ADVERTISEMENT

Men’s Basketball Preview: The final War on I-4?

ucf1

Bronze Knight
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2001
"Plain and simple, this is a revenge game. In their first meeting the Knights hit what was arguably their low point of the season. This is certainly a game the Knights should win" opines
Sons of UCF contributor John Weis.

Click here for the preview.

Reactions: DeezKnights
one team has genuine hate and motivation ..the other seems ‘settled’

rotten culture lately w athletics . Women’s Basketball taking charter selfies after getting their ass kicked , etc

• Angry
Reactions: Knight59
Just an embarrassing level of effort, and you get smoked by your rival twice, and they suck.

rotten culture lately w athletics . Women’s Basketball taking charter selfies after getting their ass kicked , etc
This. Our BB program is a joke. We’re moving to what can arguably be called the best BB conference in the country and this is the product we’re fielding. Are fans going to be happy being KU or Baylor’s bye/practice games? We haven’t been competitive in the weak American; we’re going to get absolutely embarrassed every game in the Big XII. Bet Terry’s gonna love sitting in conference meetings when the subject of basketball season comes up. Is this level of effort/production from coaching staff and players acceptable to him? Just asking for a few dozen friends and alums….

Last edited:
We need a new staff to breathe life into us. I would have canned Dawkins 2 years ago. Team is flat. Energy is flat. We have good talent. No reason we lose many of the games we have. And next year the team is a rebuild….again.

Dawkins and staff ready to collect big 12 paychecks for taking Ls.

Watching team huddle in final timeout in a close game against rival, everyone has same demeanor as Dawkins, sullen and just wanting to go home.

giphy.gif

• Sad
Same coach, same results. When will you knuckleheads learn-never! Hendricks will be gone by spring or at the very least nest season. I told you so, I told you so. This is like looking ther the same pocket over and over trying to find your car keys and guess what--they're still not there. Congrats to USF they stuck to the knights, TWICE.

Same coach, same results. When will you knuckleheads learn-never! Hendricks will be gone by spring or at the very least nest season. I told you so, I told you so. This is like looking ther the same pocket over and over trying to find your car keys and guess what--they're still not there. Congrats to USF they stuck to the knights, TWICE.
And USF was mediocre at best....so where does that leave us? It’s time for a change.

Our athletic programs took a huge leap forward under Danny White. Now, we’re moving to a P5 conference and most of our teams are on a downward slide or not showing any noticeable improvement. Why? We’re receiving record donations to our athletic department, vastly increased conference $$$, new facilities or upgrades, etc, etc. but our teams are getting worse and we continue to pay coaches for mediocre results, year after year. Or our better coaches are leaving for other P5s, and we’re hiring retreads or coaches with no experience, never going for the big hire that might actually change our trajectory. What happened to the school with the chip on their shoulder?!? I remember hearing a saying while I was in school, something like “Reach For The Stars”… musta seen it at UF, FSU, or maybe SFU.

Last edited:
Basketball has never been good but there were plenty of seasons when the level of effort was better, even though the talent wasn’t there up-and-down the roster. Some of the AJ Rompza and Keith Clanton teams were my favorites.

We have a 1st round NBA guy on our roster and all we can manage is 6-9 in conference play so far, including getting punked twice by your 5-10 rival. We started 13-4, then have just sh-t-the-bed and gone 2-8. I hate to go this route but I hope we lose the last 3 (and get bounced out of the conference tourney quickly) so we can stick a fork in Dawkins.

Last edited:
Our athletic programs took a huge leap forward under Danny White. Now, we’re moving to a P5 conference and most of our teams are on a downward slide or not showing any noticeable improvement. Why? We’re receiving record donations to our athletic department, vastly increased conference $$$, new facilities or upgrades, etc, etc. but our teams are getting worse and we continue to pay coaches for mediocre results, year after year. Or our better coaches are leaving for other P5s, and we’re hiring retreads or coaches with no experience, never going for the big hire that might actually change our trajectory. What happened to the school with the chip on their shoulder?!? I remember hearing a saying while I was in school, something like “Reach For The Stars”… musta seen it at UF, FSU, or maybe SFU.
Everything is cyclical. DW was the best AD in America. I wish we could have kept him.

I think most on here have been saying that for awhile…. you are def not alone so not sure who you’re preaching to

Speraw and Donnie did so much with so little. Coached up players and built a team over years compared to Dawkins one and done style where every year is a new roster.

I don’t think DJ ever made tourney. He wasn’t good either.
Back in the Torchy days we were exceptional at a much lower level. When we went D1 initially it was a money grab a lot of games against big time opponents Kirk was a good guy but he caught a break as we went into conferences where we were the real Dog, part of that was Kirk but the university started to really grow and become a magnet. Donnie had some nice wins ( top 5 UConn n UF) but we all all know what went down Now we r in a conference that we should compete although Houston is a Natty team n Memphis does it differently w Hardaway ( I don’t know if I wanna go there but it seems athletics in college are going there n education is taking a back seat). Next year is a different level that we n most programs have not nor will ever see. We r and will not be ready and that is a progression that will be very difficult n few, if any, could make without major headaches Patience is gonna be needed whether we move on from Johnny ( one of the classiest and cleanest coaches u will find) or not. I’m not saying we stay or move on from him but whoever jumps in that seat is in for a rough ride. West Virginia is in the tourney (not even last 4 in) with 5 conference wins. Texas Tech just got there first conference win 2 weeks ago n is a tourney contender

Last edited:
That W against the gators was so much fun….loved yelling at their fans afterwards and hearing UCF chants ring throughout the Amway

Dawkins isn't getting it done. IDK what will keep him here other than buyout money at this point.

Last edited:
I’m not saying we stay or move on from him but whoever jumps in that seat is in for a rough ride.
The longer you wait to make a move, the longer the program looks like an undesirable doormat in the B12 not unlike Kansas/Vanderbilt for football. The school has to show commitment to the the program.

Also Mohajir has to show he sets expectations. Right now the baseball team and men's basketball team seems to consider mediocrity or worse as acceptable. A lot of other sports seem to be heading that way, women's basketball, softball now off to a bad start. If football team can't get it done, the school will look like they are here to just collect paychecks.

Reactions: jtGoldenKnights
The longer you wait to make a move, the longer the program looks like an undesirable doormat in the B12 not unlike Kansas/Vanderbilt for football. The school has to show commitment to the the program.

Also Mohajir has to show he sets expectations. Right now the baseball team and men's basketball team seems to consider mediocrity or worse as acceptable. A lot of other sports seem to be heading that way, women's basketball, softball now off to a bad start. If football team can't get it done, the school will look like they are here to just collect paychecks.
I don’t know that you can sit a lot on the lap of the new AD. A lot of the coaches contracts were committed to prior to his arrival. The basketball and baseball were already signed with multiple years on the contract before he got here, so his hands are somewhat tied there (Financial buyouts) Joining the Big 12 is a new animal and there is no way that you were going to fire a coach upon arrival, which was a year and a half ago without seeing what substance they bring to the table. It’s quite common that a coach gets at the minimum of three years before any evaluation can take place, and even that is a small amount of time. As for the coaches that he did not extend the initial contracts before he got here, they have financial ramifications as such I don’t think he should be evaluated on them and they should be given time to prove themselves. I think time is running out on some coaches and he will make a decision but as of right now the
AD has only been on the job for about two years. His first hire was Gus and that was almost a hurried hire and I don’t think that he could’ve done better at the time. I like and I’m impressed on how he’s handled the major transition so far, but that has all been directed towards to the conference and Ucf‘s initiation into the conference.

As for baseball I think you’re going to see a new emphasis with the big money that was just tendered into the program from the anonymous donor.

Time will tell either way

Last edited:
I divorced myself of UCF basketball last week. Glad I found something else to do and not watch that game last night. Gonna have to be way better for next year. Agreed on the feeling of UCF sports of late. I hate losing and I hate pulling for a team that is losing. I got no answers and am just a fan. Firing a coach sometimes does ignite a team and fans. I do like Dawkins, but geezus h kris kringle...gotta win...

I divorced myself of UCF basketball last week. Glad I found something else to do and not watch that game last night. Gonna have to be way better for next year. Agreed on the feeling of UCF sports of late. I hate losing and I hate pulling for a team that is losing. I got no answers and am just a fan. Firing a coach sometimes does ignite a team and fans. I do like Dawkins, but geezus h kris kringle...gotta win...
Agree, someone with some sense. There are lots of gret books out there. Learn toi cook or paint. Have another life. Good luck.

Reactions: Central Floridave
I’ve read so many dumb excuses for Dawkins on UCF twitter

‘We can’t do any better’

‘Invest first’

sounding like some football fans before the Frost hire . It will never compare to Football as an attractive job but cmon. FGCU made an a more entertaining run than UCF has in our program history and they play in a dump compared to our Arena

also to add to the overall mood of athletics lately Baseball underachieving just about every year is even more inexcusable

The job is becoming way more desirable just by competing in the Big12 next season. Athletes and coaches want to compete against the best and the Big12 is the best basketball conference in the country. Dawkins hasn't earned the opportunity to lead this team into the new conference and he's had way more than enough time to show it.
Is it? The program has underachieved for years. Is in the bottom 3rd in budget in AAC, which means will be the bottom in B12. Essentially you are going into a job where you are at a severe disadvantage. Does coaches, top players clamor for Vanderbilt, Kansas, Rutgers in football?

They should have been building up the basketball program leading into the B12, instead its going to be at its lowest when going in.

In each of the last four years the team has never been above .500 in games played after January 15th. When it comes to crunch time, the team folds, and the players that actually contribute transfer out.

Is it? The program has underachieved for years. Is in the bottom 3rd in budget in AAC, which means will be the bottom in B12. Essentially you are going into a job where you are at a severe disadvantage. Does coaches, top players clamor for Vanderbilt, Kansas, Rutgers in football?

They should have been building up the basketball program leading into the B12, instead its going to be at its lowest when going in.

In each of the last four years the team has never been above .500 in games played after January 15th. When it comes to crunch time, the team folds, and the players that actually contribute transfer out.

I think it's going to be much more attractive than a UCF program staying in the AAC would be, which is all I'm comparing it to. We will probably soon be paying a higher salary to the coaching staff and have more NIL $$ than UCF in the AAC could ever afford, which is usually the main attraction. Low expectations to win immediately gives the new coach an opportunity to mold the squad while knowing results aren't immediately expected. Basketball doesn't require as huge of a roster turnover of star players as it would in football.

Selling the best hoops conference in the country with the allure of living/competing in FL is unique and should help. Investments have to be made, though, for sure in order to really be competitive in the new league. Think we're all agreed there.

Reactions: Oldest Man
I don’t think DJ ever made tourney. He wasn’t good either.
Under DJ we made the CBI Finals and got bounced out of the NIT in the first round, then we did nothing in his final 4 seasons.

He was an average coach. I did think he did a better job than Dawkins at identifying high school talent and developing it (he was here 2010 to 2016): Isaiah Sykes (he’s 2010…is he a DJ recruit or did DJ inherit him from Speraw??? In any case, he became better every season), Matt Williams, BJ Taylor, Tacko, and Chad Brown.

Dawkins (in six seasons): Darin “Steve Smith” Green and Taylor Hendricks.

With so much roster churn at almost every program, it is difficult to be successful anywhere.

Exactly. Johnny = just not really a good coach. It's just not there.

I’ve read so many dumb excuses for Dawkins on UCF twitter

‘We can’t do any better’

‘Invest first’

sounding like some football fans before the Frost hire . It will never compare to Football as an attractive job but cmon. FGCU made an a more entertaining run than UCF has in our program history and they play in a dump compared to our Arena

also to add to the overall mood of athletics lately Baseball underachieving just about every year is even more inexcusable
The coaching is just not there. How many usf players either dunked or made layup? Nobody boxing out of playing defense. No rebounding....ugh! And we have almost zero low post play. The only time Johnny did well was with what he inherited from Donnie Jones. The Tacko, BJ, Chad Brown, Aubrey thing!

Reactions: Poolside Knight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT