ADVERTISEMENT

Orlando Theme Parks in Recruiting

ucfjosh2000

Silver Knight
Jan 29, 2003
Orlando, FL
How much do we sell recruits on access to all the major theme parks in Orlando? We should be hooking these guys up with season passes/fast passes to all the major theme parks like Disney, Universal, and water parks. I was just thinking of what there is to do in Orlando vs what there is to offer in Gainesville.

The social media team posts multiple videos a year of the current players at various parks, no doubt they sell it to the recruits.

other than Horror Nights and Universal Knights thought most students didn’t like UCF being associated w the theme park image . It was more of a change of pace not part of the main social experience.

I wish we had Disney or Universal endorsement money though
I don't know, it's been my experience that a lot of the younger set still go to theme parks regularly, but I agree with you, some of the Disney or Universal money would be a big help. Though I have successfully gotten mony from them for scholarships I know from experience it's like trying to get blood out of a turnip. They do not depart with it easily. The highest administrative officials will have to be involved in the effort if you hope to be successful raising significant amounts of dollars.

Reactions: Robert0122
How much do we sell recruits on access to all the major theme parks in Orlando?
Hey, 4-star recruit, you wanna go to Disneyworld?
ume9w.jpg

It helps to put us over the edge from their families, especially if they have younger siblings.

How much do we sell recruits on access to all the major theme parks in Orlando? We should be hooking these guys up with season passes/fast passes to all the major theme parks like Disney, Universal, and water parks. I was just thinking of what there is to do in Orlando vs what there is to offer in Gainesville.
Back in the 80s we were bringing recruits to Disney Current players would bring prospective recruits. Also downtown Orlando bar on Church street was another destination

Last edited:
don’t remember if Gus uses the parks as part of visits but we have and also current players usually do a team trip during summer workouts

but as far as everyday student life I don’t think it is as big of a selling point . most of the time is spent in East Orlando, Downtown, and Winter Park. rather take the drive to Cocoa Beach than Epcot.

If we can score points on Colorado we will win. I don’t see them beating us in a shootout. Obviously if we have trouble scoring it won’t end well.
Admittedly, I could be wrong, but I'm not convinced from what I've seen thus far that the Knights would win a shootout. The key (to me) will be for UCF to pound the Buffs with their ground game and control the T.O.P.

Admittedly, I could be wrong, but I'm not convinced from what I've seen thus far that the Knights would win a shootout. The key (to me) will be for UCF to pound the Buffs with their ground game and control the T.O.P.
We better be able to pass if we cannot run the ball effectively and we cannot fall to far behind.

I'm not talking about It's a Small World and Dumbo, I'm talking about roller coasters, Halloween Horror Nights, and water parks when it's 100 degrees out. Who doesn't love that stuff?

I'm not talking about It's a Small World and Dumbo, I'm talking about roller coasters, Halloween Horror Nights, and water parks when it's 100 degrees out. Who doesn't love that stuff?
I'm not going to say that the city of Orlando doesn't offer recruits an attractive college town with things to do. That's a definite recruiting advantage over, say, Stillwater, Oklahoma or Manhattan, Kansas.

But successful "Big Dawg" football recruiting requires attracting recruits who wonder, "Is this school going to provide me with the development program and coaching that will give me a shot at the next level?"

Whether those expectations are realistic or not, that's what all the recruits that UCF wants to sign are thinking. If I was a Knights coach and a recruit is looking at us because of Orlando's theme parks, it makes me wonder if the kid is really dedicated to becoming a great football player.

Reactions: ucfjosh2000
I'm not going to say that the city of Orlando doesn't offer recruits an attractive college town with things to do. That's a definite recruiting advantage over, say, Stillwater, Oklahoma or Manhattan, Kansas.

But successful "Big Dawg" football recruiting requires attracting recruits who wonder, "Is this school going to provide me with the development program and coaching that will give me a shot at the next level?"

Whether those expectations are realistic or not, that's what all the recruits that UCF wants to sign are thinking. If I was a Knights coach and a recruit is looking at us because of Orlando's theme parks, it makes me wonder if the kid is really dedicated to becoming a great football player.
I doubt anyone is making decisions solely on what can be done in the little bit of down time they have. But if 2 schools are tied in every other area, the weather abd things to do could break the tie. It definitely doesn’t hurt.

I doubt anyone is making decisions solely on what can be done in the little bit of down time they have. But if 2 schools are tied in every other area, the weather abd things to do could break the tie. It definitely doesn’t hurt.
Back in the day the weather was a big time recruiting tool n still is. The NIL money seems to be the driver now though.

Back in the day the weather was a big time recruiting tool n still is. The NIL money seems to be the driver now though.
I have talked about this in the Recruiting Thread before. UCF is sort of an in between of urban and more rural college town. Been to enough other colleges to say UCF is unique in that regard and it is a real fun place to be a student athlete.

The weather during football season kind of sucks but it is around Halloween and especially Spring Semester where it definitely beats being at Iowa State.

Reactions: DaShuckster
The weather during football season kind of sucks but it is around Halloween and especially Spring Semester where it definitely beats being at Iowa State.
Now that UCF is in a "Big Dawg" Conference, I agree with Poolside that central Florida's weather becomes more of a recruiting factor.

When many of your conference homies (and recruiting competitors) play in cold, windy and even snowy weather conditions in late October/November, Orlando's 70-ish temps look awfully sweet. 👍

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT