ADVERTISEMENT

Orlando Sentinel Projected WR Depth Chart YGTBFKM

AuburnLegacy_1

Silver Knight
Feb 4, 2022
I understand as a reporter you don't get paid much. I also understand that you don't have to have a lot of common sense or football knowledge to get a job among the shrinking pool of applicants in the dying industry of print journalism.

Still, I cannot let this go unreposted.

Ron here (last name Ron, first name Mo) thinks Ja'Varrius Johnson is third team. Ron done lost his d*mn mind.

It is bad enough not list Agiye Hall on the depth chart, but to put Johnson third team is a fireable offense.

Projected depth chart
WR1 — Kobe Hudson
WR1 — Xavier Townsend
WR1 — Trent Whittemore

WR2 — Bredell Richardson
WR2 — Jarrad Baker
WR2 — Jacoby Jones

WR3 — Tyree Patterson
WR3 — Ja’Varrius Johnson
WR3 — Chauncey Magwood

Matt Murschel can be reached at mmurschel@orlandosentinel.com

I can't decide between Jacoby Jones and Agiye Hall for the X position. I love Agiye Hall, but some (not me) think Jones can have a Brandon Johnson-caliber season for UCF. So it is like spitting hairs for me between Jones and Hall.

I have to go full nuclear on this Xavier Townsend take.

@MattMuschel WTH man? Do you watch football? Townsend is "getting butter." I would start Jarrad Baker over his @$$. There is literally not one thing Townsend can do better than Johnson, except maybe return punts and that's highly debtable. Johnson ain't depth. He is electric. Johnson is faster, stronger, has better hands, is more seasoned, etc.

No! No! No!

homelander-stronger.gif

Johnson entered the portal on Dec. 15, and Gus offered the same day! Johnson was the No. 1 WR at AUBURN. The No. 2 guy is probably going to start at USC. Gus didn't sign Johnson in the early signing period. Townsend would have hit the portal. It is that simple.

Johnson will get most of the route running snaps AND most of the jet sweep snaps AND will split blocking snaps with Baker. Townsend will get the leftover snaps. By the Big 12 home opener: The snap breakdown will look like this: Johnson, 40%; Baker, 30%-40%; Townsend, 20%-30%.

EDIT: All of the projected depth charts have Xavier Townsend changing positions to X, but I still don't think he belongs on the same field with Johnson, Hall, Jones, and Hudson.

Last edited:
I think you are all alone with the “ Townsend is getting butter” take. I think he takes another step forward this year, just like he did last year.
You are correct. I changed my take to is "getting butter."

A couple of weeks back, I watched two complete games -- Oklahoma and Houston -- the ones in which he had his best stats, and focused solely on his play when did not have the ball in his hands. I was highly whelmed, especially at his blocking and effort.

I would have given Jarrad Baker more snaps in 2023.

"... but want more than anything, we're going to be a physical group. Sometimes guys look at the wide receiver position and you think about being finesse and all about speed--and we're going to be about those things, too, when we have to. But when you watch us play, you know, what you are going to do when you watch the tape or watch us live and say 'Those guys play hard. They blocking down the field. They playing without the football.'"

Time Stamp: 4:24-4:46

"My philosophy is about being able to catch the ball consistently, which is our No. 1 job, but the way that we play without the football and how hard we play, you're going to see that every time you watch us out there on the field."

Time Stamp: 5:00-5:13

Last edited:
Why the hate on Townsend? Does he owe you money?
My point was not so much to trash Townsend. He is a Knight. I want him to be the very best version of himself. I hope the new competition in the wide receiver room brings his competitive juices to the surface and forces him rise to the occasion.

Instead, I was hammering the writer for shoddy journalism. I praised that same writer for getting contracts for the new coaches.

Projected depth chart
WR1 — Kobe Hudson
WR1 — Xavier Townsend
WR1 — Trent Whittemore
No Way Week 3 GIF by NFL On Prime Video

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT