ADVERTISEMENT

KZ Back-to-Back Offensive Player of the Year!

How in the hell does Fickell win COY over Heupel???

The same reason Heupel isn't getting poached from other programs. There's not enough proven yet to determine how good he is. He's either a great coach that kept the team going, or he's a decent coach that inherited a winning program. It's hard to tell.

Reactions: 80'sKnight
The same reason Heupel isn't getting poached from other programs. There's not enough proven yet to determine how good he is. He's either a great coach that kept the team going, or he's a decent coach that inherited a winning program. It's hard to tell.

Seriously?.....COY=Coach of the YEAR

Basically you are saying that anyone can take over a team and go undefeated and what he accomplished didn't amount to anything, didn't prove his ability and wasn't worthy of recognition? WOW

Im starting to think that your screen name should really be Troll MK.......

Last edited:
Reactions: Nyght Shadow
Thats true. Plus Fickel turned around a 4-8 program. That's impressive.

Coach of the Year not Coach of the decade

How in the hell does Fickell win COY over Heupel???

Cincinnati
2017 4-8
2018 10-2

UCF
2017 13-0
2018 11-0

6 game improvement. SF wouldn't have been COY either if he had the same record and stayed.

Seriously?.....COY=Coach of the YEAR

Basically you are saying that anyone can take over a team and go undefeated and what he accomplished didn't amount to anything, didn't prove his ability and wasn't worthy of recognition? WOW

Im starting to think that your screen name should really be Troll MK.......
We all know he’s a good coach. But is he great? Is he special?

We will soon find out!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Poolside Knight
Cincinnati
2017 4-8
2018 10-2

UCF
2017 13-0
2018 11-0

6 game improvement. SF wouldn't have been COY either if he had the same record and stayed.

This is not about Frost, this is about Heupel.....

So basically it means absolutely nothing to take over a program after the entire coaching staff was gutted, bring in an entirely new staff, implement new schemes on both sides of the ball, improve team performance in over 15 statistical categories, win all your games, set an AAC record for all conference players, and get ranked higher than any G5 team in the playoff era. No big deal, anyone could have done the same.....

This is not about Frost, this is about Heupel.....

So basically it means absolutely nothing to take over a program after the entire coaching staff was gutted, bring in an entirely new staff, implement new schemes on both sides of the ball, improve team performance in over 15 statistical categories, win all your games, set an AAC record for all conference players, and get ranked higher than any G5 team in the playoff era. No big deal, anyone could have done the same.....
It's been done. Larry Coker.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
It's been done. Larry Coker.

You are absolutely correct although he was part of the previous staff, same schemes, not exactly the same circumstances, he had coaching continuity, much less of a challenge but you just helped my case...guess what? he won COY

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Strength
Fickel is not a controversial pick...the victim complex of our fanbase

Don't agree. No conspiracy, no complex.... I am not saying Fickell didn't do a great job. I just don't think there is anything compelling in making a case that he deserves it more than CJH. It might have even been reasonable to award them Co COY......the criteria is very subjective, so the award to him is completely understandable

BTW CLF is already getting lots of attention on the coaching carousel, so good for him, not so good for UC

Last edited:
4 OL either 1st or 2nd team. I see you coach LRB. :eyes::eyes:

Last edited:
Don't agree. No conspiracy, no complex.... I am not saying Fickell didn't do a great job. I just don't think there is anything compelling in making a case that he deserves it more than CJH. It might have even been reasonable to award them Co COY......the criteria is very subjective, so the award to him is completely understandable

BTW CLF is already getting lots of attention on the coaching carousel, so good for him, not so good for UC

I think Heupel has done great and certainly is deserving but COY type of things are more frequently going to coaches that elevate their team. One big example is 2017 MLB. It went to Torey Lovullo (Arizona Diamondbacks 93-69) while AJ Hinch (Houston Astros 101–61) had the best season. I mean Bill Belichick could technically win it every year based off record alone but the expectations for the Patriots and the rest of the league are different.

Until this week, it seemed like he was playing with the pieces Frost left.. Now he becomes a real head ball coach.

I think if there were doubters, he proved he was hbc the week+ before ECU and during the game sticking with the decision. Big huevos.

It's probably a bit early to pick COY, but I have to agree with Cincy's improvement- it takes more effort to raise a dump than it does to keep winning with KZ. NOW, if we win our next 2 games with a freshman back-up QB, it's a completely different story and at least in my mind raises Heupel as the best HC we've ever had!

But you really can't compare the turn around that Cincy's had with the stay the road that we've had. No one's saying Heupel isn't a good HC, he's just not faced the same dump that Cincy was. Last year, no one thought Cincy was our toughest game, or even the toughest in conference. And this year.....

I think if there were doubters, he proved he was hbc the week+ before ECU and during the game sticking with the decision. Big huevos.

ECU? It really didn't take much guts to play a back-up QB v ECU, especially when you're anxious about further injury to KZ. ECU puts up a fight for what, about 5 minutes? The next 2 games are far more telling.

ECU? It really didn't take much guts to play a back-up QB v ECU, especially when you're anxious about further injury to KZ. ECU puts up a fight for what, about 5 minutes? The next 2 games are far more telling.

That’s easy to say hindsight pointing to an outcome/score. It’s not how it unfolded though. Ws are tough. Especially with college kid emotions. Was tough/in doubt through 1.5 qtrs for sure (6-3) and really not put away until late. We were down 0-3 after the first. ECU played with confidence the entire game bc of that first qtr and was going in to score and we had a scoop and score for a 14 point swing. That was 4th qtr to make it a six point game with like 12 minutes left.

I really do get the Cinnci rags to riches and how that follows the typical criteria for COY. In CJHs case it is kinda of hard to top undefeated but repeating with an entirely new coaching staff is probably a lot harder than most think. Many talking heads had Temple winning the east and had us falling to mid pack due to the coaching change, so it definitely defies conventional wisdom. Just to put the teams performance improvement in perspective, UCF has improved in over 15 key statistical categories this year....

Heupel is trash. He couldn't even get UCF a couple more wins than we got last year? What a loser! As everyone knew and predicted when Frost left with the whole staff and UCF lost talent to the NFL - UCF would just cruise to another perfect regular season no matter who became head coach!*

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT