ADVERTISEMENT

Make or break Big 12 Season #2

KnightVision82

Diamond Knight
Jan 26, 2004
UCF fans know heading into last season many were looking forward to season thinking 8-4, 9-3 or 10-2.

However lack of quality depth at QB position exposed by cheap shot by Boise LB to JRP knee became our greatest knightmare. To add insult to this injury our new DC and the play of his unit looked like a JV team playing a varsity squad. 6 wins turned out to be a gift as we looked dreadful against GT.

This season the team looks prepared to achieve last seasons expectations. We have much better depth at every position.

The defense has new attacking DC, tougher LBs and DBs. The only 2 questions are will we find a good backup QB if needed from our roster? Will Boomer be back to previous form?

This could be a very fun season. Go Knights!

UCF fans know heading into last season many were looking forward to season thinking 8-4, 9-3 or 10-2.

However lack of quality depth at QB position exposed by cheap shot by Boise LB to JRP knee became our greatest knightmare. To add insult to this injury our new DC and the play of his unit looked like a JV team playing a varsity squad. 6 wins turned out to be a gift as we looked dreadful against GT.

This season the team looks prepared to achieve last seasons expectations. We have much better depth at every position.

The defense has new attacking DC, tougher LBs and DBs. The only 2 questions are will we find a good backup QB if needed from our roster? Will Boomer be back to previous form?

I dont think many expected 9 or 10 wins last year. I was hoping we could scrape out a bowl game. This year I expect 7 or 8 wins. Any above that would be gravy.

The defense has new attacking DC, tougher LBs and DBs.
I think UCF fielded an attacking defense last year. Simply did not have the personnel (depth) or coaching (Ernie Sims) to run it effectively.

The only 2 questions are will we find a good backup QB if needed from our roster?
Will UCF need a backup? KJ Jefferson has not missed a game due to injury during his collegiate career.

Will Boomer be back to previous form?
Good question.

I think the silver lining is Boomer won't be depended on as much.

Can we survive the injuries we had last season to do this? We had some injuries to D in fairness to them last season. However I didn't see too many tackles for loss against running game which would keep me from predicting CFP

We honestly let 2 games slip away (mostly due to bad defense and bad coaching decisions). If JRP was healthy, defense was mediocre instead of putrid and Boomer didn’t have his post Boise St game season collapse, I’d think we would have been 3+ games improved. Bad defense aside, 8-9 wins was right there.

Our offense is stacked and we are way deeper at QB in the 2 deep. Defense seems vastly improved with a real DC leading. 8-9 wins is a must with a UF win, they are mid. Schedule is set up nicely, excited for a big season. I may have 5 CFP national championships in NCAA 24 by the time season starts…GKCO ⚔️ !!!

We honestly let 2 games slip away (mostly due to bad defense and bad coaching decisions). If JRP was healthy, defense was mediocre instead of putrid and Boomer didn’t have his post Boise St game season collapse, I’d think we would have been 3+ games improved. Bad defense aside, 8-9 wins was right there.
I would add in the flukey, inexplicable interception turnovers at the WR position on otherwise good play calls that often resulted in 14-point swings.
Our offense is stacked and we are way deeper at QB in the 2 deep.
Not sure about that. I would say UCF has a projected starting quarterback who has no history of missing games due to injury.
Defense seems vastly improved with a real DC leading. 8-9 wins is a must with a UF win, they are mid.
The chances of UCF beating Florida in Gainesville are less than 20%. It is a difficult place to win at night, much like Baton Rouge.
Schedule is set up nicely, excited for a big season. I may have 5 CFP national championships in NCAA 24 by the time season starts…GKCO ⚔️ !!!
No doubt.

I dont think many expected 9 or 10 wins last year. I was hoping we could scrape out a bowl game. This year I expect 7 or 8 wins. Any above that would be gravy.
I'm a glass half full than half empty guy. The injuries to QB JRP and DL Barber had a big impact on our ability to hang in there during close games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT