ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Sims-Walker trash talking UCF and Kevin Smith

CFKnight

Silver Knight
Aug 5, 2009
Anyone else watching these Facebook Rants? I'll try to post screen shots.

Basically, Sims-Walker was upset at UCF Alumni Association and Letterman Club. He's not a fan of all the staff changes.

Then, Kevin Smith chimed in. He was saying to cool it, UCF has done a lot for us.

Then Sims-Walker goes for the drop the mic / end of discussion / OMG I can't believe he said that reply

IMG_0045.png

IMG_0043.png

IMG_0044.png

IMG_0046.png

Asante Samuel was just on the sideline Saturday and Kyle Israel mentioned in that last podcast that Frost has much more of an open door policy for the Football building than GOL did.

Has Sims-Walker done anything where they don't want him around?

So one guy has class and the other doesn't. Kevin has it exactly right, "our society can't afford more people who care only about themselves," UCF can't either! In life there are "uniters" and "dividers." Can you spot who is who?

Last edited:
He wants to get paid for appearances at UCF.

Whoa! That's a bit over the top. That's not true.

I think its more about all-access to facilities. Exclusive use of the Indoor over the Summer. That sort of thing.

Whoa! That's a bit over the top. That's not true.

I think its more about all-access to facilities. Exclusive use of the Indoor over the Summer. That sort of thing.

like my last post said everything I've heard about Frost is that he is being open to former players, I doubt he wouldn't allow them to work out at the Football building during the offseason unless there is something about MSW that we don't know about

I know that players had a problem back in the day because as soon as you made the NFL UCF would call the player and ask for a donation. Some of the ex players have been asked to leave because they have tried to get players to sign with certain agents.

As I've said, Walker sacrificed more than most UCF players did, willingly switching to DB for most of GOL's first season. O'Leary didn't take a pay cut for going 0-12 that season, but Walker didn't get a raise from $0/year. Both were starters with a couple good seasons in the NFL before injuries shut down their careers. The NFL is by far the lowest paying (vs. NBA, NHL, and MLB), careers short, expected life span is 53, and crippling pain the worst. The share of the gate going to salaries has dramatically fallen as billionaire owners grab an ever-increasing portion. Did Mike get to finish his degree? If not, he's not exactly employable. College and pro football can be heartless. We don't know his situation causing these rants. Perhaps someone needs to reach out to him. Could be a cry for help.

Go Kevin Smith! I'm on his side with this argument. True to the School. That is why he is still working for UCF. Plus, he came back and got his degree. He is smart dude and loyal. Plus, he is 24K!!!

"soon as you made the NFL UCF would call the player and ask for a donation"

Sort of what they did to me as soon as I graduated and got a job? Ask for money from alumni....uh...DUH....

If I donate money can I work out in UCF facility, get sideline passes, and get paid for my autograph?

In my opinion, Come back and support your alma mater, remember the great times you had, and don't ask for anything in return. Geezus...

Sorry, wasn't very clear. The problem wasn't them asking them for money the problem was UCF was telling them how much they thought they should donate.

Go Kevin Smith! I'm on his side with this argument. True to the School. That is why he is still working for UCF. Plus, he came back and got his degree. He is smart dude and loyal. Plus, he is 24K!!!

"soon as you made the NFL UCF would call the player and ask for a donation"
They routinely ask us faculty for donations, then charge us $320 a year for parking in lots where there are no spaces. The result: UCF has a pitiful endowment and always has, no matter how may Foundation heads they fire. One year, I was asked to man the phone banks to call alums. Nobody told me they had been called only a month earlier. Of course, it was dinner time. Did I ever get swore at! After that experience, I had no trouble turning down my 3 alma maters. UCF's main problem: most grads stay in the region where wages are low and career opportunities are often so poor.

UCF's main problem is most graduates are between the ages of 24-40 and have young families and are buying houses. Give it 20 years or so and we will be able to raise all the money we need.

It can't be easy negotiating these kinds of situations. You can't just give all former players unfettered access to the current players and facilities. Frost comes in and he's tasked with turning around a program in short order. He needs his team and his staff focused on winning ballgames, not stroking the egos of former ballers or waiting for them to finish up on the squat rack to get a rep in. This probably could've been handled behind the scenes amicably but Mike decided to make a spectacle of himself on social media. Distractions just can't be tolerated right now.

The UCF Football Letterman Club is a joke. It has been going through some changes, but is still really bad.

It can't be easy negotiating these kinds of situations. You can't just give all former players unfettered access to the current players and facilities. Frost comes in and he's tasked with turning around a program in short order. He needs his team and his staff focused on winning ballgames, not stroking the egos of former ballers or waiting for them to finish up on the squat rack to get a rep in. This probably could've been handled behind the scenes amicably but Mike decided to make a spectacle of himself on social media. Distractions just can't be tolerated right now.

Not to mention all the potential NCAA violations that can occur with players interacting with pro players. I get that pro players are probably hit up all the time for money from all directions. So I understand some of the bitterness. But someone like Mike Simms Walker has a lot to be thankful for at UCF. UCF does not get 4 and 5 star recruits, so none of those player are doing UCF a favor by playing here. As a father of a rising senior getting ready to send his child to college I know first hand how much that education is worth. Even with top notch grades, AP courses, decent SAT and scholarships I am looking at $17,000 a year for just tuition room and board. If she was an average student it would be more like $30,000-$40,000 a year. With all the extras that football players get in terms of tutors, scheduling preferences, nice housing etc, I have zero tolerance for the "player got paid $0 while playing at UCF line".

In short UCF owes Mike Sims Walker nothing. If he does not feel he has any obligation to UCF so be it. But stop the trash talk on social media. Makes you look like a spoiled prima donna

As I've said, Walker sacrificed more than most UCF players did, willingly switching to DB for most of GOL's first season. O'Leary didn't take a pay cut for going 0-12 that season, but Walker didn't get a raise from $0/year. Both were starters with a couple good seasons in the NFL before injuries shut down their careers. The NFL is by far the lowest paying (vs. NBA, NHL, and MLB), careers short, expected life span is 53, and crippling pain the worst. The share of the gate going to salaries has dramatically fallen as billionaire owners grab an ever-increasing portion. Did Mike get to finish his degree? If not, he's not exactly employable. College and pro football can be heartless. We don't know his situation causing these rants. Perhaps someone needs to reach out to him. Could be a cry for help.

Walker did not sacrifice squat. He was stuck in the same place all the players were at that time. He did what players should do, move where he is needed and it did not hurt his career options at all. That said, I bet he is hit up all the time for money from all kinds of people who think that because he played in the NFL that he has money. I am sure that wears thin. If he does not want to be a part of the UCF letterman's club fine, but don't be an ass about it on social media.

Reactions: Mikesi
UCF's main problem is most graduates are between the ages of 24-40 and have young families and are buying houses. Give it 20 years or so and we will be able to raise all the money we need.

Bingo. The vast majority of our alums are still early in their careers, making under 6 figures while supporting young families, buying houses, and paying off student loans. Give it 20 years and those people will be late in their career, kids moved out, debt paid off, and have a little money to spread around.

Until then all UCF has to draw on is the handful of FTU grads who are already at that stage in life, and the handful of young UCF grads who got rich quick - such as professional athletes.

Someone tell this guy that most of the UCF players that have made it to the NFL owe the school a lot more than the school owes them. More than likely they were not recruited by a top program and were probably a 2 or 0 star prospect. UCF built them into a player capable of getting that NFL contract. So...yeah...they asked you for a donation as soon as you made the NFL...and you should have given it.

Imagine that...a former DB acting like a diva. Who would ever have guessed?

Someone tell this guy that most of the UCF players that have made it to the NFL owe the school a lot more than the school owes them. More than likely they were not recruited by a top program and were probably a 2 or 0 star prospect. UCF built them into a player capable of getting that NFL contract. So...yeah...they asked you for a donation as soon as you made the NFL...and you should have given it.

Imagine that...a former DB acting like a diva. Who would ever have guessed?
Yeah., name me one player in the NFL that graduated from UCF that doesn't owe the college more than the college owes them? Even Josh Robinson, who was a highly recruited player in HS wouldn't have gotten all of the PT that he did at UCF. That PT put him in the NFL after his junior season

Reactions: jetsaholic
He wants to get paid for appearances at UCF.
I'm trying to figure out all of these non-paid appearances he's made for the school. The only advertised appearance I remember him making was at a men's basketball game his second or third year in the NFL. He hasn't been at any of the UCF alumni in the NFL signings as far as I'm aware.

Personally, this seems like sour grapes for not being retained on the coaching staff like Kevin was.

They've been saying those exact words for over 25 years. The proof: UCF's endowment is hardly bigger that it was in the mid-90s (and the recession didn't help). We now have tens of thousands of our 300K alums in the 40+ range. The problem in that even they don't make much around here. Our retirement wages here are close to the starting salary in Seattle, Minneapolis, Boston, San Jose, D.C., or NYC. A UCF degree is most valuable if you stay in the area to take advantage of our deep network and local rep, which limits your career potential.

I would lik to see where you got the 300k alumni 40+. I am not saying you are lying, but the math is not adding up to me.

Yeah., name me one player in the NFL that graduated from UCF that doesn't owe the college more than the college owes them? Even Josh Robinson, who was a highly recruited player in HS wouldn't have gotten all of the PT that he did at UCF. That PT put him in the NFL after his junior season

True...but Josh Robinson was a 4 star recruit that chose UCF over Michigan...but yes, that did probably lead to more early PT, which certainly accelerated his development.

In regards to Walker...he was a pretty high profile local player...and his recruitment came down to UCF and Tennessee...but he stuck hard with his early commitment to the Knights.

NOTE: I still remember asking a question to Coach O'Leary prior to the 2005 finale game at Rice...who at the time had the WORST and one of the oldest artificial turfs in CUSA...and it was that old, cheap artificial turf that caught Walker's cleat, which caused his devastating ACL injury in UCF's East Division and HOME CUSA Championship Game clinching game...and somewhat ironically, it was Brandon Marshall, who status soared with Walker out, that lead to his huge final 2 games (and All-Star game too), which seemed to begin to launch his career.

Walker came back in 2006, and it seemed he had lost a tenth or two of his speed...but he still made it to the "show" but unfortunately for him, the Jags, who had a solid 2007 season...that was their last winning season since then...

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikesi and UCFProf
Sorry, wasn't very clear. The problem wasn't them asking them for money the problem was UCF was telling them how much they thought they should donate.

Just curious, where did you get the information that they were "telling them how much they should donate"?

True...but Josh Robinson was a 4 star recruit that chose UCF over Michigan...but yes, that did probably lead to more early PT, which certainly accelerated his development.

In regards to Walker...he was a pretty high profile local player...and his recruitment came down to UCF and Tennessee...but he stuck hard with his early commitment to the Knights.

NOTE: I still remember asking a question to Coach O'Leary prior to the 2015 finale game at Rice...who at the time had the WORST and one of the oldest artificial turfs in CUSA...and it was that old, cheap artificial turf that caught Walker's cleat, which caused his devastating ACL injury in UCF's East Division and HOME CUSA Championship Game clinching game...and somewhat ironically, it was Brandon Marshall, who status soared with Walker out, that lead to his huge final 2 games (and All-Star game too), which seemed to begin to launch his career.

Walker came back in 2006, and it seemed he had lost a tenth or two of his speed...but he still made it to the "show" but unfortunately for him, the Jags, who had a solid 2007 season...that was their last winning season since then...
Based on memory alone, Walker caught 90 + passes in 2006. Between that production and his 4.35 forty, it put him into the third round. No way he has that many receptions for Tennessee.

Reactions: UCFProf

Wasn't that Brandon Marshall that switched to DB/S? I think Walker always played WR, but that initial year was a challenge getting bodies on the field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT