ADVERTISEMENT

Official Basketball Coaching Carousel Thread

That’s an upgrade? It’s all about the Benjamin’s and Texas has them

They do make it sound that it’s going to be at least a little bit difficult to lure Dawkins from UCF

Think of it this way, VT is not traditionally a basketball school. They've had one good season going to sweet 16 and now other schools w/unlimited resources want their coach. No different than UCF's situation. $3.5M is definitely well above the norm for a basketball coach salary.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

Reactions: Ucfmikes
I could see Dawkins leaving. He is losing really good seniors that won't be replaced next year. If the SEC is calling with a fat check and all those bagmen, then...

Reactions: Ucfmikes
That doesn’t include signing bonus, company car, cell phone, bonuses, meals , insurance and any other expenses they cover. That’s over 2 when you add it all up.

That doesn’t include signing bonus, company car, cell phone, bonuses, meals , insurance and any other expenses they cover. That’s over 2 when you add it all up.
Under the current contract, that $1.5M doesn't kick in until 2022. Dawkins makes much less than $1.5M now and next year, and it isn't close.

Under the current contract, that $1.5M doesn't kick in until 2022. Dawkins makes much less than $1.5M now and next year, and it isn't close.
Do you know what his signing bonus was? How much do you think a bonus for making tourney was? How much for winning a tourney game? How much for winning 20 games? How much for each player that graduates? How much for players that could get drafted? These are all bonuses that add up to hundreds of thousands. Not $30 K. Base is between 1 and 1.5. Those bonuses bring him near 2. If he gets another extension or reworks it he will get another nice signing bonus. Just like players, coaches get money under table from donors as well. It’s not something the NCAA enforces so no one cares. He’s getting well over 1 when you add in ALL Compensation.

Do you know what his signing bonus was? How much do you think a bonus for making tourney was? How much for winning a tourney game? How much for winning 20 games? How much for each player that graduates? How much for players that could get drafted? These are all bonuses that add up to hundreds of thousands. Not $30 K. Base is between 1 and 1.5. Those bonuses bring him near 2. If he gets another extension or reworks it he will get another nice signing bonus. Just like players, coaches get money under table from donors as well. It’s not something the NCAA enforces so no one cares. He’s getting well over 1 when you add in ALL Compensation.
No.

In actual disclosed bonuses he earned $65k this year, $50k for first round win.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fansided.com/2019/03/27/ucf-ready-show-johnny-dawkins-money/amp/
Yes those are the bonuses they’ve disclosed. There are more. Many more. What was his signing bonus? If it was less than $200 K he needs a new agent. From the article.

For Dawkins, there’s surely some appeal to going to the SEC. But the gap between what UCF paid him and what Vanderbilt paid Drew, without accounting for any incentives he reached this year, doesn’t feel insurmountable. With a first-round tournament win Dawkins got to $65,000 in bonuses, but there may be some other undisclosed money.

Yes those are the bonuses they’ve disclosed. There are more. Many more. What was his signing bonus? If it was less than $200 K he needs a new agent. From the article.

For Dawkins, there’s surely some appeal to going to the SEC. But the gap between what UCF paid him and what Vanderbilt paid Drew, without accounting for any incentives he reached this year, doesn’t feel insurmountable. With a first-round tournament win Dawkins got to $65,000 in bonuses, but there may be some other undisclosed money.
Yes, but what about that SEC undisclosed money that Drew received or could have Dawkins could receive

Probably millions

Let’s face it. We can’t compete. Yet

If Dawkins 1.1-1.5 can be 2, then Vanderbilts 3-3.5 can be 4.5-5 million

Yes, but what about that SEC undisclosed money that Drew received or could have Dawkins could receive

Probably millions

Let’s face it. We can’t compete. Yet

If Dawkins 1.1-1.5 can be 2, then Vanderbilts 3-3.5 can be 4.5-5 million
I’m not saying we’d win a bidding war. My point was Dawkins makes more than numbers reported in paper.

The support is just not there for basketball. Vanderbilt averaged 8500+ this season in attendance for 9-21 season, winless in sec. That's their lowest attendance average in 50+ years.

The interest isn't there from students, alumni, and general fan. Unless you get massive turnout from student and alumni it will continue to stay low since Florida is not a basketball state. With football you can at least draw not football fans with the excitement of tailgating, basketball games you are going for only the game.

Reactions: ProAttitude
The support is just not there for basketball. Vanderbilt averaged 8500+ this season in attendance for 9-21 season, winless in sec. That's their lowest attendance average in 50+ years.

The interest isn't there from students, alumni, and general fan. Unless you get massive turnout from student and alumni it will continue to stay low since Florida is not a basketball state. With football you can at least draw not football fans with the excitement of tailgating, basketball games you are going for only the game.
You can’t drink at a bar before game?

You can’t drink at a bar before game?

I'm actually not much of a drinker. I'm more interested in the game as oppose to festivities before, however, that is not the case for many. You can see it in the amount of people that will tailgate and enter the stadium 15 minutes late, leave at half time, or never walk in at all.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Stop.

You try and make the point that there are undisclosed terms that no one knows about(and I agree there are) then in the same rant you insist they MUST be worth around $900K because that's what it would take to get him to the $2M number you cling to like honors clinging to his own nuts. If he is only getting $65K for winning some NCAA tournament games his other undisclosed bonuses aren't going to buy a 3 year old Kia.

Stop.

Reactions: hemightbejeremy
Stop.

You try and make the point that there are undisclosed terms that no one knows about(and I agree there are) then in the same rant you insist they MUST be worth around $900K because that's what it would take to get him to the $2M number you cling to like honors clinging to his own nuts. If he is only getting $65K for winning some NCAA tournament games his other undisclosed bonuses aren't going to buy a 3 year old Kia.

Stop.
Yeah and UCF Players aren’t getting Money handshakes. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Big fish eating the little one. Nevada loses their coach to Arkansas. Not really a desirable place to be...He better have gotten paid.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...vada-as-new-razorbacks-mens-basketball-coach/
how is arkansas not desirable is basketball its a top 25 program as far as tradition goes ark st does not care about basketball only getting 2k in a 10k arena arkansas gets most basketball players they want in their state what killed arkansas the last 20 years
1 2 awful hires after nolan that sit back arkansas 5 years
2 the refs favored nc in 2016 like they did to u in the duke game this year

if arkansas goes 1 more step which is 23-9 24-8 type seasons with sweet 16 runs they are only benind UK in the SEC all the other SEC Schools just use basketball as filler utill football sping pratrice stars

will muss be a good hire idk but if he can lock down the state of arkansas reucits and add a grad transer every now and then there is no reason arkansas cant go 24-8 every year and be between 20-40 in hoops

how is arkansas not desirable is basketball its a top 25 program as far as tradition goes ark st does not care about basketball only getting 2k in a 10k arena arkansas gets most basketball players they want in their state what killed arkansas the last 20 years
1 2 awful hires after nolan that sit back arkansas 5 years
2 the refs favored nc in 2016 like they did to u in the duke game this year

if arkansas goes 1 more step which is 23-9 24-8 type seasons with sweet 16 runs they are only benind UK in the SEC all the other SEC Schools just use basketball as filler utill football sping pratrice stars

will muss be a good hire idk but if he can lock down the state of arkansas reucits and add a grad transer every now and then there is no reason arkansas cant go 24-8 every year and be between 20-40 in hoops

Welcome to our free board. Love the passion for your team but every team (guilty here as well) can play the “what if” card. The truth is UF, LSU, Missouri and Tenn are further along than Ark in my opinion (not worth much). Ark might have some ballers, but if you’re going to be a great b-ball school, you’ll need more than just Ark recruits.

What’s your history as I really don’t know? How many Final 4 appearances?

Reactions: SkiDog291
Welcome to our free board. Love the passion for your team but every team (guilty here as well) can play the “what if” card. The truth is UF, LSU, Missouri and Tenn are further along than Ark in my opinion (not worth much). Ark might have some ballers, but if you’re going to be a great b-ball school, you’ll need more than just Ark recruits.

Arkansas in the Nolan days used to pull in a lot of Memphis area talent.
Say hello to Penny

When I was young Arkansas had a good team.

peak was between 1978-1995 4 final fours 6 etile 8 9 sweet 16 1 NC over Duke

LSU is about to get put on probation
Missouri is too up/down plus NO Championships or final 4
Tenn No Championships or Final 4 only 1 etile 8
UF i will give u but they do not need to leave their own state

for arkansas to compete they need 2 to 3 SEC caiber players in their own state which is hard to do most of the time and a pipeline through dallas or west texas as well

its easyier to build in basketball in football u need 60-70 good playies in b-ball u just need 7

peak was between 1978-1995 4 final fours 6 etile 8 9 sweet 16 1 NC over Duke

LSU is about to get put on probation
Missouri is too up/down plus NO Championships or final 4
Tenn No Championships or Final 4 only 1 etile 8
UF i will give u but they do not need to leave their own state

for arkansas to compete they need 2 to 3 SEC caiber players in their own state which is hard to do most of the time and a pipeline through dallas or west texas as well

its easyier to build in basketball in football u need 60-70 good playies in b-ball u just need 7
In basketball you really only need 1 great player.

SEC football money has leached into other sports. Now the entire league cares about basketball (and baseball).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT