ADVERTISEMENT

Need Paddle Board Advice

ProAttitude

Diamond Knight
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
“This Place”, UCF Sports
I want to purchase paddle board and don't know where to shop. Garage sales, Craigslist, mail order, or a local manufacturer? Looking to use it in fresh and salt water. Must support one obese middle aged white guy that wants to exercise. How much should I expect to pay?

Definitely craigslist or garage sales. Those things are probably like treadmills and kayaks. You should be able to pick up a decent used one for a couple hundred I would think.

My friend just bought one. He said the stuff at the sporting good stores, not surprisingly, will only last a year or two.

He went to Orlando paddle boards and got and education on the right board for his size and use. He then watched Craigslist and other sites for a few months before he found a good deal on a used one.

I don't know what he paid though.

You get what you pay for. If you plan to actually get out there and do it, spend the money and go to a paddleboard shop. Also get educated on the right size/style board for what you want to do.

I love the Riviera brand and now own 5 boards of theirs.

The 8'6" El Tigre is my brand new surfing board. Thing shreds.

The 9'2" Carbon Turbo Nugg is my other surging board. I'm in love with the El Tigre, but will keep this board for smaller days. Also will be a great board for my 3 year old son next summer.

The 10'6" Riviera Select is my hybrid board, I have done over 8 miles of river paddle on it, and can also catch waves. This is the board I bring out most days.

The 11'6" Riviera is my coastal cruiser. I've caught a few waves, but mostly just flat paddle this big girl.

Then my tank is my 14' Riviera Voyager. This is my fishing board, also can handle my wife, me and 2 young kids on it. I've also used for a 3 night paddle/camping trip and was able to handle all my gear.

Reactions: ProAttitude
So I just found two on Craigslist from a guy for $650 with an electric pump. Both were around $950 a piece new and the pump was $150 alone. Very excited. Got weekend plans with the gf now.

Go to a surf shop or a board/kayak shop; if you don't buy a board there they can usually tell you what you need. Some even take you in a lake to try out boards.
If you don't want to buy it there, they will at least tell you what to buy. This is not the sort of thing you cn just go buy and get best performance/stability.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT