ADVERTISEMENT

One play

ucfjosh2000

Silver Knight
Jan 29, 2003
Orlando, FL
Man, I was very impressed with the way the team played for the most part. We were right there, in the game in the 4th quarter until one crucial play cost us a chance in my opinion.

Down 7, but driving with 1st and 10 at the Kansas St 27 yard line, early in the 4th quarter. McClain dropped back to pass and had ALL DAY! I mean it felt like he surveyed the field for a good 10 seconds at least and then started to scramble to his left and I guess thought he could get around the defender near the sideline but was forced out for a loss of 12. If he had simply thrown it away, it would be 2nd and 10 from the 27. Instead we’re looking at 2nd and 22 from the 39 and we never recover from there. Tough tough play for a kid and team that balled out this game.

Even though it kinda spiraled from there, I’m still real encouraged that we can have a very solid year and win more games than I predicted. Looking forward to rebounding next week against Baylor. The stadium is gonna be jumpin, can’t wait!

Man, I was very impressed with the way the team played for the most part. We were right there, in the game in the 4th quarter until one crucial play cost us a chance in my opinion.

Down 7, but driving with 1st and 10 at the Kansas St 27 yard line, early in the 4th quarter. McClain dropped back to pass and had ALL DAY! I mean it felt like he surveyed the field for a good 10 seconds at least and then started to scramble to his left and I guess thought he could get around the defender near the sideline but was forced out for a loss of 12. If he had simply thrown it away, it would be 2nd and 10 from the 27. Instead we’re looking at 2nd and 22 from the 39 and we never recover from there. Tough tough play for a kid and team that balled out this game.

Even though it kinda spiraled from there, I’m still real encouraged that we can have a very solid year and win more games than I predicted. Looking forward to rebounding next week against Baylor. The stadium is gonna be jumpin, can’t wait!
That changed the game for sure. Coaches need to work with him to throw it away

Reactions: MercedesKnight
It was one of the most inexplicable QB plays I've ever seen, and he had 2 delay of game penalties on the same drive. Overall he played a decent game but he completely lost focus on that drive and it cost us.

That play and the roughing the passer on the 3rd down where Howard ended up throwing an incompletion when it was tied at 24 really hurt. I'd almost argue that was just as, if not more important. We could have had the ball in a tie game and a chance to go up. That 3rd quarter had a lot of really undisciplined penalties on our end in general.

Overall I thought we looked decent and we definitely looked motivated and ready to play. Gus needs to keep hauling in Oline/Dline recruits, we got bullied up front. Timmy looked solid until that head scratching 12 yard loss, and it rattled him from then on. Kind of funny we have JRP who has a hard time going through reads and wants to immediately take off, and then Timmy who will wait too long.

Last edited:
Blunder after blunder. UCF gotta play clean football if going to beat top tier teams.

As frustrating as last night's game was I thought we did show some promise but just didn't play 60 minutes.

K-State Will Howard was not injured. He ran and threw all over the place. He is a great Qb and looked NFL caliber.

Pick up the pieces, and lets go...More football to be played. Baylor at home next Saturday. Go Knights.

That play and the roughing the passer on the 3rd down where Howard ended up throwing an incompletion when it was tied at 24 really hurt. I'd almost argue that was just as, if not more important. We could have had the ball in a tie game and a chance to go up. That 3rd quarter had a lot of really undisciplined penalties on our end in general.

Overall I thought we looked decent and we definitely looked motivated and ready to play. Gus needs to keep hauling in Oline/Dline recruits, we got bullied up front. Timmy looked solid until that head scratching 12 yard loss, and it rattled him from then on. Kind of funny we have JRP who has a hard time going through reads and wants to immediately take off, and then Timmy who will wait too long.
“Kind of funny we have JRP who has a hard time going through reads and wants to immediately take off, and then Timmy who will wait too long.”

I’d take this second problem all day long, over the first.

We wouldn't have even been there if JR hadn't ripped off that massive run for first down on a field possession handoff from deep in our own territory on 3rd and 20+.

It's hard to blame it all on one play when so many things need to go right against the defending champs on the road, but I do agree that those two mentioned here stung, the roughing penalty arguably more, since it's a lot harder to get momentum on defense.

Reactions: 90Knight
I completely disagree. UCF’s offense scored points on five of their eleven drives in the game. McClain running out of bounds was a momentum killer on that ONE drive, but was far from the difference in the game.

You could argue Harvey’s first half fumble was just as bad, if not worse. Also, Gus deciding not to go for it on 4th and 2 in plus territory (tie game on the road, defense couldn’t stop them, need the points) was a massive error as well.

And then of course, the defense allowed KSU to score every second half possession (and gave up over 550 total yards in the game).

Def. not just one play in a game like that (for me).

“Kind of funny we have JRP who has a hard time going through reads and wants to immediately take off, and then Timmy who will wait too long.”

I’d take this second problem all day long, over the first.
Agree, at least the latter gives skill players a chance to make a play. If Timmy improves his ability to use the throw away pass or use RB check down I'd say his performance was actually promising for a road start against the conference champs.

Reactions: 90Knight

I watched two of McClain's games at USF on YouTube, and I saw McClain buy time in the pocket similar things against BYU and Houston. The difference is when McClain was able to buy time and get outside the pocket, his wide receivers were able to get open. When he bought time last night, I cannot explain how no wide receiver was able to get open. I blame coach Grant Heard. I don't think he has worked the scramble drill enough with these wide receivers. It is understandable because UCF hasn't had a quarterback who scrambles to throw. JRP is a quarterback who scrambles to run. The wide receivers are used to blocking when JRP scrambles, not used to getting open.

Reactions: Drew-C-F and Yaes

The Bill stadium is loud, and the fans are organized and energetic. Especially in the first game of conference play. I agree with your analysis. This game could easily have gone the other way, the same as 2010.

It was one of the most inexplicable QB plays I've ever seen, and he had 2 delay of game penalties on the same drive. Overall he played a decent game but he completely lost focus on that drive and it cost us.
This, this, this!!! I was sitting in a suite and could clearly see the whole debacle unfold. TMC missed a couple open options while holding the ball for a huge amount of time. But I believe our receivers should do a much better job on scrambling to get open when the pass plays break down.
Running out of bounds for a 12 yard loss and the two delay of game penalties was the catalyst KState needed to truly take charge of the game. I like Timmy and I thought he did a lot of really good things on Sat but this series of downs was inexcusable QB play in my opinion.

Reactions: U C to the F
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT