ADVERTISEMENT

Matt 2nd in nation in made 3's, other stats (good/bad) after 23 games

UCFProf

Golden Knight
Nov 13, 2011
Matt's success is that much more amazing because, unlike most other teams, UCF doesn't use screen or many picks to get him free, instead relying on his height, quick release, and NBA range to get his shots off. Low scoring and tough defense in the AAC also makes his stat ranking implausible. This is Matt's highest ranking, and he's approaching the AAC's record (and Jermaine's career total).

At 74.7%, Tacko slipped to 3rd in nation in shooting pct. (6 for 10 against Memphis). Tacko is at 2.4 block/game (23rd in nation), mainly because few teams dare challenge him. He's also 7th in rebounds per 40 minutes, despite playing almost 10 minutes more per game this season than last.

UCF is 2nd in the nation rebounds (43.2/game), UCF is 2nd in rebounding margin (11.1), 4th in scoring defense (61.1/game), first in shooting defense (35.6%), 20th in fewest fouls. No UCF team (and very few others schools, either) have come anywhere near the top of so many important aspects of college defense. Credit Dawkins, Tacko's presence, and player buy-in to teamwork and sacrifice.

At the other end of the spectrum, UCF is deep in the pack or near the bottom in the following:
blocks (127th of 351 schools), shooting pct. (192nd), 3 pt shooting pct. (247th), free throw percentage (281st), assists (295th), turnovers (310th), Steals (dead last in nation), turnover margin (dead last).

Matt's success is that much more amazing because, unlike most other teams, UCF doesn't use screen or many picks to get him free, instead relying on his height, quick release, and NBA range to get his shots off. Low scoring and tough defense in the AAC also makes his stat ranking implausible. This is Matt's highest ranking, and he's approaching the AAC's record (and Jermaine's career total).

At 74.7%, Tacko slipped to 3rd in nation in shooting pct. (6 for 10 against Memphis). Tacko is at 2.4 block/game (23rd in nation), mainly because few teams dare challenge him. He's also 7th in rebounds per 40 minutes, despite playing almost 10 minutes more per game this season than last.

UCF is 2nd in the nation rebounds (43.2/game), UCF is 2nd in rebounding margin (11.1), 4th in scoring defense (61.1/game), first in shooting defense (35.6%), 20th in fewest fouls. No UCF team (and very few others schools, either) have come anywhere near the top of so many important aspects of college defense. Credit Dawkins, Tacko's presence, and player buy-in to teamwork and sacrifice.

At the other end of the spectrum, UCF is deep in the pack or near the bottom in the following:
blocks (127th of 351 schools), shooting pct. (192nd), 3 pt shooting pct. (247th), free throw percentage (281st), assists (295th), turnovers (310th), Steals (dead last in nation), turnover margin (dead last).
Like it or not, BJ is average at being a PG. he is a great athlete and probably would be more suited for the 2 spot because he's a scorer. He just doesn't run a team efficiently and has too many turnovers....many from trying to drive the lane on 3-4 people. He's still got two more years so in no wAy am I saying we should bail on him. He's got to greatly improve his assist/turnover ratio.

I wish there was a stat called "altered shots" because Tacko gets an enormous amount of them. Several games ago I kept track of shots I thouht he altered and I had 17...although he only had like 2-3 blocks. He is a menace and should become even better as he learns the game. He could work himself into a 2nd round pick or so. I'd take s flier on him. They'll make him even better at the next level, even if it takes 2-3 years. I see him much like JJ Reddick or Hassan Whitsude. It took Them 3-4 years to become a high caliber players.

Last edited:
Like it or not, BJ is average at being a PG. he is a great athlete and probably would be more suited for the 2 spot because he's a scorer. He just doesn't run a team efficiently and has too many turnovers....many from trying to drive the lane on 3-4 people. He's still got two more years so in no wAy am I saying we should bail on him. He's got to greatly improve his assist/turnover ratio.

I wish there was a stat called "altered shots" because Tacko gets an enormous amount of them. Several games ago I kept track of shots I thouht he altered and I had 17...although he only had like 2-3 blocks. He is a menace and should become even better as he learns the game. He could work himself into a 2nd round pick or so. I'd take s flier on him. They'll make him even better at the next level, even if it takes 2-3 years. I see him much like JJ Reddick or Hassan Whitsude. It took Them 3-4 years to become a high caliber players.

I stated that Tacko's initial value to UCF would be on the defensive end and its even more apparent when he leaves the game because if foul trouble.

Hope he can stay out of foul trouble in our tough upcoming games.

I've been critical of BJ only because he can be so much better, and now Dawkins tutelage and BJ's work is starting to pay off. My rule of thumb is if BJ is our leading scorer, we won't beat a decent team. BJ didn't have the assists vs. Memphis, but by distributing the ball to Tank on the wing, Nick on the high post, or AD anywhere, it allowed them to get the assists because they are good passers or drivers. The high-post pass inside was repeatedly fatal to Memphis.

I'm really pumped to see how Dawkins' staff devises defenses against Cincy and UConn this week. Dawkins needs to continue convincing the squad to expect to beat these historic programs. They buried UCF the past 3 years, and UConn gave us a humiliating drubbing last month. #14 Cincy has won 14 straight, 21-2 overall, 10-0 in the AAC, but Tulsa gave away a win to them last week and they've had several close games in the AAC. Cincy rained 3s down on UConn today.

BJ has a 2 to 1 assist to turnover ratio. Where would you like to see it? Keep in mind he is one of our top 3 scorers despite missing 6 games.

Personally I see BJ improving. And he is our best player.

Not to be rude but maybe you're expecting too much from him or asking him to be something he is not.

Reactions: Nyght Shadow
Great stats Prof.

The one bad stat that I'm not worried about at all is steals. You can't do everything defensively. What we do well is working. Going after steals isn't our game.

The stats that worry me are
turnover margin (dead last), assists (295th), free throw percentage (281st), 3 pt shooting pct. (247th), turnovers (310th), in that order.

Lots of good stats aren't sexy but are very impressive. Lots of credit goes to the coaches.

I'm curious. What grade would you give the coaches so far?

BJ has a 2 to 1 assist to turnover ratio. Where would you like to see it? Keep in mind he is one of our top 3 scorers despite missing 6 games.

Personally I see BJ improving. And he is our best player.

Not to be rude but maybe you're expecting too much from him or asking him to be something he is not.

and playing with a hurt thumb for additional games. He has some things to improve, but he is a really good basketball player. Isn't he our first high school all-american at UCF?

Reactions: UCFhonors
BJ has a 2 to 1 assist to turnover ratio.
I'm increasingly pleased how BJ is transforming himself into a shooting point guard, from is 2 guard he came here as.
However, it's still a work in progress.
BJ has 64 assists and 42 turnovers in 16 games: a 1.5 assist-to-turnover ratio, which is great unless you're a point guard, especially a team with one of the lowest ratios in the nation (Matt and Nick are the only teammates at nearly 1).
He had 3 games with 1 assist, 2 games with 2, 3 games with 3. Two of his 3 games over 5 assists were vs. bad teams.
The thumb could be hampering him because pre-injury, he averaged 5 assist, post injury on 3.2 assists.
On the other hand, his shooting percentage has dramatically risen, especially on 3s.

I'm increasingly pleased how BJ is transforming himself into a shooting point guard, from is 2 guard he came here as.
However, it's still a work in progress.
BJ has 64 assists and 42 turnovers in 16 games: a 1.5 assist-to-turnover ratio, which is great unless you're a point guard, especially a team with one of the lowest ratios in the nation (Matt and Nick are the only teammates at nearly 1).
He had 3 games with 1 assist, 2 games with 2, 3 games with 3. Two of his 3 games over 5 assists were vs. bad teams.
The thumb could be hampering him because pre-injury, he averaged 5 assist, post injury on 3.2 assists.
On the other hand, his shooting percentage has dramatically risen, especially on 3s.

Excuse me. BJ has a 1.5 assist to turnover ratio. However, that would be bad if he had 5 TO a game but he only averaging 2.6 turnovers per game. And he would be 1 point shy of our leading scorer if he played those 6 games and averaged his scoring for the season.

Best players always seem to get too much criticism and too much credit.

If we really want to see who is to blame for the turnovers its in this order:
Player - Turnover per minute played
Nathan Laing, 0.099
A.J. Davis, 0.087
Tacko Fall, 0.085
Nick Banyard, 0.084
B.J. Taylor, 0.075
Tanksley Efianayi, 0.075
Chad Brown, 0.069
Matt Williams, 0.053
Djordjije Mumin, 0.05

And even that isn't really fair, because Nathan, AJ and BJ handle the ball way more than the other players.

Excuse me. BJ has a 1.5 assist to turnover ratio. However, that would be bad if he had 5 TO a game but he only averaging 2.6 turnovers per game. And he would be 1 point shy of our leading scorer if he played those 6 games and averaged his scoring for the season.

Best players always seem to get too much criticism and too much credit.

If we really want to see who is to blame for the turnovers its in this order:
Player - Turnover per minute played
Nathan Laing, 0.099
A.J. Davis, 0.087

And even that isn't really fair, because Nathan, AJ and BJ handle the ball way more than the other players.

I agreed (except that he's at 1.5:1, not 2:1). Despite only 2 credited assists Saturday, he initiated several passing sequences that led to assists! Without a point guard last year, we were helpless in bringing it up against the press or directing the offense (though Chance did exceptionally).

Yet we're still among the very bottom in the nation in turnovers, assists, assist to turnover, steals, categories that require quickness or ball handling -- likely the worst in school history. But we're easily the best in our history in rebounding and defense, which make up for a lot, enough to often beat decent teams despite 20 turnovers, 1 steals, and 7 total assists.

BJ is much better than as a frosh and improving with every game. He has a huge upside for growth. Saturday's post-game interview convinced me he knows exactly what he has to continue working on.

Reactions: UCFhonors
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT