ADVERTISEMENT

Next Yrs D-line?

UKnight

Four-Star Recruit
Apr 1, 2004
I’m a little concerned about our interior D-line for next year. We are losing depth and if Hill tries his luck in the draft that could be a huge issue for us. We’ve got commits from 4 ends for 2019 but no big nasties in the middle? Where’s the focus on that in recruiting.

And we’ve had major issues this year stopping the run!

I’m a little concerned about our interior D-line for next year. We are losing depth and if Hill tries his luck in the draft that could be a huge issue for us. We’ve got commits from 4 ends for 2019 but no big nasties in the middle? Where’s the focus on that in recruiting.

And we’ve had major issues this year stopping the run!
This may be an actual improvement. The entire line needs to be retooled. This D- line can’t even tackle, let alone get sacks.

This may be an actual improvement. The entire line needs to be retooled. This D- line can’t even tackle, let alone get sacks.

Nope, no improvement......according to the coaches the freshman are not coming along as fast as they would like....

Next year, the Linebackers and secondary should be good, but the defensive line....

Ugh!!!

Good news is the offense should be better

Hill is not going anywhere. Right now he's not even as good as Torell Troup and he stayed 4 years.

And Rivals might have him listed as a DE but Keenan Hester is a 3 technique DT in a 4-3. Maybe even Raymond Cutts. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the listed size for these recruits either because when they show up it could be a whole different story. Last year when Stacy Kirby committed to the Bulls over our new coaching staff, he was listed as an undersized 6-3 205 DE. On USF's first depth chart I saw him listed as a 255 lb DT.

Anyway our DT options are looking like:
Trysten Hill
Mason Cholewa
Issac Walker
Tyrese Black
and I would not be surprised to see a Davonchae Bryant with more weight at tackle as well. Now that we have a max of 4 games left we need to start playing Walker and Black (Bryant already played in 1 game so he only has has 3 left).

big time unknowns after Hill with only Cholewa even having playing time. First time we'll be in this position in a while.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
Chowela, Hill, the Z-boys, Hayes, Charlton, Black, Bryant, Woodson and rotate Cutts in there a little, we’ll be just fine.

How are some of the young guys doing, like some of the redshirting guys like Tyrese Black and Ike Walker?

"We do developmental stuff with those guys on Friday. Developmental scrimmage. The Scout Bowl. It's good to see them develop. I told those guys because of the nature of what we're going to lose after this season they've really got to develop in a microwave. It can't be a slow bake. It's not happening as fast as I want it to happen. Their bodies are changing. That's the biggest thing, getting their bodies to change and look like college football players. Still not close to what we need to be, but I've been encouraged. I'm not discouraged. I don't see them much, just one day a week. Scout team. They're trying to mimic a defense too. They're young and developing. We'll see. A long ways off for those guys."

Reactions: Knight Strength
How are some of the young guys doing, like some of the redshirting guys like Tyrese Black and Ike Walker?

"We do developmental stuff with those guys on Friday. Developmental scrimmage. The Scout Bowl. It's good to see them develop. I told those guys because of the nature of what we're going to lose after this season they've really got to develop in a microwave. It can't be a slow bake. It's not happening as fast as I want it to happen. Their bodies are changing. That's the biggest thing, getting their bodies to change and look like college football players. Still not close to what we need to be, but I've been encouraged. I'm not discouraged. I don't see them much, just one day a week. Scout team. They're trying to mimic a defense too. They're young and developing. We'll see. A long ways off for those guys."
Some guys work harder when they know they have to. This offseason they will make big strides knowing they will have to play or may not ever play if they can't get ready in time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT