ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Williams: made 23 3's in Summer League + video last game

UCFProf

Golden Knight
Nov 13, 2011
Injury forced him to miss first 3 games. Once he became a starter, even without their UK center, Heat started winning games! Shot 23/59 (39%). But they couldn't get him the ball during either OT period in tourney loss (he'd made 6 for 9 of his 3's in regulation). And who says he's only a catch and shoot guy. Watch this as announcers rave: http://www.nba.com/video/2017/07/15/20170715-mia-mem-williams-three

Injury forced him to miss first 3 games. Once he became a starter, even without their UK center, Heat started winning games! Shot 23/59 (39%). But they couldn't get him the ball during either OT period in tourney loss (he'd made 6 for 9 of his 3's in regulation). And who says he's only a catch and shoot guy. Watch this as announcers rave: http://www.nba.com/video/2017/07/15/20170715-mia-mem-williams-three
But what about his defense? :)
I hope he gets a shot.

But what about his defense? :)
I hope he gets a shot.
Me, too. Miami was playing an undersized lineup, so he was often forced to play a swing man. I never saw him beat down court on breaks (one of his strong points at UCF, helping to cut in half the number of fast break baskets we surrendered last year). On half-court defense, he was fairly successful in keeping his man in front of him, and didn't give up open shots.

I looked up 2 way contract. Can only play in 45 games max for NBA team. Only make $279K max with the rest of the games in G League. Only for 1 team.
https://www.sbnation.com/platform/a...-2017-summer-league-agents-worried-about-them
Great find about Matt, B&G. What a great quote:
“He looked much more like a guy who could get a two-way contract,” the scout said. “He has the one skill – three-point shooting. He’s totally one dimensional but is a good athlete, has a good body and a good looking shot. His numbers from college on threes were pretty good. He’s more viable than I initially thought.”
The irony in this piece is how the same prevailing NBA thinking that might have kept Tacko from getting drafted is what favors Matt getting a foot in the door:
"Such as fashionable these days, Williams routinely pulls up from several feet behind the three-point line. This isn’t just flashy, it helps spread the floor even more...You can never have enough three-point shooting."

Great find about Matt, B&G. What a great quote:
“He looked much more like a guy who could get a two-way contract,” the scout said. “He has the one skill – three-point shooting. He’s totally one dimensional but is a good athlete, has a good body and a good looking shot. His numbers from college on threes were pretty good. He’s more viable than I initially thought.”
The irony in this piece is how the same prevailing NBA thinking that might have kept Tacko from getting drafted is what favors Matt getting a foot in the door:
"Such as fashionable these days, Williams routinely pulls up from several feet behind the three-point line. This isn’t just flashy, it helps spread the floor even more...You can never have enough three-point shooting."
If Matt believes he can play in NBA right now it's best to not sign a 2 way contract. Better off going to G League and being a free agent that can sign with any team at any time. But if only Heat show interest and wait for Ellington to leave to have Matt replace him the 2 way may be good to get feet wet.

Reactions: UCFProf
Wow! This gets him to Miami's training camp, get steadily better, and a chance to make the team or be picked up by another NBA team (today's Sentinel indicates Magic badly need another 3-point shooter). I'd say he made the right decision staying with the Knights last year (despite all logic).

Though the odds are still against him, he's gotten a lot farther than Keith or Isaiah, despite their flashier college careers, athleticism, and court dominance. His work ethic helped him blossom this year. What if he latches on to a team sometime this year and UCF send a couple more to the pros next year? That puts UCF into an elite Wichita State class of NBA feeder schools. Hear that, P5?

Wow! This gets him to Miami's training camp, get steadily better, and a chance to make the team or be picked up by another NBA team (today's Sentinel indicates Magic badly need another 3-point shooter). I'd say he made the right decision staying with the Knights last year (despite all logic).

Though the odds are still against him, he's gotten a lot farther than Keith or Isaiah, despite their flashier college careers, athleticism, and court dominance. His work ethic helped him blossom this year. What if he latches on to a team sometime this year and UCF send a couple more to the pros next year? That puts UCF into an elite Wichita State class of NBA feeder schools. Hear that, P5?
He declined a two way contract for now. Good choice. They also can have I believe 18 guys on roster potentially. Right now they are at 16 or 17. He has a legit shot.

Reactions: UCFProf
Absolutely, but some players have already taken it, including this Heat player.
Yeah the guy from Orlando Summer Team. If that team didn't want you, your options may be limited and pretty much forced to take it or go overseas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT