ADVERTISEMENT

Lake Kissimmee State Park

UCFWayne

Todd's Tiki Bar
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2011
Casselberry
https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Lake-Kissimmee

I took my family camping over the weekend. went friday, saturday, and left around lunch time sunday.

pretty nice little park, but left some things to be desired. we had a pretty good camp site. however the campsites were not very uniform. some were quite large and others very small. ours was in the middle. most people use rv's with only a handful of people with tents, me included.

if you are going to use an rv, you almost have to scout the site you get assigned to make sure it will fit properly.

bathrooms were very clean and well taken care of.

boat ramp seemed good and easy access on the canal to the lakes that it sits in the middle of. i cant comment on the fishing as we didnt really do a lot of it. that said, we could hear/see boats going out there all day so i bet its pretty good. my kids are too young to really enjoy it. we just gave them some poles with top water plugs that i removed the hooks form. kids enjoyed casting and reeling them in over and over again.

hiking trails seemed pretty good from the little amount we were able to do since my kids can only go for so long.

cell coverage is spotty at best. i could occasionally get phone calls and send texts. it was great to be disconnected for the weekend.

overall i thought it was a pretty good camping trip and would recommend the campsite. there are definitely better ones, but if you are looking for some place new to try, i think its worth a weekend get away.

forgot to mention the wild life. i saw a big variety in the birds at the park, more so than at other parks. if you like to go bird watching, this would be a good park to visit.

didnt get to see any deer on this trip, but i have a feeling they were out there.

Primitive camping is the only way to go. Eliminate everything you hate about campgrounds, other people. There are plenty of drivable spots in the ONF (if you have 4WD) or better yet, get in a canoe/boat and hit the Oklawaha or Santa Fe rivers.

Reactions: fabknight
Primitive camping is the only way to go. Eliminate everything you hate about campgrounds, other people. There are plenty of drivable spots in the ONF (if you have 4WD) or better yet, get in a canoe/boat and hit the Oklawaha or Santa Fe rivers.
cant really do that with 2 kids (4y and 2y) and wife. maybe one day but gotta take baby steps right now. trying to get them to enjoy doing it first before we can do that stuff later.

cant really do that with 2 kids (4y and 2y) and wife. maybe one day but gotta take baby steps right now. trying to get them to enjoy doing it first before we can do that stuff later.
It only took me two trips to campgrounds to never want to do them again. All I ever do is primitive camping anymore, although we go to the same place every year. We get free reign of the property including shooting of guns. The best part is we don't have to tote everything in a canoe.

I've been taking my kids camping for about 16-17 years now. They're in their early 20's and still look forward to the trips every year. It's awesome. As an added bonus, my wife hates camping.

Reactions: UCFWayne
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT