ADVERTISEMENT

Old Article on Jason Candle

Poolside Knight

Todd's Tiki Bar
Apr 2, 2007
http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...-candles-coaching-style-has-temples-attention

Former Temple Coach Rhule praising him, like this quote:

Though Toledo became successful in a different way, Rhule appreciates the Rockets heavy use of one-back, one-tight-end formations and how Candle uses them. Rhule marveled that UT can switch from power football to spread offense and not change any players, calling them "one of the best coached programs I've ever seen."

Both programs spent seven weeks in the Associated Press Top 25 this year, and both have chances to attain historical relevance Tuesday night. A Toledo win will made the Rockets the first UT team since 2001 to win 10 games; a Temple win would make the Owls the first 11-win team in program history.

Both sides have a mutual appreciation for different methods, yet similar conclusions.

"Some teams we play are one dimensional, so you can attack them one dimensionally," Rhule said. "[Toledo] can run, they can throw, they can run everything. ... You have to defend everything.

"They're just really well thought-out. That's why they've been winning for a long time."

Pool how'd you find that out?*
Tijuana-Flats-Hot-Bar1.jpg

In a way I see this as a better hire than Sumlin. If you look at Sumlin's coaching record, you will see that he had some lights out years, but they coincided with having some freakish quarterbacks, neither of which he recruited. He came to Houston in 2008 when Case Keenum was gearing up to break out and inherited Johnny Manzeil in his first year at A&M.

If he came to UCF with Milton at QB, one would have to say he is the luckiest coach ever in terms of inheriting QBs. Look at Charlie Strong and how quickly Texas picked him up. Did anyone ever take a moment to ask if he was that good of a coach or if Bridgewater was responsible for Louisville's success.

Also, I think Candle might stay longer than Sumlin. I worry that Sumlim might just use our in place talent to propel himself back into a P5 conference ASAP.

Candle is a good choice as well. Scored a lot of points this year and was up against Miami 16-10 at halftime. Not worried about their defense, as it seems to be all about the DC

They lost 52-30 and moved the balll well with far less talent. Miami just wore them out in the 4th quarter with their talented RB Walton breaking big runs

They were 11-2.

I do like that he's a spread coach but still uses some power packages. That is 1 frustration that I had sometimes with Frost, even Norvell would go power occasionally.

In a way I see this as a better hire than Sumlin. If you look at Sumlin's coaching record, you will see that he had some lights out years, but they coincided with having some freakish quarterbacks, neither of which he recruited. He came to Houston in 2008 when Case Keenum was gearing up to break out and inherited Johnny Manzeil in his first year at A&M.

If he came to UCF with Milton at QB, one would have to say he is the luckiest coach ever in terms of inheriting QBs. Look at Charlie Strong and how quickly Texas picked him up. Did anyone ever take a moment to ask if he was that good of a coach or if Bridgewater was responsible for Louisville's success.

Also, I think Candle might stay longer than Sumlin. I worry that Sumlim might just use our in place talent to propel himself back into a P5 conference ASAP.

Sumlin's name recognition will bring in a better recruiting class but there is the concern with complacency.

Candle could be that under the radar x&o genius hire that in 2 years might be just as big as a Superstar that Frost became but he might not recruit as well to start.

Reactions: Psycho Jim
I do like that he's a spread coach but still uses some power packages. That is 1 frustration that I had sometimes with Frost, even Norvell would go power occasionally.

Sumlin's name recognition will bring in a better recruiting class but there is the concern with complacency.

Candle could be that under the radar x&o genius hire that in 2 years might be just as big as a Superstar that Frost became but he might not recruit as well to start.
No he is not a good hire. The team will be good next year and then after that most of Frosts recruits will leave. We will lose a lot this year with him announced and we don't need Toledo recruits following him here. We need a bigger name. Recruits do not fall over themselves to play for him yet.

No he is not a good hire. The team will be good next year and then after that most of Frosts recruits will leave. We will lose a lot this year with him announced and we don't need Toledo recruits following him here. We need a bigger name. Recruits do not fall over themselves to play for him yet.
Did you even know who Frost was 2 years ago?

Toledo fans freaking out

http://csnbbs.com/thread-836028.html

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
you step on your own toes there....."team will be good next year"...which will make Candle recruiting even stronger. Recruits did not know SF either....and after another strong season as you say then recruits will come calling.

Maybe even bigger then SF. At least Candle has some talent to get started.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT