ADVERTISEMENT

***Mohajir introduced Wednesday, plans to move FAST***

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com
After arriving in Orlando late Tuesday afternoon via private jet, new UCF AD Terry Mohajir is apparently going to work right away setting the stage for the head coach hire process.

Wednesday though is the big introduction day. At 9 a.m. he will meet with UCF's head coaches followed by other meet and greets with various staff and university groups. The press conference is scheduled for 12:15 p.m. Prior to the basketball game, Mohajir is scheduled to mingle with Shareholder Society members. I believe he will also make a cameo at the MBB game vs. Wichita State.

Amid all these early responsibilities, Mohajir is gearing up for the football coach search. I heard he hopes to conduct at least three interviews by the end of the week. I believe the plan is to utilize Zoom (or other virtual means) for the interviews, so no planes to hop on or flight tracking sites to monitor.

Who he will target is the big question.

Ole Miss offensive coordinator Jeff Lebby is without a doubt part of the mix. There's a million sources confirming this - that's not a surprise to anyone. Mohajir was interested in Lebby for his Arkansas State vacancy, but he couldn't afford him. Lebby makes a lot of sense. He's probably the hottest offensive coordinator name out there and we know Mohajir priorities offense - it was even in the press release. He just came from UCF so he is familiar with the personnel and will be ready to hit the ground running. He has a staff ready to go. He can work with the existing defensive staff, which could be a plus. He's a great recruiter with familiarity inside the state.

Former Auburn coach Gus Malzahn is the other name I keep hearing. Although Mohajir didn't hire him at Arkansas State, he was there for his first and only season in Jonesboro. He'd be viewed slightly differently than the hot OC type - He's 55 and has $50M (or so) in the bank thanks to that massive Auburn salary and buyout, so he's plenty comfortable and wouldn't necessarily be looking for the next job. But how motivated would he be though? I think that's a big question.

To be honest, I think the pool for this job is kind of small. That's assuming Mohajir is going with an offensive-minded coach.

Looking at other OCs... Who would be a better fit than Lebby?

One could make the argument for Clemson OC Tony Elliott, but he's likely out of reach with his new deal (will make $2M per year). Also seems very picky about jobs.

Miami OC Rhett Lashlee is one to be considered. He was reportedly on Mohajir's ASU shortlist as was North Carolina OC Phil Longo.

Former Florida OC Brian Johnson who recently left to be the Philadelphia Eagles QB coach? Making that NFL jump is a big move. UCF is a better job than NFL position coach, but what's his ultimate goal?

Lebby still trumps all though, at least in my opinion.

As for sitting head coaches, Louisiana-Lafayette coach Billy Napier might be the hottest industry name at the G5 level but he shied away from the South Carolina and Auburn openings. He has a hefty buyout too.

Coastal Carolina coach Jamey Chadwell? The Chants are in the middle of spring practice. I also wonder if his offense (spread option) is too much of a radical departure from UCF's current personnel (namely, QB). You don't want a rebuild. Hot name, yes. But limited track record. Just one good season basically in a strange COVID year. Coastal went 3-9 in 2018 and 5-7 in 2019. Granted, they were elevating from FCS and it was a steady improvement. Got into some NCAA trouble at his prior stop at Charleston Southern.

Buffalo coach Lance Leipold? He's a Midwest guy who has never coached outside of the region (if we're lumping Buffalo into the Midwest because they're in the MAC). Decent results, but is he a fit at a place like UCF?

Kent State coach Sean Lewis? He's part of the Dino Babers tree that has improved Kent State in each of his three seasons - From 2-10 in 2018, 7-6 in 2019 and 3-1 in 2020. Yes, they led the nation in total offense in 2020 but it was four games against MAC competition. He has charisma and connects well with players and coaches. Offense likes to go fast (sound familiar?) and his scheme would fit right in with how UCF's offense has been operating.

Former head coaches besides Gus?

Former Texas and Houston coach Tom Herman comes to mind. A lot of question marks though.

How about this one? Former Mississippi State head coach Joe Moorhead, now the OC at Oregon? MSU was just a really bad fit for him, culture wise. SEC West is brutal as well. Had tons of offensive cred coming into the job with a stint as Penn State OC and Fordham HC. By all accounts, he's just a fantastic person too.

Defensive names? Oklahoma DC Alex Grinch and Notre Dame (former Cincinnati) DC Marcus Freeman would probably be at the top of the list, but as stated above, I don't think Mohajir would go that route.

If I'm making a list of these categories:

Best OC candidate: Lebby
Best former HC candidates: Gus and Moorhead
Best realistic sitting HC candidate: Sean Lewis

Most of what I posted is speculation, but just to recap what I've heard:

Lebby and Gus are definitely in play. Interviews will happen by the end of the week, will be conducted on Zoom. Mohajir wants to talk to at least three people.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News