***New Mexico OL transfer Cade Briggs enjoys UCF visit***

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com
zh6qcrgicegkqgdnjamv

A weekend visit to UCF is giving New Mexico offensive line transfer Cade Briggs a lot to think about.

The California native and 2019 graduate of Las Vegas' Bishop Gorman High School has been a starter for all three of his seasons at UNM, including the last two as the Lobos' No. 1 left tackle. He entered the NCAA Transfer Portal last week and immediately starting drawing national interest.

"It's definitely been a lot crazier than I would have thought," Briggs said. "Putting your name in the portal can be a scary thing. You're hoping somebody reaches out eventually. That first day I had five or six offers. It made me take a deep breath and settle myself that I do have options. It's been crazy."

UCF was one of the first schools to reach out.

"I grew up with Trevion Shadrick-Harris, who plays safety at UCF," Briggs said. "We grew up in California together. So when (UCF offensive line) Coach (Herb) Hand contacted me and wanted to get me out there on a visit, I jumped on it.

"I knew it would be a good trip. Obviously Orlando is a nice area. I grew up on the west coast and my parents are actually looking to move to the Southeast so I'm looking at a few schools in that area. The weather was crazy. When we left Albuquerque it was 30 degrees and we're all bundled up. When we landed it was 80 degrees and sunny outside. The campus was super nice and so were the facilities. Honestly, there was so much I liked."

UCF is looking for some experienced offensive linemen that would be ready to contribute next season and Briggs fits the bill. He has two seasons of eligibility remaining and a redshirt year should he need it.

"Coach Hand and I sat down and watched film," Briggs said. "I'm an inside guy build wise. At New Mexico they had me at left tackle because we were short on tackles. I'm excited to get back inside and play with more power. He talked about getting me center reps too, but I'd be competing for the left guard spot because their left guard will probably declare for the draft."

The left guard he's speaking of - Cole Schneider - just wrapped up his fourth season at UCF as a full-time starter. Schneider was also UCF's emergency center when Matt Lee was sidelined.

"I've never taken center snaps in a game before," Briggs said. "I've always been a guard or tackle. But I definitely know how to snap. I'm ready for a team to put me there so I can get comfortable with it."

As a true freshman at New Mexico in 2019, Briggs played in nine games and started five, mostly at right guard. He made the move to left tackle in 2020 and has been the starter ever since.

"My sophomore year (2020), they threw me out there (at left tackle) like a week before the first game," Briggs said. "My first few games were a little bumpy. I'd never played the left side either. I was swapping everything in my head. It took me four or five games to get used to it. This whole offseason I was like, if I'm going to be 6-3 and playing left tackle, I'm going to be the most athletic and have the best feet and just try to make the most of it."

Briggs earned a solid 74.4 season grade from PFF, which put him in the top five for Mountain West Conference tackles.

Trevion Shadrick-Harris was also his player host for the weekend.

"Like I said, I grew up with him in California, so it was real comfortable being with him," Briggs said. "He told me the truth about everything UCF has to offer. He showed me around downtown too. Good atmosphere. It's nice to be somewhere where there's things to do. I'm there to play football, but I want to enjoy my last years of college too. It was a good time."

He enjoyed meeting head coach Gus Malzahn.

"He's a great guy," Briggs said. "We had breakfast at his house with his family and wife. He's obviously experienced, coming from Auburn. It was almost surreal talking to somebody that's coached Cam Newton and has beaten Alabama multiple times and won a championship. Just talking to coaches of that caliber, Coach Hand too. He knows his stuff. So when UCF asked me to visit I definitely jumped on it. I know they can develop me and make me the best player I can be."

Asked to name one thing that stood out, Briggs said it was definitely the coaches.

"They're so experienced," he said. "I want a coach to be straight up with me. I'm not in high school, I'm not 17 anymore. I'm a grown man. I want coaches to be hard on me and tell the truth. Coach Hand will get on me for every little thing and I want that. I like the truth and honesty. They're also family people. Big family guys. I felt real comfortable the whole weekend."

He also liked UCF's academics. He needs to finish two more semesters to complete his undergraduate degree.

"My mom is from Iran, so I've always been interested in that side of the world," he said. "I've been studying international studies (at UNM) with an Arabic minor. UCF has global studies, which is great that I could continue down that path. That fascinates me. UCF having the major is definitely a plus."

Briggs is also learning more about the UCF fanbase.

"That UCF post I put on Twitter a few hours ago, I didn't expect that to blow up the way it did," he said. "I got off the plane, obviously no service in the air. I have 400-something notifications on Twitter and my phone is freezing up. It's been crazy."

Briggs has not yet decided on a decision timeline, though additional visits are possible.

"There's no specific date," Briggs said. "I want to enroll in January, so I know I don't have a lot of time. I am looking to schedule a visit with Maryland and Illinois. We've been talking. Cal was calling me today trying to see when I can get out there. I'm from the Bay area. They want to get me back home and check it out. It's definitely been a busy day."

As for contact and visits, transfers fall under the same guidelines as high school and junior college recruits. This week through the coming weekend will be the final days in December to take a visit.

He said UCF didn't try to pressure him into making a quick decision.

"Just whenever I feel comfortable," Briggs said. "Whenever the time is right. They're welcoming and want me to come here. They're understanding of the whole process... I definitely felt very comfortable there with the coaches and the situation, also school wise and location. They're definitely my No. 1 right now."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News