ADVERTISEMENT

New School of Coaching

1 of these Knights

Four-Star Recruit
Sep 21, 2001
So is the Clemson model of coaching the new thing? Swinny has modeled his coaching structure to put more importance on assistant coaches and less on the head coach. He was an unknown outside of Clemson when he took over from Tommy Bowden, but made it clear that he wanted less money for him and more money for the coordinators. He hired young coordinators, and great recruiters and paid them well. He is more of a CEO and less of a hands on coach. Do you think that Frost might be bringing the same mentality here?

So is the Clemson model of coaching the new thing? Swinny has modeled his coaching structure to put more importance on assistant coaches and less on the head coach. He was an unknown outside of Clemson when he took over from Tommy Bowden, but made it clear that he wanted less money for him and more money for the coordinators. He hired young coordinators, and great recruiters and paid them well. He is more of a CEO and less of a hands on coach. Do you think that Frost might be bringing the same mentality here?
I think it's similar, but he thinks of himself more as the OC that is also in charge of the team.

That's the way most operations should run if you want to be successful. Pay good people well and let them do what they do.

That was actually GOL's strategy but it didn't work on offense or defense the last 2 years (non-blake years) :)
Our defense was ranked #5 in 2014 and we finished 9-4 and a share of a conference title. I wouldn't call that failure. In retrospect, failure was with Hitt and others not seeing the fallout from having a coach who probably felt he reached the top of the mountain and after 30-40 years of coaching, when he saw the end coming he probably didn't give the job 110%, and because of the situation and our staff totally getting poached, there wasn't a lot of viable candidates that were going to join a staff knowing they could get sh_t-canned after as short a time as a year.

We just all have to let Frost do whatever he feels he needs to do and we can start to judge him some by the end of next season.

Our defense was ranked #5 in 2014 and we finished 9-4 and a share of a conference title. I wouldn't call that failure. In retrospect, failure was with Hitt and others not seeing the fallout from having a coach who probably felt he reached the top of the mountain and after 30-40 years of coaching, when he saw the end coming he probably didn't give the job 110%, and because of the situation and our staff totally getting poached, there wasn't a lot of viable candidates that were going to join a staff knowing they could get sh_t-canned after as short a time as a year.

We just all have to let Frost do whatever he feels he needs to do and we can start to judge him some by the end of next season.
SF gets 2 years before any judgement. GOL and Key left everything in shambles.

SF gets 2 years before any judgement. GOL and Key left everything in shambles.

Yes.., he has to have 2-3 years. The first year of a new system can be bad. Especally when you have players who you didn't recruit for it. We have to win our first game to end this slide and it would be nice to win 5-6 games. However, if he wins 3-4. I wouldn't complain that heavily.

Can we realistically think that we can beat Maryland, Michigan, USF and Houston? No. That's 4 loses. We beat South Carolina State and go 4-3 or 3-4 with the other 7 games and we are 5-7 or 4-8.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
Yes.., he has to have 2-3 years. The first year of a new system can be bad. Especally when you have players who you didn't recruit for it. We have to win our first game to end this slide and it would be nice to win 5-6 games. However, if he wins 3-4. I wouldn't complain that heavily.

Can we realistically think that we can beat Maryland, Michigan, USF and Houston? No. That's 4 loses. We beat South Carolina State and go 4-3 or 3-4 with the other 7 games and we are 5-7 or 4-8.

I agree. I was hoping to see a jump in performance on defense merely from experience and getting some guys back from injury but switching the scheme (possible 3-4) also has me thinking we'll see growing pains on that side of the ball too..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT