ADVERTISEMENT

Nm

Well lets get real, most of the History professor's there don't know history anyways..

The video is quite thought provoking and addresses the kind of complaints I hear over and over again here about how modern historians want to ‘ruin’ American history by focusing on ‘a bunch of negatives.’

I thought it would lead to some interesting discussions. But I will admit, it is rather threatening to have your comfortably White Nationalist view of history exposed so it’s probably best to just trash it sight unseen.

Watch this and THEN let’s have a discussion about American History:

Liberals: "You jerks are talking about Ellen but who cares? She's just a celebrity! She doesn't matter! Celebrities are meaningless!"

Also Liberals: "Here, allow me to use a celebrity's talking point for every single point I try to make politically"

Reactions: Crazyhole
Don't need to end History classes, simply teach the 1692 project. and let them learn history that never was.

Peter Pan history, return to never never land.

Oh my bad George Washington was actually a slave owner until he died.

"Well it was a product of the times he lived in."

The first state to abolish slavery did it in 1780. Years before he became president.

Its the 1619 project.
Yeah, everybody knows the Civil War was fought over States Rights.
The state's right to own people.

Reactions: firm_bizzle
The video is quite thought provoking and addresses the kind of complaints I hear over and over again here about how modern historians want to ‘ruin’ American history by focusing on ‘a bunch of negatives.’

I thought it would lead to some interesting discussions. But I will admit, it is rather threatening to have your comfortably White Nationalist view of history exposed so it’s probably best to just trash it sight unseen.

It really surprises me that people have this view. My high school history classes taught all kinds of black history stuff and bad things that white people did. Maybe we had different curriculum than others, but we learned about stuff like black wall street. Juneteenth wasn't in it that I can remember, but thats kind of just a Texas thing.

It really surprises me that people have this view. My high school history classes taught all kinds of black history stuff and bad things that white people did. Maybe we had different curriculum than others, but we learned about stuff like black wall street. Juneteenth wasn't in it that I can remember, but thats kind of just a Texas thing.
We learned a lot too but I know I didnt learn about juneteenth. That doesnt mean the majority of the population is educated on this.

I was at an old horse farm in Nashville taking a tour. It was really interesting but when we got the the slave quarters someone on the tour asked how the slaves were paid. The group was silent for 5 sec or so before the guide said that slaves in the american south were not paid. The woman didn't seem like a foreign traveller, she should have known at least the basics if our history.

We learned a lot too but I know I didnt learn about juneteenth. That doesnt mean the majority of the population is educated on this.

I was at an old horse farm in Nashville taking a tour. It was really interesting but when we got the the slave quarters someone on the tour asked how the slaves were paid. The group was silent for 5 sec or so before the guide said that slaves in the american south were not paid. The woman didn't seem like a foreign traveller, she should have known at least the basics if our history.

I would almost go so far as to say that our curriculum didn't teach us enough about the other aspects of the Civil War outside of slavery, and the emancipation proclamation in particular.

I would almost go so far as to say that our curriculum didn't teach us enough about the other aspects of the Civil War outside of slavery, and the emancipation proclamation in particular.
How about American race relations between the emancipation proclamation and the Civil Rights movement in the 1960s?

Reactions: firm_bizzle
How about American race relation between the emancipation proclamation and the Civil Rights movement in the 1960s?
That's pretty much the only thing that was taught between 1865 and WW1. Carpetbaggers and western expansion are the only other things that come to mind. There was a lot to cover after that but of course we were taught about integration, Wallace, and the civil rights movement.

We learned black history too, but I dont think it was anywhere near in depth as to what it should have been. There were a lot of significant black leaders or events that I never learned about in school. But also in saying that, even the idea of "black history" is kind of misplaced to begin with. Black history is American history, so if we taught history properly we shouldnt even need to almost separate it into its own category. And yes, different places have different curriculums. I grew up in KY, and we studied the "civil war", where as other Southern states studies "the war of nothern agression".

We learned black history too, but I dont think it was anywhere near in depth as to what it should have been. There were a lot of significant black leaders or events that I never learned about in school. But also in saying that, even the idea of "black history" is kind of misplaced to begin with. Black history is American history, so if we taught history properly we shouldnt even need to almost separate it into its own category. And yes, different places have different curriculums. I grew up in KY, and we studied the "civil war", where as other Southern states studies "the war of nothern agression".

I wouldn't categorize what we learned as "black history" so I hope it didn't come across that way.

I wouldn't categorize what we learned as "black history" so I hope it didn't come across that way.

I was mostly agreeing with you. We learned AMerican history with black people almost in the background of that history (if that makes sense). I do remember in 7 and 8th grade or so, that we would specifically study black history in February, but 1 month out of an entire year obviously isnt enough to really learn that history.

I was mostly agreeing with you. We learned AMerican history with black people almost in the background of that history (if that makes sense). I do remember in 7 and 8th grade or so, that we would specifically study black history in February, but 1 month out of an entire year obviously isnt enough to really learn that history.

We did the same thing when I was in elementary school, but there wasn't much history taught at all back in those grades. Mostly just on the dates of something significant like December 7th.

Let's be honest most teachers at elementary-high school won't have massive history knowledge. They basically just teach you dates without much story telling over the times.

I dont think anyone expects elementary school teachers to teach complex ideas to 2nd graders. But middle school and high school history classes could certainly be improved.

How about American race relations between the emancipation proclamation and the Civil Rights movement in the 1960s?
Black history: Crispus Attacks got shot, Lincoln freed the slaves and then MLK had a dream. In between, George Washington Carver invented peanut butter,

Black history: Crispus Attacks got shot, Lincoln freed the slaves and then MLK had a dream. In between, George Washington Carver invented peanut butter,
You left out colonel sanders. Most influential black man in history after Nero

We did the same thing when I was in elementary school, but there wasn't much history taught at all back in those grades. Mostly just on the dates of something significant like December 7th.

Agree, sadly. learned of Lincoln, Frederick Douglass, And about George Washington Carver, and MLK. and the MLK teaching was slim in the 70's, as it was too new. Had some teaching on the Under Ground Railway. I remember the Civil rights fights and painful gains made, And was part of the integration of the schools in the late 60's. First time blacks and whites were mixed was when I was in 6th grade.

The first semester was pretty strange, but within 2 or 3 years neither group thought very much about it. Really the coming together happened pretty quickly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT