ADVERTISEMENT

NO NIT, NO CBI..........wow, totally overlooked with a 19-13 record

I can't believe only one AAC team is in the NIT. The parity of the middle of the pack of Tulsa, Memphis, us, Temple, and SMU really hurt the conference. Even UConn beating teams they shouldn't have hurt the separation and the clear distinction of the good AAC teams.

I posted this on another thread, but next year here's two sites to reference - warrennolan.com because they record records versus quadrants and realtimerpi.com which we referenced alot this year.
That said, it can be argued that last year UCFs late season win over Cinci sealed a spot or at least consideration to the NIT as long they won what was projected.
This year we didnt have one. Boston College had two relatively late quality wins over Miami and Syracuse. It can be argued they got in based on a good late run.

"We have to pick the 'best' 68 + 32 teams for the NCAA + NIT tournaments, not necessarily the best record or most deserving, but the best we think can win. We believe UCF is not in the top 100 teams [despite their RPI], and we will stand by this even after the results." -- CFP Committee

Reactions: Mikesi
The guys fought valiantly alll year and many played over their heads, but in the end because of the injuries this was a year to build for next years potentially amazing season. Not really worth fighting for one of the last few spots in the NIT, because it simply wasn’t our year. This year’s team wasn’t great. Big loses to Cincinnati and Houston and no overly impressive wins. I don’t think anyone truly feels slighted or robbed.

Reactions: Knight Strength
"We have to pick the 'best' 68 + 32 teams for the NCAA + NIT tournaments, not necessarily the best record or most deserving, but the best we think can win. We believe UCF is not in the top 100 teams [despite their RPI], and we will stand by this even after the results." -- CFP Committee
They never claimed to pick the best 100 between those tournaments but every team has a shot. 14 teams had worse RPI than UCF but got auto bids to the NCAA tournament. I’m sure there were several from the NIT. Take those away and you are looking at about 80 more slots. UCF RPI is 85. Last year was mid 70s. That was the difference.

I actually think not getting to play in any of the other tournaments is going to be good motivation for these guys. It should infuriate them that they were so close to being a better than average team but couldn't get over the hump. Hopefully it gnaws at them every day until next season. Should help them do that extra rep, run that extra mile, spend that extra hour watching tape, do some additional drills, help out a their teammates, etc... Look what 0-12 and a new coach did for football. That team had losing shoved right down thier throat. They ate a loser sandwich for 12 games and then every day for the entire next off-season. They responded not by throwing in the towel but by sacking up and working harder than they ever thought they probably could, and two years later they were a National Championship caliber team. Let's just hope this motivates the basketball team in the same manner.

Reactions: thespiritof1976
I actually think not getting to play in any of the other tournaments is going to be good motivation for these guys. It should infuriate them that they were so close to being a better than average team but couldn't get over the hump. Hopefully it gnaws at them every day until next season. Should help them do that extra rep, run that extra mile, spend that extra hour watching tape, do some additional drills, help out a their teammates, etc... Look what 0-12 and a new coach did for football. That team had losing shoved right down thier throat. They ate a loser sandwich for 12 games and then every day for the entire next off-season. They responded not by throwing in the towel but by sacking up and working harder than they ever thought they probably could, and two years later they were a National Championship caliber team. Let's just hope this motivates the basketball team in the same manner.
We just don't have any low post offense this year. Turnovers this season were super high again. Dawkins has to fix this (along with free throw shooting).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT