ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma State may not have a team by November

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com
I know it's Message Board Geniuses, but the OSU community is in a dither over rumored comments Mike Gundy made about NIL... long story short, he hates it and hasn't embraced it, which is why a bunch of players transferred out during the offseason and why some think they could be an exodus after Saturday, which is the fourth game.

This was originally from a Reddit rumor but I think deleted:

According to sources, Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy delivered a speech to a group of OSU staff and donors about his disapproval of NIL and the current state of college football.

In early August, Coach Gundy addressed a group of around 100 people, including the Pokes with a Purpose team, staff, and top donors of OSU. Sources say he spoke negatively about NIL, deeming it unimportant and expressing his disapproval of student-athletes receiving “A bunch of money.”

“I’ve been here for 40 years, and I can do what I want,” Gundy reportedly said, emphasizing that many of his staff disagreed with his stance on NIL.

Gundy also stressed the need for increased funding for facilities, deeming it the top priority compared to other resources, again underlining his tenure and decision-making role in the program.

Gundy’s speech and consistent opposition to NIL left top donors, PWAP staff, and the many administration members “disappointed.”

During the off-season, OSU experienced 16 transfers, 13 being starters or having significant playing time—the most prominent being Mason Cobb and Spencer Sanders. Sources indicate that one of the main reasons motivating Sanders and Cobb was the opportunity presented by NIL outside the program.

Sanders received disappointing offers, while Mason Cobb found a significant opportunity at USC. The Cowboys reportedly experienced a substantial increase in their NIL earnings over the past year, totaling over $3 million.

Gundy appears to have resisted the evolving landscape of college football. According to USA Today, the Cowboys had the smallest recruiting budget among public universities in the Power 5, amounting to approximately $450,000

Since their Fiesta Bowl victory, the Cowboys have posted a 9-7 record. Multiple sources close to NIL suggest that a significant part of this can be attributed to his perceived lack of effort in engaging with donors and advancing NIL initiatives within the program.

This comes shortly after former defensive coordinator Jim Knowles left the Cowboys for an opportunity at Ohio State. He is currently one of the highest-paid assistant coaches in college football.

Oklahoma State remains on rough ground after a rough loss to Sun Belt foe South Alabama, 33-7, on Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News