ADVERTISEMENT

***Latest buzz on the UCF Baseball Coach Search - Is something imminent? ⚾

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com
I continue to get a strong sense that an announcement could be imminent. Nothing has been directly said - the people who would be privy to such info is a small circle - but all the chatter I'm hearing continues to revolve around Joe Girardi.

In fact, I've heard he could be on campus on Wednesday. It's possible that's for another interview, but I don't think you bring a candidate to campus for a sightseeing tour unless it's in the final stages.

I've also continued to hear about a possible Girardi staff through the college baseball grapevine, adding to the speculation things are getting serious.

I'm not sure what is rock solid or simply informed speculation, but a candidate for lead assistant could be Greg Brown. He's the former hitting coach for the Chicago Cubs that was demoted after last season but remains in the Cubs organization mostly working with minor leaguers.

It should be noted that Girardi is currently a TV announcer for the Chicago Cubs. It's quite possible Girardi and Brown crossed paths long before - he was a former scout for the Houston Astros and the head coach at Division II Nova Southeastern from 2011-19. From there, he took a job as the hitting coordinator for the Tampa Bay Rays before joining the Cubs.

Nova Southeastern plays in the Sunshine State Conference - same league as Tampa and Rollins - and they won a National Championship in 2016.

A couple people with ties to FTB - Florida Travel Ball - could be candidates for positions as well. I'm hearing Jered Goodwin (founder of FTB, former Hagerty HS head coach and current Perfect Game Scout) and Trevor Berryhill (current AD at Master's Academy) as possibilities.

Girardi would need an experienced pitching coach. It's also possible remaining UCF assistant coaches could be considered, including Ted Tom.

Again, I'm not sure if it's progressed to an advanced stage but I wouldn't be surprised if it is. If it is Girardi, knowing the big job ahead in recruiting and the transfer portal, there's no need to drag it out until next week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News