ADVERTISEMENT

New Unis on their way?

It's not about the uniforms, it's about the culture of the program. Frost wants to sell our program as innovative and playing fast. The entire program needs to mimic this philosophy and yes, that includes uniforms.

Being innovative on offense, in marketing, and stadium expansion is everything we as fans have been asking for. After all, our fanbase is largely comprised of the creative class and so while uniforms maybe a symptom, the cure for the disease is lots of Frost.

Wonder what Coach Frost thinks of our "pregame"! Hope change happens with that aspect of UCF football too.

In a perfect world, we'd change our colors and logo.

In a perfect world, we'd never have changed from being the citronauts. But short of going back to that, changing our colors and logo is dumb.

Are you one of those people who thinks that our name is holding us back?

Actually yes....really hard for branding regional/directional/location schools. Be honest what is your thoughts of hearing Middle Tennessee State, Western Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Central Michigan, Western Kentucky, Nothern Iowa, etc....

Only 1 has any ring...southern California which is already an appealing locational name.

Wonder why we flip out being called central Florida?

Reactions: firm_bizzle
Actually yes....really hard for branding regional/directional/location schools. Be honest what is your thoughts of hearing Middle Tennessee State, Western Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Central Michigan, Western Kentucky, Nothern Iowa, etc....

Only 1 has any ring...southern California which is already an appealing locational name.

Wonder why we flip out being called central Florida?

The problem is, when taking about 'directional' schools, the sampling inherently skews towards programs which are not historically relevant, have small student bodies, and/or are not the states flagship university. And instead of controlling for those variables, you're attributing the outcomes seen by those schools to their names when in reality, it's the other tangible and quantifiable factors which cause this divide you're noticing. Simply put, the name is an indicator of other factors which materially affect a universities historical position, and not at all the actual reason.

If UCF made financial, geographical, and competitive sense, it wouldn't matter what our name was. At all.

If we are changing uniforms then we should look at a whole new color scheme. Our urine gold, black and white does nothing for me. I make it into the book store at least once a year hoping for something new and exciting. And I almost always leave disappointed. Now is the time to make a change.

If we are changing uniforms then we should look at a whole new color scheme. Our urine gold, black and white does nothing for me. I make it into the book store at least once a year hoping for something new and exciting. And I almost always leave disappointed. Now is the time to make a change.

PLEASE make this happen.

In a perfect world, we'd never have changed from being the citronauts. But short of going back to that, changing our colors and logo is dumb.

For some reason, this university has an issue with representative color. The other day I saw a Citronaut shirt. It was a grey shirt with a black logo...that's it.

Personally, I think we need to stay away from the gold jerseys because it just doesn't photograph well. It either comes out looking like urine as you say or mustard (see the Jags color rush jersey).

Just do a white and a black jersey w/ the shiny gold material Baylor and the Bucks use and call it a day. If they want to do an alternate look, give us those matte black "carbon" helmets w/ gold chrome accents.

Heck, if they want to get real creative, extend the Citronaut theme to football for one game a year.

The problem is, when taking about 'directional' schools, the sampling inherently skews towards programs which are not historically relevant, have small student bodies, and/or are not the states flagship university. And instead of controlling for those variables, you're attributing the outcomes seen by those schools to their names when in reality, it's the other tangible and quantifiable factors which cause this divide you're noticing. Simply put, the name is an indicator of other factors which materially affect a universities historical position, and not at all the actual reason.

If UCF made financial, geographical, and competitive sense, it wouldn't matter what our name was. At all.

The name lumps all of these schools together in the eyes of the public. Central Michigan, Western Kentucky, a Northern Illinois, East Carolina, Central Florida, etc. They all sound the same even though some have clearly made significant investments to their programs and/or have played in big bowls games. We joke about it but UCF could use a rebranding as its original name FTU Citronauts. (Not taken, FIT is in Melbourne) That name doe not have the directional "taint" and the mascot would be something completely unique to the school, unlike Knights. The major schools in the state have unique names associated with the region.

It would be awesome to bring the Citronaut as a secondary mascot. Eventually move him up to #1 status and just use the Knight for academics.

The Citronaut although takes getting used to on the football field would be very unique.

The name lumps all of these schools together in the eyes of the public. Central Michigan, Western Kentucky, a Northern Illinois, East Carolina, Central Florida, etc. They all sound the same even though some have clearly made significant investments to their programs and/or have played in big bowls games. We joke about it but UCF could use a rebranding as its original name FTU Citronauts. (Not taken, FIT is in Melbourne) That name doe not have the directional "taint" and the mascot would be something completely unique to the school, unlike Knights. The major schools in the state have unique names associated with the region.

You can tell we are trying to distance ourselves from the name by trying to force everyone into using "ucf" which is an uphill battle. Why not just bite the bullet now? University of Louisiana at Lafayette is trying to brand themselves as Louisiana.

You can tell we are trying to distance ourselves from the name by trying to force everyone into using "ucf" which is an uphill battle. Why not just bite the bullet now? University of Louisiana at Lafayette is trying to brand themselves as Louisiana.
Getting people to do things that they aren't use to doing is always hard. University of Louisiana at Lafayette kind of got undercut when University of Louisiana at Monroe did the same thing. I know one of them is the Rajin Cajuns only because the mascot is region specific.

It's weird you quoted my response yet completely ignored the entirety of what was written within it.

You know what changes peoples perceptions? Winning games. You know what doesn't? Changing names or pushing a forced and desperate rebrand. Look at your example, do you think any differently about UL-La? Of course not, and if we were to do that now it'd look just as pathetic.

It's weird you quoted my response yet completely ignored the entirety of what was written within it.

It be like that sometimes.:sunglasses: Regardless, names do matter

Last edited:
You know what changes peoples perceptions? Winning games. You know what doesn't? Changing names or pushing a forced and desperate rebrand. Look at your example, do you think any differently about UL-La? Of course not, and if we were to do that now it'd look just as pathetic.

UL-La was undercut by UL-M. Does the lay public think any differently about NIU or UCF? They've both been to BCS games.

Everything is how you market and brand. It is just easier to brand names not associated with regions/location/directional. You can't ignore that only 1 p5 team has that distinction and that one has the sexy southern California name in regular conversation. I think if we went to an Orlando name it could pull more people not associated to ucf but love the city.

And there are already Knights in D-1. We went way too generic back in the day. Bring back Citronaut!!!!

Everything is how you market and brand. It is just easier to brand names not associated with regions/location/directional. You can't ignore that only 1 p5 team has that distinction and that one has the sexy southern California name in regular conversation. I think if we went to an Orlando name it could pull more people not associated to ucf but love the city.

And there are already Knights in D-1. We went way too generic back in the day. Bring back Citronaut!!!!

I think University of Orlando gives us a ceiling too. Florida Technological University Citronauts is the way to go.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
Can we please get off the name change crap? Does Illinois Tech or University of Cleveland sound like powerhouses to you? It's about establishing a name and UCF has done that. Do you think Texas Christian floated the idea of a name change? Now, back to our regularly scheduled thread mocking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT