ADVERTISEMENT

Official: McKenzie Milton Is Transferring

I hope he gets a good gig like Russell Wilson found. Definitely hope he returns to form, even if that is 85% of what he used to be. His vision and ability to dissect defenses was top-notch. I'll be watching his games.

I wish him only the best but I think this is a very, very sad day for UCF and I hope he returns someday as a coach.

What a gift it was to watch Milton play here. He absolutely changed the trajectory and culture of the program. I wish him the best!

Reactions: LemmyKilmister
Sad but happy for him. I'm sure someone will pick him up and start him. I didn't want to see him waste his last year on the sidelines. He deserves so much more. Best Knight ever!

I will root for him but I said a few months after the injury that I thought the best move was to go try to play in the CFL for a year or 2 instead of putting your body on the line in a 6th year in College

I was hoping he and Gabriel would split the position next year and lead us back to a NY6 game. I'm not sure Gabriel has the same ability to win close games that Milton has. This sucks for UCF- Heupel needs to convince him to stay. There are no guarantees at another school.

Reactions: KnightLife1
I will root for him but I said a few months after the injury that I thought the best move was to go try to play in the CFL for a year or 2 instead of putting your body on the line in a 6th year in College
What guarantee is there that the CFL would even have interest? Milton was always going to have to prove his health at the college level before someone was going to pay him to play football. He was a longshot for the NFL even before the injury.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
What guarantee is there that the CFL would even have interest? Milton was always going to have to prove his health at the college level before someone was going to pay him to play football. He was a longshot for the NFL even before the injury.
Hamilton drafted for his rights

I think Texas would be a good option if they are interested, Ellinger was overrated and he would have solid talent around him in a Conference that has issues playing Defense

Reactions: GILL T
I was hoping he and Gabriel would split the position next year and lead us back to a NY6 game. I'm not sure Gabriel has the same ability to win close games that Milton has. This sucks for UCF- Heupel needs to convince him to stay. There are no guarantees at another school.

If we had no dominant QB he would play here. He’s doing what is best for himself and the team. Kudos to KZ for being a professional about the situation.

If we had no dominant QB he would play here. He’s doing what is best for himself and the team. Kudos to KZ for being a professional about the situation.
Yep it’s not just the Hawaii connection, KZ knows how talented DG is which makes the snide remarks from fans about not being clutch stupid. UCF’s decline is not on him.

Yep it’s not just the Hawaii connection, KZ knows how talented DG is which makes the snide remarks from fans about not being clutch stupid. UCF’s decline is not on him.
You got your wish. No need to rag on those who disagree with you. Furthermore, no one has spoken to whether MM decided this after meeting with Heup and determining that Heup wants to play the QB that Heup recruited. We may never know whether this was really MM's decision or whether Heup basically made this decision for him.

Damn! It will be heartbreaking to see him playing in another school's colors. I hope he gets great options to prove himself and realize his dream. Texas was a good shout.

When a dude has the talent and fire that big to play you've just got to let them go. I'm just stoked we're taking about him playing again after this long road back.

While I agree, it’s not a slam dunk:

Daunte Culpepper
and remember he only played in 11 games each year

1997 3,524 total yards, 30 total touchdowns QB rating 146.9
1998 4,174 total yards, 40 total touchdowns QB rating 170.2
I was going to make the argument that the level of competition was not the same, but looking back we legit played a tough schedule in 1997. Like legit tougher than what we have now. 4 SEC teams, Nebraska who would win the National Championship, but then 1998 we didn't play a tough schedule at all. So it goes for the independents I guess.

Still, while I do believe Culpepper put the program on the map, did he really have a signature win for us? It was all, well Central Florida played us a lot tougher than we thought they would back then. With Milton you've got a lot to choose from. 25 straight wins speaks for itself.

Along with his talent he definitely has the "it" factor. It's the factor that quickly rallies everybody around them. I hope he finds a good team to take advantage of everything he offers.

I also hope that DG steps up and gets really ballsy in the leadership next season. He needs to take more charge on the field and on the sideline. His talent is unquestioned. Now he has to just exude confidence with everything he does. He shows flashes of being a runner, look for more opportunities and just do it, will it on the field. Be more vocal on the sidelines. Make UCF now his team for the next 2 years. Work on speed / quickness drills this off-season :) and make us forget what we're losing with Milton moving on :) We have other QBs waiting in the wings and RBs ready to impact this program as well in the backfield, stepping up :)

Heupel can really claim this is his guys at this point out there.

Go Knights! Always love KZ!

Reactions: UCFatz1
You got your wish. No need to rag on those who disagree with you. Furthermore, no one has spoken to whether MM decided this after meeting with Heup and determining that Heup wants to play the QB that Heup recruited. We may never know whether this was really MM's decision or whether Heup basically made this decision for him.
The ESPN article claims KZ made the decision before meeting with Heup and CJH tried to convince him to reconsider.

I'm ok with being in the minority opinion but a lot of the same fans that wanted to ship KZ back to Hawaii after the Cure Bowl and almost did are the same ones discounting DG. I'm just trusting my eyes and what I see in the context of the current team, my 2 year old posts in the recruiting thread back it up on what I think of DG. And no fan wants an awkward situation but you gauge risk, upside ceiling, & durability. KZ doesn't transfer if DG is at Georgia right now and Mack is the starter. If the situation was flipped today and KZ was staying with DG transferring I think you would be surprised how long the interest list would be. I will root for KZ to win every game wherever he goes but there is a chance that just a tick of his athleticism has declined and a bit of hesitation to not run as much may make his efficiency from the pocket go down, you take that risk to bench a 2 year starter if you have an average talent at QB.

The current issues at UCF are on Heup. He doesn't get game flow, stunts momentum with wrong plays calls at key times, and the talent and/or development at WR has regressed the last 2 years.

Just looking at possible teams for KZ which who knows where that will be but King stepped in from Houston to Miami and they have beaten everybody but Clemson this season. Why not give KZ a shot like King who was only there for one year? Don't follow Nebraska but none of their QBs has thrown for over 200 yards this season? How about a team like App St which may be a safer intermediate step for him going to his PRO dream?

I really thought there would be some posters we’d have to talk off the ledge when this day came. I hope KZ gets hits shot. He deserves it.

Reactions: Yaes
The ESPN article claims KZ made the decision before meeting with Heup and CJH tried to convince him to reconsider.

I'm ok with being in the minority opinion but a lot of the same fans that wanted to ship KZ back to Hawaii after the Cure Bowl and almost did are the same ones discounting DG. I'm just trusting my eyes and what I see in the context of the current team, my 2 year old posts in the recruiting thread back it up on what I think of DG. And no fan wants an awkward situation but you gauge risk, upside ceiling, & durability. KZ doesn't transfer if DG is at Georgia right now and Mack is the starter. If the situation was flipped today and KZ was staying with DG transferring I think you would be surprised how long the interest list would be. I will root for KZ to win every game wherever he goes but there is a chance that just a tick of his athleticism has declined and a bit of hesitation to not run as much may make his efficiency from the pocket go down, you take that risk to bench a 2 year starter if you have an average talent at QB.

The current issues at UCF are on Heup. He doesn't get game flow, stunts momentum with wrong plays calls at key times, and the talent and/or development at WR has regressed the last 2 years.
1000% pool

McKenzie is greatest quarterback UCF ever had. Change my mind.
That’s all good and well but what does that have to do with him transferring and Gabriel playing another 2 seasons for us?

So you go with Milton. Gabriel transfers. Milton sprains his knee week 3 and then you are rolling with an unknown quantity. Why would you do that with a known quantity that just played the prior two seasons.

It’s not like Dillon’s numbers are god-awful. They’re fantastic for a true sophomore: 17-6 as a starter; 7096 yards, 59 TDs against 11 Ints....so far in a shortened seconds season (missing 3 games of starts due to covid).

KZ was 19-7 after two seasons, for reference. 6020 yards; 47 TDs against 16 Ints.

Agree Milton had an “it” factor not many college QBs have but you don’t throw the numbers from the last two seasons under the bus for a “maybe”....a roll down memory lane.

Last edited:

By WR you mean defense right? With an average defense and/or kicker we are sitting at 9-0 and ranked top 7. While Trequan Smith and Akins were huge to the success of 2017 as evidenced by Milton’s shout out to them, Shaquem Griffin and Mike Hughes were bigger factors in the success. Mike Hughes alone had 4 defensive/special teams TDs in 2017. This year we have 0 total. We went a stretch against usf in 2017 where we scored on only 1 out of 10 possessions and our defense kept us in the game. If we went 9 out of 10 possessions without scoring on Black Friday this year we would have lost by 4 touchdowns to them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT