ADVERTISEMENT

MIKE HUGUENIN from Gridiron Now

Mikesi

Diamond Knight
Oct 17, 2013
Some say he's as knowledgeable about college football as anyone and he's saying that our weakness next year is going to be our defense and we are looking at 7-5 with a cap of 8-4.

He said that our entire secondary is being replaced. It just goes to show you that sometimes us as casual fans that closely follows a program may know more about our team than "experts" that follow EVERY team.

I fully expect our secondary to be better next year after gaining a little experience. Anyone who analyzed the last few games could see that there were major issues back there.

Other than the transfer kid I'm not convinced that Neal, Gibson, and company are better than those we're losing.

Other than the transfer kid I'm not convinced that Neal, Gibson, and company are better than those we're losing.
Thing is, they played well against Tulane which had one of the worst passing attacks in the FBS. After that, there was just big play after big play given up vs. Tulsa, USF and lastly Arkansas State. They were very overrated IMO. Killins played well at times. The rest of the secondary was called for a ton of penalties all year and was very inconsistent.

Reactions: Poolside Knight

And Causey & Collier. Athletically, they are better. Just got to be in the right position to make plays. The front line should be better. There is potential at the LB with the talent coming in.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Some say he's as knowledgeable about college football as anyone .....

Whoever says that will be the first.

Everyone knows that UCF is losing their entire starting secondary to graduation...plus 3 out of their 4 starting LB's.

That wasn't a secret to anyone.

Everyone knows that UCF is losing their entire starting secondary to graduation...plus 3 out of their 4 starting LB's.

He's very well respected. Research it a little before you just throw out a statement. Who's more knowledgeable. Phil Steele? He's really whiffed on us the past 2 years. Point is, national experts are just that. National. That's the point.

Anyway, I'm not the least bit upset that we are losing our entire starting secondary. Everyone knows it, but do they know that it was very mediocre at best and the new guys have the potential to be much better? Possibly even pretty soon.

I'm more concerned about the 3 open postions at LB, but Burkett has played a lot, so it's really only 2.

When we had no defensive line, your secondary is forced to help stop the run, leaving them open to play action passes. Once opponents discovered that running up the middle assured a victory, the season was all over.

Hopefully any steps backward by the defense are covered by steps forward with the offense. How many times did the offense totally shut down for entire quarters or halves and force the defense to keep us alive? Hopefully there's less of that next year.

Hopefully any steps backward by the defense are covered by steps forward with the offense. How many times did the offense totally shut down for entire quarters or halves and force the defense to keep us alive? Hopefully there's less of that next year.
Yeah, we're up for some 45-38 wins next season like USF, Tulsa, Navy, and Memphis always have.

Yeah, we're up for some 45-38 wins next season like USF, Tulsa, Navy, and Memphis always have.
If our o-line doesn't turn it around, we are up for some 45-10 losses next season. I hope I am wrong, but I don't see us bowling next season unless we get in as a 5-7.

If our secondary gets worse and is still on the field for three quarters of the game, it will be a long season. We're dealing with a learning curve by the coaches on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball. Teams were able to use our aggressiveness against us, but a huge factor was that the team was exhausted from the offense not being able to sustain a drive, or even slow down the pace to give the defense a rest. I will never understand why we would go uptempo when it's clear the defense needs a rest and the offense can't move the ball. That's bad football.

Reactions: muckdawg24

Is Chequan Burkett coming back or transferring?

This is nothing new for most...

Gone on D: 4 Secondary, 3 LB's. Plus, we lose 3 backup LBs.
What we add in the Secondary: 4 backups that will now be starters and 3 kids that were red-shirting this year. Youth...is it better...who knows. I guess we'll see.
What we add at LB: We only have 4 players with any experience at all. There were only two kids from the 2016 class, and only 2 for the 2017 class. Hopefully we pull in two more LBs by signing day. If it weren't for the machine that is "The Griffin", this unit would be average if it over-performed. With "The Griffin" all over the field it may...emphasis on may...be average at best.
What we add at DL: All 3 starters come back. 5 DL came in from the 2016 class and I don't think any of them played this year. 5 new DL come in for 2017, with 4 of them being 3-star. I wonder of a couple of them might end being depth at LB. I'm psyched to see how all this DL talent pans out. We've never had anywhere near this kind of talent before (on paper).

Gone on O: Center, and two guys that were sparingly used (Oldham and Wilson). No need to break this down too much. WR/RB/TE: At the skill positions there is a plethora of young and existing talent.
What we add at OL: There were 4 2016 guys. According to the depth chart only 1 played (I could be wrong on that). 4 more so far for the 2017 class. We can't be any worse as a unit...can we?
What we add at QB: Hopefully a new starter. Milton was probably the best option for 2016, regardless of how bad he looked at times. God knows he should improve...but how much is a big question. I'm just hoping at one of the first practices in the Fall, Darriel Mack rolls out and throws a rope 30 yards down the field to a WR, and Frost goes, "Yeah. I gotta roll with that", and by game 5 he is the starter, which means we'll have to go through growing pains some more.

Schedule:
OOC are all winnable: FIU, GaTech, Maryland, and Maine.
Conference: Home - UConn, ECU, Memphis, and USF; Away - Cincy, Navy, SMU and Temple.

Intangibles:
The team looked gassed at the bowl game (physically and mentally). I think it's been a long, long 1 year or so for them learning a new offense, new ways to practice, new coaches, etc... This year that kind of adjustment won't have to occur for the bulk of the team. They can focus more on details...beyond the basic fundamentals of what is expected in the offense and defense. Plus, players should better understand what is expected of them on and off the field.

Results:
I just don't see how the QB and OL isn't an issue again next season (with Milton or whoever), so I'm going to go with 6-6 again. Two OOC wins. Conference schedule is pretty tough with only UConn and SMU being games we should win on paper. The rest of the games are toss-ups in my opinion. 2018 should be the year we make a big jump in wins. You can see it if the players and team progress.

He's very well respected. Research it a little before you just throw out a statement.

wtf?

Ah...anyone that has been in Orlando for awhile knows what a clown he is as Mike basically was one of the 2 that ran the local paper's sports section into the ground...and would belittle UCF every chance he got.

He and his boss called UCF's inaugural CUSA season and the run to their Conf Championship Game as "Division II Football".

Maybe it is YOU that needs to do some research on the background of this clown as many of his are very familiar with the crap that he would throw our way for years.

Reactions: UCFProf
The other X factor is whether the AAC opposition overall declines in talent. The P-5 have raided our coaches and stolen our recruits at unprecedented rates. That could allow us to sail through the conference if teams like Temple and Houston are weaker. In other words, our preoccupation with losing recruits may be part of a broader attack on the AAC.

Thing is, they played well against Tulane which had one of the worst passing attacks in the FBS. After that, there was just big play after big play given up vs. Tulsa, USF and lastly Arkansas State. They were very overrated IMO. Killins played well at times. The rest of the secondary was called for a ton of penalties all year and was very inconsistent.
The secondary was experienced but not very talented. The one Griffin twin had terrible ball skills.

And it's a good thing Collier enrolled early bc Miami is sniffing around for another DB & is even looking at the other UCF Safety commit Tariq. Collier is going to be very good.

Reactions: Mikesi
wtf?

Ah...anyone that has been in Orlando for awhile knows what a clown he is as Mike basically was one of the 2 that ran the local paper's sports section into the ground...and would belittle UCF every chance he got.

He and his boss called UCF's inaugural CUSA season and the run to their Conf Championship Game as "Division II Football".

Maybe it is YOU that needs to do some research on the background of this clown as many of his are very familiar with the crap that he would throw our way for years.
WTF?

Sounds like YOU have more of personal issue with him You're comparing one issue you have with his knowledge of college football. One has nothing to do with the other. Anyway.., enough of this tangent. Probably better served on the "elite" Rivals "pay" board

Sounds like a personal issue.

Actually, it was a business failure issue...as his leadership of the sports department was one of the downfalls of the Sentinel losing almost 100,000 in circulation and the paper is now just a fraction of what it once was.

It certainly seems that it was you that didn't know anything about his background.

The secondary was experienced but not very talented. The one Griffin twin had terrible ball skills.

And it's a good thing Collier enrolled early bc Miami is sniffing around for another DB & is even looking at the other UCF Safety commit Tariq. Collier is going to be very good.
Agree 100%. It always bothers me when a DB fails to learn how to look back at the QB when defending a receiver just before the reception.

Actually, it was a business failure issue...as his leadership of the sports department was one of the downfalls of the Sentinel losing almost 100,000 in circulation and the paper is now just a fraction of what it once was.

It certainly seems that it was you that didn't know anything about his background.
Oh BTW, having terrible sports columnists like Greene and the Internet had NOTHING to do with the Sentinel failing.

Some say he's as knowledgeable about college football as anyone and he's saying that our weakness next year is going to be our defense and we are looking at 7-5 with a cap of 8-4.

He said that our entire secondary is being replaced. It just goes to show you that sometimes us as casual fans that closely follows a program may know more about our team than "experts" that follow EVERY team.

I fully expect our secondary to be better next year after gaining a little experience. Anyone who analyzed the last few games could see that there were major issues back there.
this could go either way.... :-( .............IMHO :)

This is nothing new for most...

Gone on D: 4 Secondary, 3 LB's. Plus, we lose 3 backup LBs.
What we add in the Secondary: 4 backups that will now be starters and 3 kids that were red-shirting this year. Youth...is it better...who knows. I guess we'll see.
What we add at LB: We only have 4 players with any experience at all. There were only two kids from the 2016 class, and only 2 for the 2017 class. Hopefully we pull in two more LBs by signing day. If it weren't for the machine that is "The Griffin", this unit would be average if it over-performed. With "The Griffin" all over the field it may...emphasis on may...be average at best.
What we add at DL: All 3 starters come back. 5 DL came in from the 2016 class and I don't think any of them played this year. 5 new DL come in for 2017, with 4 of them being 3-star. I wonder of a couple of them might end being depth at LB. I'm psyched to see how all this DL talent pans out. We've never had anywhere near this kind of talent before (on paper).

Gone on O: Center, and two guys that were sparingly used (Oldham and Wilson). No need to break this down too much. WR/RB/TE: At the skill positions there is a plethora of young and existing talent.
What we add at OL: There were 4 2016 guys. According to the depth chart only 1 played (I could be wrong on that). 4 more so far for the 2017 class. We can't be any worse as a unit...can we?
What we add at QB: Hopefully a new starter. Milton was probably the best option for 2016, regardless of how bad he looked at times. God knows he should improve...but how much is a big question. I'm just hoping at one of the first practices in the Fall, Darriel Mack rolls out and throws a rope 30 yards down the field to a WR, and Frost goes, "Yeah. I gotta roll with that", and by game 5 he is the starter, which means we'll have to go through growing pains some more.

Schedule:
OOC are all winnable: FIU, GaTech, Maryland, and Maine.
Conference: Home - UConn, ECU, Memphis, and USF; Away - Cincy, Navy, SMU and Temple.

Intangibles:
The team looked gassed at the bowl game (physically and mentally). I think it's been a long, long 1 year or so for them learning a new offense, new ways to practice, new coaches, etc... This year that kind of adjustment won't have to occur for the bulk of the team. They can focus more on details...beyond the basic fundamentals of what is expected in the offense and defense. Plus, players should better understand what is expected of them on and off the field.

Results:
I just don't see how the QB and OL isn't an issue again next season (with Milton or whoever), so I'm going to go with 6-6 again. Two OOC wins. Conference schedule is pretty tough with only UConn and SMU being games we should win on paper. The rest of the games are toss-ups in my opinion. 2018 should be the year we make a big jump in wins. You can see it if the players and team progress.
Excellent write up Matt. We need you instead of Greene. Yeah....unless some miracles happen in the O-line and defensive secondary.....6-6

Reactions: Mikesi
Oh BTW, having terrible sports columnists like Greene and the Internet had NOTHING to do with the Sentinel failing.
You mean "likely has little or very little to do..." But it is a vicious cycle. Circulation drives ad which pays for content which attracts circulation. So with crashing advertising revenue (their only source of revenue because they lose money on subscribers), the paper gets thinner and less informative.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT