ADVERTISEMENT

looking forward to seeing UCF finishes this season

herkiesrevenge

Two-Star Recruit
Sep 3, 2018
then its looking at next year, as I feel Frost was/is over rated.

do you people like your recruits this year and any thoughts on next years team as I don't know how many starters return.
thx in advance.

then its looking at next year, as I feel Frost was/is over rated.
Frost took a very talented UCF playerset and changed everything. You've gotta understand 2015 was a fluke on George O'Learly (GOL) could have created, with a Head-Coach-in-Waiting (HCiW) situation as an OC that was clearly out-of-his-depth.

GOL-OC combo ended up using games as practice, and didn't try to win. They were ball-control, run-heavy, by default. UCF's previous OC, Taffe (former HC at Maryland) had retired.

So under Frost, it took a season (2016) for it to come together, as the switch from pro-set/ball-control to open up the run with the pass (still 60% run), veer'n shoot, was made. But make no mistake, a lot of the guys on the 2016-2017 teams were also on the 2013-2014 teams as well, and Frost new this.

Understand George O'Leary had some killer recruiting classes after 2010, and even more so after 2013. Frost continued them. Heupel is doing more of the same. But there is a limit for a G5 when it comes to talent they can draw, even a top G5 like UCF.

do you people like your recruits this year
UCF has been recruiting around ~#50 throughout this decade, especially as UCF overtook Miami as the #3 team in the state where people state their #1 team (not just UCF as their #2 or #3 team).

UCF's TV ratings have been good enough to be the Big XII median since 2013 as well. They are now good enough to be #3 in the Big XII. So that's helping infiltrate Florida recruiting as well. But there will be a limit, being a G5, at top 40 or so.

The key is to find 3 star talent that is overlooked because of various factors, like height or weight, or big men (for the lines) that are 2 star talent, and just need to be developed. There's a lot of them in Florida! We also get a lot of former Florida HS players via the JUCO route or transfers from P5s.

UCF has had massive success with the O-line, D-line and TEs in this regard, as well as some LBs from time-to-time. Coverage LBs are an option for some teams, and our 3-4 in 2016-2017 was a perfect example.

and any thoughts on next years team as I don't know how many starters return.
thx in advance.
UCF lost 7 starters last year (4 D and 3 O, IIRC) -- 6 are now playing on Sundays (4 drafted, 2 free agents).

UCF loses around another 7-8 this year. We'll lose some more WR talent, and our TEs will all be new ... plus both our K and P (but we've got people behind htem).

On offense, the level of depth UCF has at almost every position, short of QB, is unreal. The biggest headache for defenses is that no one can key in on any one player, other than the QB. This gets overlooked.

E.g., McGowan was RB #1 last year, and was injured almost the entire season, and our #2 RB ended up transferring after last year. So we ended up playing RB #3, and a converted WR to RB #4.

I'd say the TEs, even though we have a couple redshirted (IIRC), and the Kicker/Punter, even though we're in the same basket (we're not recruiting more).

Frost took a very talented UCF playerset and changed everything. It took a season (2016) for it to come together. But make no mistake, a lot of the guys on the 2016-2017 teams were also on the 2013-2014 teams as well.

George O'Leary had some killer recruiting classes after 2010. Frost continued them. Heupel is doing more of the same. But there is a limit for a G5 when it comes to talent they can draw, even a top G5 like UCF.

UCF has been recruiting around ~#50 throughout this decade, especially as UCF overtook Miami as the #3 team in the state where people state their #1 team (not just UCF as their #2 or #3 team).

UCF's TV ratings have been good enough to be the Big XII median since 2013 as well. They are now good enough to be #3 in the Big XII. So that's helping infiltrate Florida recruiting as well. But there will be a limit, being a G5, at top 40 or so.

The key is to find 3 star talent that is overlooked because of various factors, like height or weight, or big men (for the lines) that are 2 star talent, and just need to be developed. There's a lot of them in Florida! We also get a lot of former Florida HS players via the JUCO route or transfers from P5s.

UCF has had massive success with the O-line, D-line and TEs in this regard, as well as some LBs from time-to-time. Coverage LBs are an option for some teams, and our 3-4 in 2016-2017 was a perfect example.

UCF lost 7 starters last year (4 D and 3 O, IIRC) -- 6 are now playing on Sundays (4 drafted, 2 free agents).

UCF loses around another 7-8 this year. We'll lose some more WR talent, and our TEs will all be new ... plus both our K and P (but we've got people behind htem).

On offense, the level of depth UCF has at almost every position, short of QB, is unreal. The biggest headache for defenses is that no one can key in on any one player, other than the QB. This gets overlooked.

E.g., McGowan was RB #1 last year, and was injured almost the entire season, and our #2 RB ended up transferring after last year. So we ended up playing RB #3, and a converted WR to RB #4.

I'd say the TEs, even though we have a couple redshirted (IIRC), and the Kicker/Punter, even though we're in the same basket (we're not recruiting more).

That;s a damn good write up. Better than the idiots over at 4 letter network.

Reactions: UCFBS
I have been told that 3* talent in Florida is like 4* talent in other states. to me there is so much talent down there its hard to grade them all. not all of them can go to the big camps to get known or graded.

here is where I can use Iowa as a example. these were the key seniors on the 2017 team
2* OLB Niemann from Illinois started as a SO
2* MLB 1st team AA Jewel started as a RSFR last 2 games then started for the next 3 games from Iowa
WLB Walk on Bower started as a RSFR at the OLB position then started the last2 seasons at WLB from Iowa
left as a JR
2* CB 1st team AA Jackson from Texas

Texas is another state that is loaded with talent that doesn't get graded.

same with the Iowa kids most don't get to go to a Open to get noticed but they do go to the Hawkeye summer camps.

you now have a coach that can find and develop that talent hopefully he stays.

I use to think that big was better until the early years of us playing USF and getting killed. UCF now has the same if NOT better speed than those USF teams. Speed kills with a good OL / DL. That is the secret to our success. What amazes me is lack of turnovers by ball handlers on our team. Its very notable and something that GOL couldn't believe his teams could do.

What the hell you mean "you people?"
Tropic-Thunder-You-People-meme-gif.gif

Reactions: muckdawg24
I use to think that big was better until the early years of us playing USF and getting killed. UCF now has the same if NOT better speed than those USF teams. Speed kills with a good OL / DL. That is the secret to our success. What amazes me is lack of turnovers by ball handlers on our team. Its very notable and something that GOL couldn't believe his teams could do.
A free invite into the Big East after 0 accomplishments has a lot to do with that. And that includes a lack of doing anything with it as well.

No consistency, no sustainment, no fanbase ... empty trophy case.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT