OT: Computer Programming Team

Psycho Jim

Bronze Knight
Oct 21, 2011
Once again the best in the country!
10th best in the world!
#ChargeOn
Drhrp0ZUwAAPvyC

Curious, am I the only programming team alum on here?
Best man at my wedding was another team alumnus as well -- a fellow UCF CECS graduate of the mid '90s. He was the 4.0 GPA student we all hated in classes.

You wouldn't believe how much people in the greater software engineering community -- from the Northeast (especially NYC) to the tech west -- know of UCF because of the ICPC. I've had about a half-dozen clients respond, after they either asked or noted from my CV that I'm a UCF CECS grad, "Good programming teams."

Of course, when they ask if I was on them, I just respond, "No, I graduated Summa Damn Lucky." Humility is always the best opt-out.

Reactions: SublimeKnight
Wasn't on the programming team, but I went 2x to the yearly high school programming competition at UCF in high school. Also went to the UF competition.

Both parents graduated from UF, I was accepted to UF honors program, and always thought UF was a lock. However, the competition was vastly more impressive at UCF. The setup, the flow of it (, and beauty of campus blew me away.) UF was kind of a run down dump to be honest. Played a major role in me going to UCF.

Kids on this team are no joke. Must practice for hours a day I would think. I know winners of high school competition get a full ride to UCF.

How much KGB money you think is flowing into them?
Not as much as the CIA pumps into our universities. It's always funny to see these stones thrown, when we've been much better at it than the Russians.

Yes, the Russians heavily interfere. They have for decades, and the US became a huge target for them again back in the mid '00s, along with the Ukranians (they've always been on the Czechs and Poles forever). But we do the same, and then some.

As far as everything else, one of the best Made for TV Movies from the Cold War was HBO's Tailspin (impossible to find), which was about the South Korean 747 shoot down. It also does an excellent job of explaining not only why the Russians thought the 747 was a 707 operating in the area (USAF pilots have regularly made the same mistake when trying to 'fuel up' to a tanker at night), but where the 'communication breakdown' occurred, especially when the chain-of-command could not be reached in a small window.

One of the protagonists (or antagonists, depending on one's viewpoint), made the case about how we would be consider it an "An Act of War" if the Russians did as everything we did. It's basically the reality ... one that continues through today. Don't even get me started on the Ukraine again. ;)

Kids on this team are no joke. Must practice for hours a day I would think. I know winners of high school competition get a full ride to UCF.

When I was there, we'd practice on Saturday's for 4 hours and 2 hours one other weeknight. I always lobbied to start early of weeks of home football games, I was the only one who cared about going :)

I wonder if it's gotten even more competitive.

You wouldn't believe how much people in the greater software engineering community -- from the Northeast (especially NYC) to the tech west -- know of UCF because of the ICPC. I've had about a half-dozen clients respond, after they either asked or noted from my CV that I'm a UCF CECS grad, "Good programming teams."

I get calls from the big tech companies all the time to come and interview, just because I have it on my cv.

When I was there, we'd practice on Saturday's for 4 hours and 2 hours one other weeknight. I always lobbied to start early of weeks of home football games, I was the only one who cared about going :)

I wonder if it's gotten even more competitive.

I get calls from the big tech companies all the time to come and interview, just because I have it on my cv.

Damn, must simply be pure exceptional talent recruited to the team then. I would've guessed a lot more time went into being that elite every year.

I just remember as an EE signing up for this hacker class that was supposed to be an elective. Those guys don’t mess around and I dropped that shit quick lol

Reactions: adamucf and UCFBS
Damn, must simply be pure exceptional talent recruited to the team then. I would've guessed a lot more time went into being that elite every year.
We all interned at places around UCF, so we were coding 60+ hours a week if you include classwork. The 6 hours a week was focused on the type of problems you'd get in the contest. Dr Oorji had binders of every problem ever asked.

It also might be more intense now, but yeah some were just freakishly smart.

One of the guys on my team one year was 16. He graduated HS at 12. This was after he had been suspended from UCF for a year for hacking.

Reactions: adamucf
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT