ADVERTISEMENT

Making the CFP

///Mediaboy

Two-Star Recruit
Dec 2, 2007
23172828_10159590773035707_1236414516010560996_n.jpg

23172638_10159590780890707_9154191363397387140_n.jpg

Here's my newest revelation on this. The Big12 is a "power" conference. 2-loss Iowa State was ahead of UCF last week because of their "power" wins in that conference. 2-loss OK State will be ahead of UCF this week for the same reason.
Yet they have 2 teams in CBS's bottom 25, so 2 conference losses means they've lost to 2 out of the 7 teams in that conference that don't completely suck.

23275426_10159591658415707_1262737278931721127_o.jpg

Where some see unrealistic 200-1 odds, I see 5x better chance than opening odds!

We're trending up boys!

I have a question, this isn't like the BCS where there was a formula to determine who was selected right? In that system I could see 1% being logical because we'd need so many things to go our way for it to happen, in this can't the committee just put us in if they want? I know they have some criteria to follow but we have no loses and if we remain undefeated can't they just say, well nobody has beat them yet we think they deserve to be in?

I have a question, this isn't like the BCS where there was a formula to determine who was selected right? In that system I could see 1% being logical because we'd need so many things to go our way for it to happen, in this can't the committee just put us in if they want? I know they have some criteria to follow but we have no loses and if we remain undefeated can't they just say, well nobody has beat them yet we think they deserve to be in?
Correct, there is no formula, no outside poll, no public debate. It's a committee mostly comprised of P5 ADs and Alumni, who could put UCF in if they... sorry I can't finish that sentence, I'm laughing too hard.

Correct, there is no formula, no outside poll, no public debate. It's a committee mostly comprised of P5 ADs and Alumni, who could put UCF in if they... sorry I can't finish that sentence, I'm laughing too hard.

I don't expect them to but it's at least more possible than the BCS. Hopefully if we win out and don't make the playoffs we don't get screwed and sent to the Fiesta but rewarded with the Peach.

I don't expect them to but it's at least more possible than the BCS. Hopefully if we win out and don't make the playoffs we don't get screwed and sent to the Fiesta but rewarded with the Peach.
The respect the committee has for our team we will be placed last and sent to Fiesta where our 10,000 alumni will have to buy $800 plane tickets. I enjoyed Phoenix last time but it's a tough draw going that far the the day before NYE

It’s less possible. UCF would be in the top 10 in the BCS system based on the polls and computer rankings.

Reactions: SublimeKnight
I really don't know how you draw that conclusion. Miami won a national championship, in the BCS system, playing out of this conference. The P5 removed all outside influences, all chances, that a non-p5 could get into the playoffs.
In the BCS days, we could kill it on the computers and force the coaches and AP to vote us out of the championship.
Today, UCF is like #2 on the computers and the ADs on the committee just laugh and write #18.

I really don't know how you draw that conclusion. Miami won a national championship, in the BCS system, playing out of this conference. The P5 removed all outside influences, all chances, that a non-p5 could get into the playoffs.
In the BCS days, we could kill it on the computers and force the coaches and AP to vote us out of the championship.
Today, UCF is like #2 on the computers and the ADs on the committee just laugh and write #18.

Miami did not win a National championship out of this conference.

They did. Big East = AAC
If the BCS system was still in place, we'd be a BCS conference (like the AAC was in 2013)

Really? Where's our Virginia Tech, West Virginia type schools? Hell Syracuse was good back then, as were Pittsburg and BC. We are good, USF and Houston are too year to year but they had a better top 5 than we do. And Miami played a better OOC schedule.

As for the BCS, we would start falling after UConn and Temple as the computers would drop us while others have better matchups to move them up. We would also have to have the human polls move us up a lot more. We have a chance to get to 6-7 in the human polls this year which wouldn't be enough in the BCS but might with the committee, I doubt it but a few scenarios could play out that makes a good case for us.

1991 Big East football standings
Conf Overall
Team
W L T W L T
No. 11 Syracuse 5 – 0 – 0 10 – 2 – 0
No. 1 Miami (FL) 2 – 0 – 0 12 – 0 – 0 <<< national champs
Virginia Tech 1 – 0 – 0 5 – 6 – 0
Pittsburgh 3 – 2 – 0 6 – 5 – 0
West Virginia 3 – 4 – 0 6 – 5 – 0
Rutgers 2 – 3 – 0 6 – 5 – 0
Boston College 2 – 4 – 0 4 – 7 – 0
Temple 0 – 5 – 0 2 – 9 – 0
  • The Big East did not crown an official champion until 1993 when full league play began.
Rankings from AP Poll
Categories:

They did. Big East = AAC
If the BCS system was still in place, we'd be a BCS conference (like the AAC was in 2013)
Big East does not equal AAC. Only 3 teams are holdovers from Big East. We lost AQ status once UL left. Nothing to do with BCS.

Big East does not equal AAC. Only 3 teams are holdovers from Big East. We lost AQ status once UL left. Nothing to do with BCS.
Even before the mass exodus, the Big East in football was always attacked as a power conference especially by the Mountain West.

You don't get how it works. In 2013 UCF went to the Fiesta bowl as a BCS automatic qualifier. It was in the contract. In the eyes of the BCS, the AAC=BE. That status was granted to the BE mostly through metrics Miami earned the conference, but even after Miami left, the status was set.
The BCS system was also far less rigged. It was equal parts computer, coaches, and AP voting. Remember USF was once ranked #2 in that system and that was after Miami left.

Would it be tough for UCF to get to the title game? Absolutely. Would it be impossible like it is with the current playoff committee? No.

You don't get how it works. In 2013 UCF went to the Fiesta bowl as a BCS automatic qualifier. It was in the contract. In the eyes of the BCS, the AAC=BE. That status was granted to the BE mostly through metrics Miami earned the conference, but even after Miami left, the status was set.
The BCS system was also far less rigged. It was equal parts computer, coaches, and AP voting. Remember USF was once ranked #2 in that system and that was after Miami left.

Would it be tough for UCF to get to the title game? Absolutely. Would it be impossible like it is with the current playoff committee? No.
You aren't getting it. No one said it was because UM left. We said it was because 75% of the conference left. Once Boise and SDSU declined and UL left as well it was CUSA 2.0 in everyone else's eyes. Ironically Boise and SDSU would probably have a better shot of making it if they joined AAC instead of competing for same spot without deciding it on field.

Ironically Boise and SDSU would probably have a better shot of making it if they joined AAC instead of competing for same spot without deciding it on field.
They turned it down because of the TV deal and the removal of the automatic bid...although i think it was more of the bid than anything else.

You aren't getting it. No one said it was because UM left. We said it was because 75% of the conference left. Once Boise and SDSU declined and UL left as well it was CUSA 2.0 in everyone else's eyes. Ironically Boise and SDSU would probably have a better shot of making it if they joined AAC instead of competing for same spot without deciding it on field.
The question at hand is which system gave UCF more of a chance at winning a national championship:
2013 BCS system (AAC is an AQ, polls+computers decide top2)
2014+ CFP system (backroom committee of P5 reps that can rank the top 4 by the value of the mascot's name in scrabble)

It doesn't matter what "everyone" thinks of the current AAC. UCF had a < 1% of winning a national championship in 2013. Since then it's 0% unless you want to account for zombie apocalypses that only affect P5s and such.

The question at hand is which system gave UCF more of a chance at winning a national championship:
2013 BCS system (AAC is an AQ, polls+computers decide top2)
2014+ CFP system (backroom committee of P5 reps that can rank the top 4 by the value of the mascot's name in scrabble)

It doesn't matter what "everyone" thinks of the current AAC. UCF had a < 1% of winning a national championship in 2013. Since then it's 0% unless you want to account for zombie apocalypses that only affect P5s and such.
If hurricanes forced Miss State to cancel half their games they would still be ranked ahead of UCF with 3 losses by this "committee of experts".

Reactions: SublimeKnight
As it is today not shot ANY G5 team gets into the CFP. CFP needs to expand to 8 teams to at least give a G5 a chance. Still would be difficult.

As it is today not shot ANY G5 team gets into the CFP. CFP needs to expand to 8 teams to at least give a G5 a chance. Still would be difficult.
Given the structure and autonomy of the committee, they could expand it to 64 teams and keep the G5 out. I'm of course exaggerating, but UCF would not get into an 8 team playoff and they'd probably seed us #16 in a 16 team playoff.

Think about how hard it would become for the committee to get up there every week and put an undefeated G5 behind a bunch of 2 loss teams if a G5 got in and won the first round. They can't risk that and have the control to not have to.

If they expand to 8, they are not giving an automatic bid to any G5. Let's just get that out of the way too. It's not the number of teams in the playoff. Its the perception of the G5 conferences that needs to change.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT