ADVERTISEMENT

Let's talk about our DE's....

Oldest Man

Silver Knight
Oct 19, 2001
Our 2 DE's were a negative for us last night...in fact they hardly participated. They're our most experienced players on the DL but they just didn't show up. 3 tackles between the two of them and a critical (harmful) roughing the passer penalty when we were getting off the field in the 2nd half. Hell, our young DT's were far more productive (batting down passes and triple (or more) tackles than the DE's). DC needs to figure out how to get our DE's playing more aggressively or try to find someone who can. Once they're blocked, they just don't run to the ball, the KS St RB ran right over and around them and the QB got out of contain again and again. Those two ran for 270 of their 280 yards. At some point DC you've got to adjust, right??

Our 2 DE's were a negative for us last night...in fact they hardly participated. They're our most experienced players on the DL but they just didn't show up. 3 tackles between the two of them and a critical (harmful) roughing the passer penalty when we were getting off the field in the 2nd half. Hell, our young DT's were far more productive (batting down passes and triple (or more) tackles than the DE's). DC needs to figure out how to get our DE's playing more aggressively or try to find someone who can. Once they're blocked, they just don't run to the ball, the KS St RB ran right over and around them and the QB got out of contain again and again. Those two ran for 270 of their 280 yards. At some point DC you've got to adjust, right??
You're right, they aren't very impressive are they.

I can't criticize TMB. He was going up against an ELITE left tackle. Josh Celiscar, on the other hand, needed to have a big game. He was going up against a reserve right tackle, who got EXPOSED by a grad transfer (Darius Robinson) from Michigan during the Missouri game. Celiscar should have had a whale of a game.

The D in general didn't look very good. Tackling was horrid, add to that the penalties on 3rd down in 2nd 1/2 we had no chance. Up until the bad decision play by QB, the offense was capable. After that play they fell apart.

Their decision making was piss poor. That back up RB ran for 200 yards by simple counters and routinely bouncing it outside for large gains. DE's would play inside and get crushed. They loss containment over and over, it was atrocious

Rush defense for yardage is ranked 107th right now.

Kansas State rushed about 130 yards over their average going into the game, they double their season totals for rush tds last night.

Kansas and Cincinnati ranks 2nd and 3rd in conference for rush offense.

Kansas State rushed about 130 yards over their average going into the game, they double their season totals for rush tds last night.

K-State kept All-American guard Cooper Beebe at left guard the entire game for the first time all season. He has been moved back and forth from left guard to right tackle all season. This was the first game K-State had its entire offensive line from 2022 back in the lineup. In other words, this wasn't the same K-State running game from earlier in the season.

TMB's roughing penalty was arguably the worst play of the game. Reminded me of the Fiesta Bowl Charlton penalty when the game momentum totally flipped to LSU.
Except in this case it wasn’t egregious at all. In fact, none of the three that happened during the game, on both teams, seemed warranted. They also flagged one of our OLine for holding when all he did was swipe the defenders arms, and the momentum carried them to the ground.

Any defensive unit that has Water Yates as a starting LB, is not going to stop any Big 12 conference team. The whole unit played played like Yates look a likes. Poor tackling, bad bad decisions.

Safeties are young and woefully undersized. Were both Henderson twins playing last night? LBs are horrid outside Johnson. We need more big bodies all over on D. Gone are the days when just having a faster guy is enough.

Any defensive unit that has Water Yates as a starting LB, is not going to stop any Big 12 conference team. The whole unit played played like Yates look a likes. Poor tackling, bad bad decisions.
The toughest unit on the field to make "great". You make your LB corp even better than average, it's going to pay big dividends.

I actually thought I saw our defenders more often over-pursue, and the RB just cut up the field on their inside.
I thought so to. Also, don't most coaches teach them not to leave their feet to make a tackle unless they have no other choice? And where did bump tackles come from?

Yeah, at this point I’m ready for some significant changes on the defensive side of the ball.

Our line didn’t play well against Kansas State (outside of Hunter/Walker, those two guys were terrific), but those guys are experienced - and they’ve played well historically up to this point (Celiscar/TMB/Barber). It was one bad game.

For me, changes have to come in the middle of the field. I find it hard to believe someone in that LB room (Rian Davis, Isaiah Paul, Kam Moore) isn’t better than Yates. If that’s the case, it’s going to be a long year.

And at safety, I know Q. Bullard is experienced (over 20 career starts). But he’s just not making plays right now. I don’t know if he’s fully healthy (knee injury last season), but I just don’t see the physicality from him. Jireh Wilson is 6-2/220, he needs more snaps at strong safety.

On the edges, Thornton/Adams haven’t been awful, but I’m still kind of shocked Decorian Patterson hasn’t been on the field. I think he needs more of a look.

Reactions: KnightLife1
I wonder if Celiscar is healthy. He completely disappeared in the K-State game and doesn't have a sack through 4 games.

I don't like the nickel defense against a big, physical team like K-State. When Gus arrived they implemented this 4-2-5 defense, and they're still trying to plug holes at LB every season even though there are only two holes to fill.

Watching Tatum Bethune ball out and destroy RB's for FSU makes me cry. That was the biggest portal loss so far.

I wonder if Celiscar is healthy. He completely disappeared in the K-State game and doesn't have a sack through 4 games.

I don't like the nickel defense against a big, physical team like K-State. When Gus arrived they implemented this 4-2-5 defense, and they're still trying to plug holes at LB every season even though there are only two holes to fill.

Watching Tatum Bethune ball out and destroy RB's for FSU makes me cry. That was the biggest portal loss so far.
Tackling was miserable and that big back ran around and through our guys early. After that only Jason Johnson was willing to attack him and wrap him up. So, he got better as the game progressed and Johnson got more fatigued. Arm tackling doesn't bring down a big back as good as that guy. Johnson needs help!!

Except in this case it wasn’t egregious at all. In fact, none of the three that happened during the game, on both teams, seemed warranted. They also flagged one of our OLine for holding when all he did was swipe the defenders arms, and the momentum carried them to the ground.
I thought there was bias against us with the refs (could have gone both ways though)

Tackling was miserable and that big back ran around and through our guys early. After that only Jason Johnson was willing to attack him and wrap him up. So, he got better as the game progressed and Johnson got more fatigued. Arm tackling doesn't bring down a big back as good as that guy. Johnson needs help!!
Honestly, the size and athleticism of their players was amazing!

It appeared to me the edges forgot how too set the edge and continually took terrible inside angles to allow Gibbons to bounce outside with ease.
Exactly. And not only against Kansas state, the same was the case against Boise State. They constantly let Jeanty bounce outside for long games. I thought they had learned their lesson from the film of that game. Apparently not. It looks like it's a time for personnel change. Bring on Malachi Lawrence, Jamaal Johnson and Kaven Call please.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT