future. He’s failed UCF and the American and his failure to tout us and the league has only further establish us as G5.

The P5 will never let us in their 4 team playoff. They aren’t going to give up the $$$. And ESPN is dieing. I do not expect to see an increase in money for a tv contract.

We need to push our national championship claim as far and as loud as possible. That’s the only way things will change is to show the absolute hypocrisy of the current system. Our 13-0 season got people talking about it and got us noticed. We need a commissioner who has the balls to do the same.

He talked the talk all about P6 but when the time came to back it up he ran away. It’s obvious he doesn’t want to make the powers at be mad, maybe so he has a job in the future. He’s failed UCF and the American and his failure to tout us and the league has only further establish us as G5.
Couldn’t agree more...AP

Based on how quiet Aresco was during the UCF campaign, I'm confident he was reminded what the CFP contract says. UCF might be ready to push the nuclear and go to full on war with the CFP, but I don't think ECU, Tulane, Tulsa, etc, etc are. In fact, UH might be our only ally in the conference. The CFP could not only sue the AAC for all the money it's given it, but also see damages for defamation.
If a restaurant worker goes to a blogger and tells them the restaurant is serving dog in place of hamburger, the restaurant could sue the worker.
We all know that the CFP is serving dog meat, but it would be on us to back up those claims.

Based on how quiet Aresco was during the UCF campaign, I'm confident he was reminded what the CFP contract says. UCF might be ready to push the nuclear and go to full on war with the CFP, but I don't think ECU, Tulane, Tulsa, etc, etc are. In fact, UH might be our only ally in the conference. The CFP could not only sue the AAC for all the money it's given it, but also see damages for defamation.
If a restaurant worker goes to a blogger and tells them the restaurant is serving dog in place of hamburger, the restaurant could sue the worker.
We all know that the CFP is serving dog meat, but it would be on us to back up those claims.
When you have a US Senator on record previously saying it’s dog meat then you have a stronger argument

Reactions: thespiritof1976
When you have a US Senator on record previously saying it’s dog meat then you have a stronger argument
A US Senator or a homeless person doesn't make any difference. You need evidence that it's dog meat. There's a reason the meetings to discuss the 4 teams being selected are closed door, in person, and not recorded.

It’s a contest in the end. Can a beauty contestant sue because she didn’t win a contest? Even if she was clearly the hottest girl you can’t sue when their are judges decisions you don’t like. Our only recourse is to drop out of ncaa. Not going to happen.

I am frustrated with Aresco's lack of backing our national championship. However, I am waiting to see what the next TV contract looks like before I call him a failure. If he delivers a nice raise (8-10 Million) in TV money, It will be hard to call him a failure. Maybe he is playing it correctly to not piss off the people he is about to negotiate a TV contract. If we get a similar deal, it's time to move on from Aresco and find someone similar to Danny White (not him though) who isn't afraid to rock the boat!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT