ADVERTISEMENT

New Hydro-Power: For / Against

New Hydro-Power... Are you For or Against?

• Total voters
The anti-dam groups would disagree, but seems like a multi beneficial solution would be to hydro-power dam more rivers...

-Collects more reserves fresh water
-Renewable energy source
-Increased tax revenue with lake-front property, applied to further conservation efforts
-Additional food source (stocked "free range" fish)

Other than exchanging the natural river scape for the size of the reservoir, what other downsides are there?

Clean Energy, more lakes and fish, If done on Federal land makes use of a wasted piece of property.
Just have to be sure it isn't adversely affecting the environment where you build it.

Reactions: UCFloridaTech
Just have to be sure it isn't adversely affecting the environment where you build it.
Well it's a given a number of plants/trees would be flooded, and corresponding wildlife displaced from those intermediate areas where a new reservoir would be formed, but it's more like an exchange of wildlife, replaced with freshwater species... To me, a net positive - however the ants, roaches, and geckos likely disagree.

Well it's a given a number of plants/trees would be flooded, and corresponding wildlife displaced from those intermediate areas where a new reservoir would be formed, but it's more like an exchange of wildlife, replaced with freshwater species... To me, a net positive - however the ants, roaches, and geckos likely disagree.
I don't disagree, just saying make sure to do the needed work first on environmental impacts, and safety concerns.

Fluid Dynamics 101 ... Hydro (and Wave) have a reduced impact to the environment versus Wind.

I've never understood how The Sierra Club et al. could be so pro-Wind while so anti-Hydro as 'destroying the environment.'

This is why we cannot have nice things ... or intelligent debate for that matter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT