ADVERTISEMENT

Mario Cristobal named permanent Oregon HC

So Kevin Sumlin slow played UCF possibly for the Oregon job but didn't get it anyway

Not exactly a great hire in my opinion. His record as a head coach is sub-par, even taking into account it was at FIU. Butch is there one year and gets them to 8-4....better than or equal to his best season....and he was there 6 seasons. He did then spend 4 seasons on Bama's staff, and was the Co-OC last season at Oregon so maybe he's learned a lot.

His FIU record is a little misleading, they were on the verge of dropping Football when he took over

I was admittedly a Cristobal guy during the 2015 search. It worked out for us but I think with a solid infrastructure in place I think he can be a good coach. Great recruiter and players love him.

Reactions: Mikesi
Huepel was already off the board, not many coaching options for them this late in the coaching musical chairs. You don't want to be the last one standing.

Based on what? Why is Oregon an elite program?

If you have competed for a national championship, pumped out multiple first round draft picks and are seen as a popular destination for top 500 recruits for the past decades you're an elite program. Why would Oregon not be an elite program?

OK. That explains a lot, and that is probably just the tip of the iceberg for the administrative and program issues they were having at that time.
there's only 3-4 coaches that can be successful anywhere, the rest of the guys are about fit. Many UCF fans wanted nothing to do with him during the 2015 search but I think he would have been successful here, maybe not 12-0 in year 2 but successful

Oregon has only been a good team starting in the 2000's before that they were average to bad. We will see if they can sustain their success or if the revert to the bottom.

I know the year 2000 sounds like a long time ago for some of the younger ones, but for us that are getting older can remember the Oregon Sucks. It's funny to see how the power shifts around. I wonder what another 20 years will bring and who will be that dynasty then.

Me: I don't think UCF should hire Cristobal...
BvYXWZ2.jpg

I wanted Cristobal at UCF in 2015. He resurrected FIU from the dead to a Bowl game. He had nothing to work with. In 2011, FIU upset UCF and a very good Louisville team with TY Hilton. I thought that he got screwed by FIU in the end. He was the Jim Leavett of FIU.

He’s been a good recruiter and position coach everywhere he’s been and I’m very curious to see if he has success at Oregon. Wish him the best

Can we still get Sumlin?
So the music is stopping on the coaching Carousel and Sumlin is left out. This is very surprising! so many schools talked about picking him as a HC he was on Tennessee list a few weeks ago. No worries, he is still getting paid big dollars with his buyout :sunglasses:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT