ADVERTISEMENT

Orlando & Miami Bid Cities for 2026 WC

Poolside Knight

Todd's Tiki Bar
Apr 2, 2007
for the North America bid that won today. My guess is that 1 gets cut when they go to around 12 U.S. Cities. Both cities have plenty of hotel rooms and things to do outside the games but to be honest with the weather being brutally hot from mid June through July the options in other States look better that have climate controlled venues or cooler summers(out West).

DfhDariV4AAOtQk.jpg

we all know the positives that orlando brings to the table. it will be hard for orlando to compete with miami. the citrus bowl is very limited on luxury seating. not to mention that miami has a roof.

There is no chance that Orlando will not be included. ABC owns both Disneyworld and ESPN. Plus, every grafting dignitary from overseas wants to take their kids there. The players like Miami. I bet it is both. Denver, Baltimore and Nashville will get the boot. Weather is irrelevant as the Qatar location, as well as Cape Town in the rainy season, has proven in the past. Count on Atlanta. Coke practically owns the World Cup at this point. Im surprised Bud didnt announce it is building a stadium just for St. Louis, another sponsor. There will be same lame attempt to put down grass in Seattle and we will embarrass ourselves again.

we all know the positives that orlando brings to the table. it will be hard for orlando to compete with miami. the citrus bowl is very limited on luxury seating. not to mention that miami has a roof.
The Dolphins stadium latest renovation doesn't have a retractable roof, it's a cover for most of the seats but still open air though which is better than what Orlando has

I know it doesn't make sense to build a retractable roof with AC Football stadium with no NFL team but I feel like Orlando would be a lock(even over Miami) with one bc of Disney and the theme park infrastructure. Citrus Bowl is the oldest/worst stadium out of all the U.S. bid cities

The Dolphins stadium latest renovation doesn't have a retractable roof, it's a cover for most of the seats but still open air though which is better than what Orlando has

I know it doesn't make sense to build a retractable roof with AC Football stadium with no NFL team but I feel like Orlando would be a lock(even over Miami) with one bc of Disney and the theme park infrastructure. Citrus Bowl is the oldest/worst stadium out of all the U.S. bid cities
oldest? i think you miss typed there....

Dont expect the Citrus Bowl to be the venue. While I never underestimate the capacity of FIFA and USSF to cash grab, venues as small as the Orlando City stadium are routinely used for World Cup final games in Europe.

Dont expect the Citrus Bowl to be the venue. While I never underestimate the capacity of FIFA and USSF to cash grab, venues as small as the Orlando City stadium are routinely used for World Cup final games in Europe.

When was the last WC Final Game that was played in a 27,000 seat stadium?

While there have been a few past WC games in early rounds in some stadiums with capacities in the high 30's-40's range....none of those countries have the NFL with completed stadiums that seat 60,000-70,000 plus seats.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
yeah no way they will allow games to be played in a 25k venue or any of the MLS venues with the money to be made and most likely breaking another attendance record.

This list of cities is already the cut down version.

Orlando has a lot going for it - being a tourist destination on its own being the biggest.

Brightline from Miami MAY (that's a big may) be complete by then, which would make both hosting even more plausible.

We'll know in a couple years how well our local politicians can lobby.

While there have been a few past WC games in early rounds in some stadiums with capacities in the high 30's-40's range....none of those countries have the NFL with completed stadiums that seat 60,000-70,000 plus seats.

The Citrus Bowl is the venue. There's a whole bid book that rates each city already. Any game with a decent team would easily sell out the Citrus Bowl.

The Citrus Bowl is the venue. There's a whole bid book that rates each city already. Any game with a decent team would easily sell out the Citrus Bowl.
Do you have a link for what they are using in priority to evaluate each bid city?

bc if Stadium is #1 then Orlando is going to get cut compared to the other options. And the 1994 successful bid isn't really relevant to today and 8 years from now bc that was before the Stadium boom with all the NFL retractable dome venues. Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas have the heat & t storm concerns but they have retractable roof state of the art venues. That's the big negative for Orlando and Miami for an outside tournament in June and July. Figure Fifa would want to avoid potential Lightning delays

There's a 35000 seat stadium in this year's final and features England and Belgium in the group stage. Both France and Germany had stadiums in the mid 30s. 2010 regularly had attendance figures below their lower 40,000 seat capacities. All of those countries have other venues that were larger than 60,000 that were not used. They have eight years to get ready and expand OCSC's venue and at favorable financing rates since it is World Cup related.

The point is moot given the post above and as I said earlier, given FIFA's cash grab mentality. USA '94 remains the most attended and most profitable World Cup ever and will be until 2026 when those records will be shattered. That doesnt mean that doesn't MLS pulls some stunt and demands and gets a small stadium in a small venue now that the plan has been approved. Nothing surprises me with those jokers and their extortion mentality with USSF.

There isnt any question that the Citrus Bowl would sell out. Just the Brits alone flying over nonstop to stay with relatives and watch 3 random games would sell out. In fact, I got a fiver that says they reconfigure the stadium to bring in even more people.

1994 USA World Cup still has the highest average attendance and total attendance.

Of course all games would sell out, just like they did in 1994 but Orlando was the only site in FL (MAarlins were playing at Joe Robbie back then so that stadium wasn't an option back then).

Now, Miami is a serious threat..and with games played in the day time heat, I think that hurts Orlando's chances.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
There's a 35000 seat stadium in this year's final and features England and Belgium in the group stage. Both France and Germany had stadiums in the mid 30s. 2010 regularly had attendance figures below their lower 40,000 seat capacities. All of those countries have other venues that were larger than 60,000 that were not used. They have eight years to get ready and expand OCSC's venue and at favorable financing rates since it is World Cup related.

The point is moot given the post above and as I said earlier, given FIFA's cash grab mentality. USA '94 remains the most attended and most profitable World Cup ever and will be until 2026 when those records will be shattered. That doesnt mean that doesn't MLS pulls some stunt and demands and gets a small stadium in a small venue now that the plan has been approved. Nothing surprises me with those jokers and their extortion mentality with USSF.

There isnt any question that the Citrus Bowl would sell out. Just the Brits alone flying over nonstop to stay with relatives and watch 3 random games would sell out. In fact, I got a fiver that says they reconfigure the stadium to bring in even more people.

OCSC is not going to expand their venue, unless the expansion is just temporary. The FO is not going to pay for a permanent expansion that is going to make the stadium look more desolate than it already does on game day.

Reactions: Knight_Light
OCSC is not going to expand their venue, unless the expansion is just temporary. The FO is not going to pay for a permanent expansion that is going to make the stadium look more desolate than it already does on game day.

I don’t think it was built to be expanded either.

There would be no small venues in the USA. There weren’t in 94, there wouldn’t be now. They’d have no problem selling tickets.

I don’t think it was built to be expanded either.

There would be no small venues in the USA. There weren’t in 94, there wouldn’t be now. They’d have no problem selling tickets.
If I remember right, they already upped the capacity to what the expansion capacity was planned to be, during the initial build.

If I remember right, they already upped the capacity to what the expansion capacity was planned to be, during the initial build.

Correct. Originally they were going to build it around 18.5 and then up it down the line to 25. Instead, they just built it at 25 initially.

Reactions: UCFWayne
i doubt that ocsc stadium is going to get any games. i can see wc teams using their facilities to train though. i think its all about the citrus bowl in this bid.

i doubt that ocsc stadium is going to get any games. i can see wc teams using their facilities to train though. i think its all about the citrus bowl in this bid.
I bet it would get some of the less interesting games but certainly not a USA v Anyone game.

I bet it would get some of the less interesting games but certainly not a USA v Anyone game.
if they keep the 48 team set up, then i can see ocsc getting a game or 2 of lesser tier games, but nothing major. i can see the citrus bowl getting a mid tier games.

if they keep the 48 team set up, then i can see ocsc getting a game or 2 of lesser tier games, but nothing major. i can see the citrus bowl getting a mid tier games.

GUYS!

It's the Citrus Bowl only. It's part of the official bid already. It can't be changed.

You can view the Bid Book HERE.

Orlando's overview starts on Page 101.

Page 215 talks about Camping World Stadium. Our stadium would be used for the QF/3rd Round games.

Orlando would use Lake Sylvan, UCF, Orlando City Stadium and the future Lake Nona training site for team training. Page 260.

There are also sections for transport, hotels (they would use the JW Marriott and Grand Bo downtown), our airport.

Fan Fests would be at the CFL Fairgrounds and Wall St. (Page 458)

Reactions: UCFWayne
GUYS!

It's the Citrus Bowl only. It's part of the official bid already. It can't be changed.

You can view the Bid Book HERE.

Orlando's overview starts on Page 101.

Page 215 talks about Camping World Stadium. Our stadium would be used for the QF/3rd Round games.

Orlando would use Lake Sylvan, UCF, Orlando City Stadium and the future Lake Nona training site for team training. Page 260.

There are also sections for transport, hotels (they would use the JW Marriott and Grand Bo downtown), our airport.

Fan Fests would be at the CFL Fairgrounds and Wall St. (Page 458)
thanks for clearing that up. odd they didnt include church st for fan fest

I put my money on Nashville, Cincy, Baltimore, Houston, and KC getting cut.
U.S. Soccer's training facilities are in KC so that might tilt things in their favor even though they are lacking behind Denver, Cincy, and Nashville on being a good host city. With Mexico City hosting I don't think altitude would hurt Denver

U.S. Soccer's training facilities are in KC so that might tilt things in their favor even though they are lacking behind Denver, Cincy, and Nashville on being a good host city. With Mexico City hosting I don't think altitude would hurt Denver
By accepting Azteca, they set the precedent for high elevation stadiums. Also Denver has a large airport and decent public transport so I could see them having a game there. Also doubt they keep all the games on the East/West coasts, they really should have some centrally located. Summer weather in Denver is also about as good as you can get, especially for evening/night games.

No...all games in the US would sell out 60,000-70,000 seat stadiums, just like in 1994.

It's hilarious if anyone thinks a 2026 WC game in the USA would be played in a 25,000 seat stadium like OC.

Note: Smallest USA Stadium from 1994 World Cup was the 53,142 RFK Stadium in DC.

Last edited:
odd that canada didnt include vancouver

They got the Women's WC Final a few years ago (and other matches) and probably figured Seattle is a big regional favorite so Canada focused on other cities (Toronto, Montreal and Edmonton).

Denver is not included in flyover country IMO.
yeah I figured that, seen some say it's the border of midwest to West. Culturally Denver definitely feels like the West/California.

I think Nashville would be a cool small to medium sized city to host, that city is on the upswing & not many foreign tourists would consider it otherwise.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT