ADVERTISEMENT

Mack

surfer98

Four-Star Recruit
Nov 30, 2017
Do you think Heupel is trying to force Mack to transfer from the program by not playing him?

Why does everyone think Mack would stroll right in and win every game? He has started 2 games for us and is 1-1. Mack is good but DG has more game time experience and built bonds with the offense while Mack was hurt.

Why does everyone think Mack would stroll right in and win every game? He has started 2 games for us and is 1-1. Mack is good but DG has more game time experience and built bonds with the offense while Mack was hurt.
He probably wouldn’t be as effective as he could be with this offense. He would run effectively, but Heupel would still be throwing bombs and 4 screen passes in a row. DG is more accurate if that’s what your offense is

Reactions: GoKnights2003
This will probably piss some people off, but I think many of you exaggerate the quality of your QBs this year. Mack is serviceable and DG has potential, but that's about as far as I would go.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
This will probably piss some people off, but I think many of you exaggerate the quality of your QBs this year. Mack is serviceable and DG has potential, but that's about as far as I would go.
From any outside fan looking in, it certainly would look that way

Better than what Nebraska has, but I'm just some dude. I guess you could service Mack if you want to. :sunglasses:

I agree on Mack being turned into a legend on the bench

DG has elite arm talent. The question will be is his leadership qualities and his on the field instincts. He needs to learn how to scramble away from a pass rush instead of getting happy feet with traffic around him. He won’t get near KZ level if he doesn’t get better throwing on the run

He’s the #10 rated QB in passing efficiency. I’m pretty certain Nebraska fans would be ecstatic about that, especially if the QB was a true freshman. 24 TDs against 7 Ints and 2806 yards (currently #6). Your best QB is rated #72.

He is great for a true freshman. We’ve seen true freshman play before and they were horrendous. Looked scared. Looked like they had no clue what they were doing. Runnin panic mode 2 seconds after the snap. He is far from that. And yes, he has years ahead of him to get better and hopefully he will. Hell, Milton looked below average as a true average.

Mack has specific skills but as an overall QB he’s still a question mark. I give him major kudos for playing and winning the ECU, USF, and CCG games and doing the best he could against LSU. Kid has done everything that has been asked of him. As someone else mentioned, his injury came at the worst time but if he did things that much better he would probably get more playing time by now. Maybe the staff thinks he’s reached his potential whereas Gabriel’s upside is still unknown.

Stay tuned for the future. As it unfolds we will all see the truth.

I knew that would irritate some people. I didn't say it to be disrespectful or aggressive, just saying that Mack really hasn't done anything of note and DG has potential but is far from the greatness that is already being bestowed upon him.

To Matt's post specifically: this isn't about stats. Nebraska had what looked like the next best thing with adrian martinez last year and he has basically shit the bed in year 2. He posted great numbers and passed the eyeball test last year to the point of being a preseason Heisman candidate this season. Who knows, maybe DG and Martinez will be all-Americans at some point, but at this point neither of them are worthy of the admiration they have gotten.

I get the what if game for Mack but Quadry had zero D1 offers, what options would he really have if he left?

So you think DG has potential? What are you basing that assessment on because based upon performance all indications are that he is a top 10 QB?

icAPXN.png

Last edited:
I get the what if game for Mack but Quadry had zero D1 offers, what options would he really have if he left?
In all fairness Mack has 1 loss and basically 3 wins in his career. Additionally, 2 of those games were on the road, one was a CCG and another vs SEC powerhouse LSU at a neutral site. He’s still an unknown IMO

Quadry may get a few offers now. I think he can possibly start at an FCS school. Maybe more

So you think DG has potential? What are you basing that assessment on, because based upon performance all indications are that he is a top 10 QB?

icAPXN.png
Surprised Jarren Williams and Brady White are on that list honestly

I like DG. I think he’s a very good true freshman QB. Unfortunately, this offense has not helped him in the 3 losses.

Additionally, once again, running is an added weapon that would put him over the top

Reactions: Knight Strength
In all fairness Mack has 1 loss and basically 3 wins in his career. Additionally, 2 of those games were on the road, one was a CCG and another vs SEC powerhouse LSU at a neutral site. He’s still an unknown IMO

Quadry may get a few offers now. I think he can possibly start at an FCS school. Maybe more
maybe I'll end up looking like an idiot about Mack but my guess is that he ends up at a place like Old Dominion if he transfers, if he truly has the upside many on this board believe he would have Programs like FSU, NC State, etc showing interest if he enters the Portal in about a Month.

Nebraska had what looked like the next best thing with adrian martinez last year and he has basically shit the bed in year 2.

It really is kind if silly to use AM for any sort of comparison because he barely cracked the top 50 last year.....wanna guess where he ranks this year???

maybe I'll end up looking like an idiot about Mack but my guess is that he ends up at a place like Old Dominion if he transfers, if he truly has the upside many on this board believe he would have Programs like FSU, NC State, etc showing interest if he enters the Portal in about a Month.
Mack might be a complete bust. I just think the sample size is too small. I guess we will find out soon enough, but I doubt those schools that you mentioned will show much interest for that exact reason

Mack might be a complete bust. I just think the sample size is too small. I guess we will find out soon enough, but I doubt those schools that you mentioned will show much interest for that exact reason

Perhaps Mack was a better fit for CSFs scheme..........

Perhaps Mack was a better fit for CSFs scheme..........
Possibly, but at this point he’s still a mystery
Who really can tell what he is. We know he’s a beastly runner. He looks more accurate. Just haven’t seen enough

Does he still carry the fumbleitis rap?

So you think DG has potential? What are you basing that assessment on because based upon performance all indications are that he is a top 10 QB?

icAPXN.png

I think he's doing well and have no level of disrespect for him. Stats are great, but they don't tell the entire story. If you're suggesting that because of his stats, DG is one of the 10 best qbs in the country then I guess we have to just disagree.

Possibly, but at this point he’s still a mystery
Who really can tell what he is. We know he’s a beastly runner. He looks more accurate. Just haven’t seen enough

Does he still carry the fumbleitis rap?

Hard to tell but I do think he set some UCF records in last years CCG, so he does have skills........

Reactions: Ucfmikes
I think he's doing well and have no level of disrespect for him. Stats are great, but they don't tell the entire story. If you're suggesting that because of his stats, DG is one of the 10 best qbs in the country then I guess we have to just disagree.

So I'll ask you again....if not stats, what are you basing that on????

So I'll ask you again....if not stats, what are you basing that on????
The true measure of a great qb isn't stats, its leadership. Thus far, DG hasn't proven that he has that attribute. Definitely not saying that he doesn't have it or it will never be developed, but losing to Tulsa in front of 5,000 fans doesn't exactly paint the picture of a guy who is there yet. YET.

We could create a list probably 100 deep of QBs who put up great numbers but really didn't lead there team to much of anything. We could also create a list of QBs who weren't all that great on paper but won titles at every level. I just don't know where DG falls on that scale yet

The true measure of a great qb isn't stats, its leadership. Thus far, DG hasn't proven that he has that attribute. Definitely not saying that he doesn't have it or it will never be developed, but losing to Tulsa in front of 5,000 fans doesn't exactly paint the picture of a guy who is there yet. YET.

We could create a list probably 100 deep of QBs who put up great numbers but really didn't lead there team to much of anything. We could also create a list of QBs who weren't all that great on paper but won titles at every level. I just don't know where DG falls on that scale yet

Some of your points may be valid but losing to Tulsa is not. The entire team and the coaches crapped the bed on that one.......and to say that a true FR lacks leadership is kind of silly.......despite your aversion to QB performance as a benchmark, how many FR QBs are even rated in the top 25 let alone the top 10? I would also say that there are not too many upper class top 25 QBs that you could make a strong case are better QBs than DG........the bottom line is one year doesn't make a career but all indications are he is the real deal.......and if CJH had put him in better situations he would have not lost 3 games by a total of 7 points

Speaking of Qadry he was originally a walk-on, then got a scholarship. I guess I was wrong thinking when someone walks on then gets a scholarship, they're usually set until they graduate.

Watched the Tulsa game from the front row. Tulsa's D line was able to collapse UCF's similar to how LSU did in the Fiesta, and had Gabriel looking everywhere but downfield. IMO, Mack would have been a better option, if first/second read aren't there, or the line has collapsed, take off. He has similar experience to this from the LSU game, and would have been a different scheme for Tulsa to deal with. Even before Gabriel went out for the play, I thought Mack could use a couple plays to change it up, and once DG went down, he should have stayed in.

Quadry is my favorite QB to watch, and wish he would have gotten more of a shot, had Wimbush not come into the picture, maybe he would have.

Watched the Tulsa game from the front row. Tulsa's D line was able to collapse UCF's similar to how LSU did in the Fiesta, and had Gabriel looking everywhere but downfield. IMO, Mack would have been a better option, if first/second read aren't there, or the line has collapsed, take off. He has similar experience to this from the LSU game, and would have been a different scheme for Tulsa to deal with. Even before Gabriel went out for the play, I thought Mack could use a couple plays to change it up, and once DG went down, he should have stayed in.

Quadry is my favorite QB to watch, and wish he would have gotten more of a shot, had Wimbush not come into the picture, maybe he would have.
So you were that guy! Congrats man. I thought their was someone there.

I agree on Mack being turned into a legend on the bench

DG has elite arm talent. The question will be is his leadership qualities and his on the field instincts. He needs to learn how to scramble away from a pass rush instead of getting happy feet with traffic around him. He won’t get near KZ level if he doesn’t get better throwing on the run
Very true, but with the oline and the playcalling we can Not be certain it's just him.

Last edited:
Mack is in a tough spot if he wants to transfer this season... having to sit out next season for transfer rules and he already sat out a season for redshirting. He'd be better off staying and then being a grad transfer (assuming he'd graduate in 4/4.5 years)

Mack is in a tough spot if he wants to transfer this season... having to sit out next season for transfer rules and he already sat out a season for redshirting. He'd be better off staying and then being a grad transfer (assuming he'd graduate in 4/4.5 years)
If I get your point correctly, (maybe I didn't.) On the flipside he's getting more time to develop (as long as he doesn't get injured like he did). And... potentially end up in a place with a team put together enough to show it. Unfortunately that's not where we are this year, and possibly next if thing dont change. If I were in those shoes it would be a hard sell to stay purely based on what is best for my career.

But waivers are getting handed out easier in recent years and you want to learn the new coach’s system , if a transfer is happening with Mack it’s happening this offseason in my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT