ADVERTISEMENT

National Media

Do you think UCF players actually come on here? I’m truly asking cause I wouldn’t think they would.
I think that there is strong evidence of family members of current players, former players and possibly either DW or people that work closely with him

As far as current players, without any proof, I would guess it’s pretty rare

Reactions: JAFFX2
Rat poison. Some athletes have come on here but it being all over the media is the problem. Got to trust them to push out all the noise.
The great thing with Josh Heupel is that whether is good or bad media coverage he doesn’t care it’s all outside noise to him and I believe he speaks to the players about not ostensibly to that on a weekly basis

They're definitely reading. Or their family and friends are. They reference thoughts from here and twitter frequently. Bianchi has certainly lurked here and turned threads into columns.

It's a lot more influential here than I would like...

Reactions: JAFFX2
I think that there is strong evidence of family members of current players, former players and possibly either DW or people that work closely with him

As far as current players, without any proof, I would guess it’s pretty rare

Agree...... as Knight Strength said being all over the media is the real problem, hopefully TVs not allowed in the players lounge!

Not as much negative blow back from the national media as expected. Mostly press about Boise now controlling their own destiny. This SB Nation article paints Boise as the good G5 that's humble, and UCF as the bad G5 that's boastful. UCF should embrace the bad boy narrative with a pedal to the metal mentality all game long. No mercy. Run it up. Embrace the hate.

https://www.downthedrive.com/2019/9/22/20877868/how-ucf-losing-impacts-cincinnati

Not as much negative blow back from the national media as expected. Mostly press about Boise now controlling their own destiny. This SB Nation article paints Boise as the good G5 that's humble, and UCF as the bad G5 that's boastful. UCF should embrace the bad boy narrative with a pedal to the metal mentality all game long. No mercy. Run it up. Embrace the hate.

https://www.downthedrive.com/2019/9/22/20877868/how-ucf-losing-impacts-cincinnati
Always embrace the hate

Reactions: PowerEye101
Always embrace the hate

Special alternate jersey game?
rod-smart-xfl-he-hate-me.jpg

Our win streak ranks 5th in the modern era of football (1990 - When everybody starting joining conferences, scholarship reductions occurred a few years later so parity began to occur as the "big" programs couldn't just stash players (and nobody transferred back then)), for winning streaks greater than 25 games (Miami twice, Bama, Nebraska, and FSU are the others).

Anything before that is just purely sketchy....especially when you think of how lopsided the good teams were from everybody else. I went back and looked at some of these streaks and they are mostly garbage. Now, travel was an issue back then so I get why some of the games are played. I'm not saying these were bad teams but they beat up on a lot of bad teams....sometimes entire seasons of playing against poor competition. Take the 1954 Oklahoma Sooners (I just randomly chose a season.....part of the longest win streak in college football history (47 games from 1953 to 1957)). They went 10-0. Here's who they beat:
1. Won @ #12 California 27-13 (but wait, Cal finished the season 5-5 so they were average at best)
2. Beat #20 TCU 21-16 (but wait, TCU finished 4-6 so they were average at best)
3. Beat #15 Texas 14-7 (but wait, Texas finished 4-5-1 so they were average at best)
4. Won @ Kansas 65-0 (Kansas's record was 0-10....horrible)
5. Beat Kansas State 21-0 (KState's record was 7-3, so bravo, they played a team with a winning record; K-State's opponents records excluding Oklahoma was 31-57-2 (and even with Oklahoma it is well below .500)
6. Won @ Colorado 13-6 (Colorado's record as 7-2-1, so bravo, they played a second team with a winning record; Colorado's opponents records excluding Oklahoma was 36-53-1 (and even with Oklahoma it is below .500)
7. Won @ Iowa State 40-0 (Iowa State was 3-6)
8. Beat Missouri 34-13 (Missouri was 4-5-1)
9. Beat Nebraska 55-7 (Nebraska was 6-5, so bravo, they played a third team with a winning record; Nebraska's opponents records excluding Oklahoma was 41-45-3, so this is a legit opponent since they played somebody who has played somebody).
10. Won @ Oklahoma State 14-0 (OK State went 5-4-1, so bravo, the 4th team they played with a winning record; OK State's opponents records excluding Oklahoma was ??? (Wikipedia doesn't have them hyperlinked) but they lost to Wichita State and Hardin-Simmons during the season so I'm thinking they were not very good)

So it looks like a "great" team beat one good (not great) team, and then a whole lot of average or garbage. They played nobody that was ranked in the final AP poll at the end of the season. People bash us because of our schedule and then point out that their team's history has a streak like this, which is strange since it is exactly what they try to trash us about, and downplay our success.

***As you can see, the polls had the same bias then as now. With Cal, TCU and Texas on the jersey to start the season, they were ranked but then in reality they were not good at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT