ADVERTISEMENT

NIT

From the Buffs

http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2017/3/...ccept-bid-to-2017-nit-face-ucf-wednesday.aspx

Colorado makes its 10th NIT appearance and first since 2010-11, Tad Boyle's first season as head coach. The Buffaloes advanced to the national semifinals that season as a No. 1 seed, winning three games in Boulder before dropping a 62-61 decision to Alabama in the semifinals at Madison Square Garden in New York.

---

Colorado is 19-14 overall and finished in seventh place in the Pac-12 Conference at 8-10. The Buffaloes will be out to claim their 10th season of 20-plus wins and sixth time in the last seven seasons under Boyle.

Houston got in as a 2 seed and play Akron. They're in the other side of the brackets so won't be facing them in this tournament either.

From the Buffs
http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2017/3/12/mens-basketball-buffs-accept-bid-to-2017-nit-face-ucf-wednesday.aspx
Colorado makes its 10th NIT appearance and first since 2010-11, Tad Boyle's first season as head coach. The Buffaloes advanced to the national semifinals that season as a No. 1 seed, winning three games in Boulder before dropping a 62-61 decision to Alabama in the semifinals at Madison Square Garden in New York.
Colorado is 19-14 overall and finished in seventh place in the Pac-12 Conference at 8-10. The Buffaloes will be out to claim their 10th season of 20-plus wins and sixth time in the last seven seasons under Boyle.

Colorado went 8-10 in the PAC-12, ranked as the worst of the P5 conferences in basketball. They lost to a great Notre Dame as well as Colorado St. and #3 seed in NIT, BYU. Their best OOC win was edging Xavier. They lost their first 7 straight conference games, but finished very strong (8 of last 11). However, their only quality win in conference was high-ranked Oregon. They lost all their other games against the top 5 teams in the conference. White leads them in everything but they have 2 other double-digit scorers. Their guards are big (6-4 to 6-7), all shoot around 50%, but they start 4 guards along with a 6-9, 245 lb forward. Their bigs don't do their scoring. They average 8 points more than us per game. So they seem more like a Memphis, but with much better shooting.

Colorado has some good wins vs Xavier and Oregon at home. And some bad losses against Washington and Washington St away.

They have depth playing 11 players. 9 are above 5points per game. Mostly all guards with 2 forwards. But tall and lengthy. Their leading scorer is a PG standing at 6'5.

I hope they are nothing like SMU like their roster indicates.

I hope they are nothing like SMU like their roster indicates.
I don't think so. Only had two low scoring games, and several games both teams scored at least 80. The Pac 12 has a wild west style of play. I'm more worried about their shooting accuracy and depth. At least we don't have to play in the super-thin air of Boulder (5400 feet elevation).

Reactions: UCFhonors
Colorado went 8-10 in the PAC-12, ranked as the worst of the P5 conferences in basketball. They lost to a great Notre Dame as well as Colorado St. and #3 seed in NIT, BYU. Their best OOC win was edging Xavier. They lost their first 7 straight conference games, but finished very strong (8 of last 11). However, their only quality win in conference was high-ranked Oregon. They lost all their other games against the top 5 teams in the conference. White leads them in everything but they have 2 other double-digit scorers. Their guards are big (6-4 to 6-7), all shoot around 50%, but they start 4 guards along with a 6-9, 245 lb forward. Their bigs don't do their scoring. They average 8 points more than us per game. So they seem more like a Memphis, but with much better shooting.

Good stuff.

They have 99rpi vs ours 69. The PAC 12 is ranked 6th by realtimerpi. The AAC is 7th.

I'm sure it will be a good game. I like our chances.

Going to have to play man. They are zone killers from 3. Can't wait till down 12 with minutes to go like the SMU game.

Which ever team can hit the 3 will probably win. Need CU's top sharp shooter to have an off night.

Going to have to play man. They are zone killers from 3. Can't wait till down 12 with minutes to go like the SMU game.
Two guy's take most of their 3's and they aren't any more accurate than our 3 pt shooters (except AJ, of course). I think AJ, Matt, Chad, and Tank will thrive against their faster-paced, fast-breaking style and finally escaping the slow pace, opportunistic defense approach of Cincy/SMU/ECU teams in the AAC. On the other hand, we'll need to substitute more liberally if this gets to be an up and down the court game.

Yeah, playing the NIT here instead on NCAAs at least saves UCF fans losts of money to attend the game(s) here.

I like college basketball, but paying over $400 for 2 lower bowl tickets to a college first rounds is insane.
there have been a lot of half empty arenas for these first round tourney games the last few years, especially for the Day tips

I don't think Orlando will have that problem with the draw they got and it's an easy city to travel to(direct flights from everywhere) compared to a host city like Tulsa

there have been a lot of half empty arenas for these first round tourney games the last few years, especially for the Day tips

I don't think Orlando will have that problem with the draw they got and it's an easy city to travel to(direct flights from everywhere) compared to a host city like Tulsa
The problem is that most of those team bench side of the sidelines will again be empty because season ticket holder keep their same sees free. Other programs sell and charge for post-season games if at home. I guess they want bodies in seats more than they want revenue, at least this year.

The problem is that most of those team bench side of the sidelines will again be empty because season ticket holder keep their same sees free. Other programs sell and charge for post-season games if at home. I guess they want bodies in seats more than they want revenue, at least this year.
No one plays in the arena except the Magic. What do you mean they let season ticket holders keep seats?

Actually, clubseat members have first crack at their seats until noon tomorrow for $20 each. After that they open to the public.

Reactions: UCFProf
Boulder, CO, has the best bike route system in the nation. You really have to be fit to deal with the altitude and steep inclines, too! My closest friend did his doctorate there. UColorado long ago developed a rep for its drugs, activism, and partying.
CycleTrackNYC.jpg

Boulder, CO, has the best bike route system in the nation. You really have to be fit to deal with the altitude and steep inclines, too! My closest friend did his doctorate there. UColorado long ago developed a rep for its drugs, activism, and partying.
CycleTrackNYC.jpg
Boulder IS a nice city. I always stop there whenever I visit Estes Park.

Hope a lot of upsets. Illinois killed Valpo though.
If Boise St. comes back (they trail by 8) against Utah, and then beats Illinois AND
if UC Irvine beats Illinois St. tomorrow AND
if we win tomorrow and against Irvine,
then we could play 3 home games. Just saying.
Update: Lots of upset in NIT's first day. A 1, 2, three 3's, and a 4 seed all lost. (including Utah)

Last edited:
If Boise St. comes back (they trail by 8) against Utah, and then beats Illinois AND
if UC Irvine beats Illinois St. tomorrow AND
if we win tomorrow and against Irvine,
then we could play 3 home games. Just saying.
Update: Lots of upset in NIT's first day. A 1, 2, three 3's, and a 4 seed all lost. (including Utah)

6 of the 8 games were upsets, crazy.

1 Cal lost to 8 CSU Bakersfield
3 Utah lost to 6 Boise State
3 Alabama lost to 6 Richmond
3 Indiana lost to 6 Georgia Tech
2 Clemson lost to 7 Oakland
4 Monmouth lost to 5 Ole Miss

2 Illinois beat 7 Valparaiso
4 Colorado State beat 5 Charleston

Former Memphis Coach Josh Pastner makes in to the NIT with GT and wins the first round. Meanwhile Memphis didn't even make it to a tourney this year.

Assuming UCF wins tonight, we should all be cheering for 8 UC Irvine to beat 1 Illinois St. so we can host another home game. Go Knights!

Reactions: UCFProf
CycleTrackNYC.jpg

Spent some time in Boulder last summer. I felt this desire to grow my hair buy an old VW bus and wear tie dye. Oh yeah, and lie around and not do much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT