ADVERTISEMENT

Mining the Transfer Market Gems: Dawkins and Gonzaga strategy

UCFProf

Golden Knight
Nov 13, 2011
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...s-gonzaga-finally-advances-to-ncaa-final-four
Dawkins loaded up his bench with ineligible players his first year. Donnie tried that a lot, too. It's the flip side of Kentucky's "one-and-done" business model. A second shot at the NBA rather when a hot-shot freshmen faces being replaced by the new recruit. Sitting out a season is not the penalty it is in college football's "wait your turn" philosophy (except for quarterbacks these days). Coach lets you know earlier whether he's as high on you as he was when he recruited you.

What makes it sooooo easy to grab a top player from a midsize and/or a good player that doesn't see much PT at a major program is unlike in Football, where most use their redshirt year to sit out as true Freshmen, 98% of all true Freshmen in Hoops play, meaning they will always have their redshirt year to use if they transfer out before graduating.

However, those that get injured in hoops that end up missing a year (i.e. Matt Williams, BJ Taylor, etc...), are all eligible to transfer for their 5th year as long as they earn a degree...as they still have their last year of eligibility to use anywhere they want.

Dawkins still has that last scholarship to use since Aubrey will be a walk-on next year and I wouldn't be surprised if he uses it on another transfer who has 2-3 years of eligibility left, especially since UCF's depth for next year will be strong (i.e. 12 other scholarship players plus Aubrey).

Reactions: UCFhonors
What makes it sooooo easy to grab a top player from a midsize and/or a good player that doesn't see much PT at a major program is unlike in Football, where most use their redshirt year to sit out as true Freshmen, 98% of all true Freshmen in Hoops play, meaning they will always have their redshirt year to use if they transfer out before graduating.

However, those that get injured in hoops that end up missing a year (i.e. Matt Williams, BJ Taylor, etc...), are all eligible to transfer for their 5th year as long as they earn a degree...as they still have their last year of eligibility to use anywhere they want.

Dawkins still has that last scholarship to use since Aubrey will be a walk-on next year and I wouldn't be surprised if he uses it on another transfer who has 2-3 years of eligibility left, especially since UCF's depth for next year will be strong (i.e. 12 other scholarship players plus Aubrey).
A 5th year guy at the 2 like Nick would be really helpful upfront.

Reactions: UCFhonors

Great! For some reason I thought we were full... I had to recount a couple of times. 9 "returning" + 3 new signees = 1 left to a full class.

Hopefully the last recruit will be a slam dunk commit.

Reactions: firm_bizzle
Great! For some reason I thought we were full... I had to recount a couple of times. 9 "returning" + 3 new signees = 1 left to a full class.

Hopefully the last recruit will be a slam dunk commit.
Had to read that a couple times to figure the meaning. I'm thought we had plenty of slam dunkers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT