ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Any Plex users out there? Question about hardware / software

AGLamb

Diamond Knight
Gold Member
Nov 28, 2021
Hi All - there was an IPTV thread floating around for a while but this is kinda different so I figured I'd start a new thread.

Interested in downloading a bunch of older kids shows from when I was a kid for the baby, old sesame street that sort of thing and then hosting it on a plex server for my house and some friends. A friend was telling me about how cocomelon got his kid so overstimulated she started crying. It's inevitable that kids have to watch tv but modern media for kids just seems so sinister and laser focused on pushing them in to some freaky algorithm

What I have now:
  • old (2011) i5 imac I think is powerful enough to use as the server / processing
  • Netgear SXK80 router that should be robust enough to push whatever needs pushing
  • 250gbps up/down Fios internet
  • subscription to alldebrid

What I need:
  • 2x big hard drives (like 12tb each?) and some sort of enclosure?
  • software

What I'd like to be able to do:
  • send 4k and below content to tvs on my local network, as well as possibly send it to friends and family remotely?
  • send 720p-ish content to phones etc while travelling
  • have some sort of content filtering so kids can only watch kids stuff

questions i have:
  • is the imac good enough to use? it doesn't get updates so it's stuck on High Sierra. i also have a i7 SFF pc my IT department gave me i could use instead, but i like the imac's included monitor etc so it has a smaller footprint in my storage room. if windows / linux is appreciably easier to use for all this stuff i can just do that instead. i dont think it has a high speed usb port
  • what do i need to do to connect the hard drives to my imac? it has a 10gbps thunderbolt port which i assume i'd need to connect to some sort of multi drive dock? usb isn't fast enough is it? i'd love to have the computer do the heavy lifting to back up the HDDs for a DIY NAS thing vs. buying an expensive enclosure
  • do i basically just run the plex server on the 'server' (imac) and then download the client on everything else?
  • is there a way i can set up my network so i can manage downloads but they goto folders on the remote plex server? can i do this remotely?

appreciate any intel anyone can provide

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News