ADVERTISEMENT

Orlando has its own "FIU bridge"

How the hell does this kind of stuff happen? I know Florida probably has different codes and regulations than we do in Nebraska, but I can't imagine them being that much different with structural concrete. If there was a problem with piers, the engineer should have picked that up within a week of them being poured and had them torn out and repoured.

Reactions: UCFWayne
How the hell does this kind of stuff happen? I know Florida probably has different codes and regulations than we do in Nebraska, but I can't imagine them being that much different with structural concrete. If there was a problem with piers, the engineer should have picked that up within a week of them being poured and had them torn out and repoured.
The cost and difficulty of tearing out piers and replacing them generally makes it not the solution they ever go with, anywhere. A problem was noticed during inspections, and engineers test and design a solution for it in order to solve the problem, that is typical practice everywhere. A temporary support was added in case the pier fails while the engineers figure it out.

https://www.artba.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Nebraska-State-Bridge-Profile.pdf
17% of the bridges in Nebraska are structurally deficient

Reactions: NinjaKnight
The cost and difficulty of tearing out piers and replacing them generally makes it not the solution they ever go with, anywhere. A problem was noticed during inspections, and engineers test and design a solution for it in order to solve the problem, that is typical practice everywhere. A temporary support was added in case the pier fails while the engineers figure it out.

https://www.artba.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Nebraska-State-Bridge-Profile.pdf
17% of the bridges in Nebraska are structurally deficient

I'm talking about during the course of construction. Every structural engineer I have ever worked with has required test cores for every pour. I just don't understand how the entire thing can be built and THEN find out there was a problem with the piers.

I'm talking about during the course of construction. Every structural engineer I have ever worked with has required test cores for every pour. I just don't understand how the entire thing can be built and THEN find out there was a problem with the piers.
At this point, they don't even know if there is a real problem, just some concerning cracks. Concrete cracks, we see that everywhere, and its most susceptible to it early on as it continues to cure, especially in a state with weather like Florida. Have you really ever heard of a new pier getting torn out and repoured? I don't think thats very simple

At this point, they don't even know if there is a real problem, just some concerning cracks. Concrete cracks, we see that everywhere, and its most susceptible to it early on as it continues to cure, especially in a state with weather like Florida. Have you really ever heard of a new pier getting torn out and repoured? I don't think thats very simple

We built a 12000 sq ft assisted living home in 2002 and all of the footings had to be torn out because the concrete didn't meet specs. Fortunately the concrete company had to eat the expense.

I would be more than happy to give to a stadium safety capital campaign.

We built a 12000 sq ft assisted living home in 2002 and all of the footings had to be torn out because the concrete didn't meet specs. Fortunately the concrete company had to eat the expense.
That is nothing like a bridge pier... footings can easily be dug up and torn out of the ground, its done all the time. You aren't doing that to this, its not an option even being considered, it would be way too difficult. My understanding is if they determine it to be necessary, they'll just add an extra pier, far cheaper and easier and better to have an extra one then rip out this one to replace it.

That is nothing like a bridge pier... footings can easily be dug up and torn out of the ground, its done all the time. You aren't doing that to this, its not an option even being considered, it would be way too difficult. My understanding is if they determine it to be necessary, they'll just add an extra pier, far cheaper and easier and better to have an extra one then rip out this one to replace it.

I'm not talking about doing it now. That would be next to impossible. I'm saying that the engineers should have caught it with their core samples within a week of the piers being encased.

I hear a lot of yelling that we need to fix all of our old, decaying bridges in this country, yet many of these have stood for 60-100 years, and yet we seemingly can't build new ones without them crumbling.

I hear a lot of yelling that we need to fix all of our old, decaying bridges in this country, yet many of these have stood for 60-100 years, and yet we seemingly can't build new ones without them crumbling.
The state of Mississippi has closed over 500 bridges in the state because they simply cannot afford to fix them. Rather than fix them, the state has ordered them closed.

https://mississippitoday.org/2018/04/18/a-bridge-near-you-is-likely-closed-locate-it-show-us/

You do understand Florida is the 3rd most populous state? I grew up in a civil engineering household, and we've got a couple of people around here who are civil engineers, that deal with Florida's realities.

SIDE NOTE: Florida is also funded by the US federal government like it's 1950s population as a mid-sized state (1/7th current) -- hence why most highways are not federally funded, and privately held. It's also how the National Speed Limit law got repealed ... Florida gave the middle finger and raised the speed limits on its toll roads ("we don't need your money").

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT