ADVERTISEMENT

OT: ESPN Story Rips DJ Durkin

Amazing that as of now with everything they had going for them. Hot new coach, Big-10 money, TV contract, great recruiting classes, etc, that they aren’t in the same world as we are.

Have to give credit to DW, Frost, and Florida talent

Really hate coaches like this. Strongly believe coaches who kill or injure athletes with excessive workouts should be see prison time.

They'd find out how tough they really are.

Really hate coaches like this. Strongly believe coaches who kill or injure athletes with excessive workouts should be see prison time.

They'd find out how tough they really are.
GOL would have to disagree.

That said, the guy acted like a scumbag during the game we played against them last year.

Let’s not get crazy here. To clarify the facts. GOL was awarded a statue that was questionable by higher profile donors. The university had to approve it. It was awarded for his on the field accomplishments that culminated in the Fiesta Bowl win and helping build the programs’s foundation. Our first conference championship, bowl appearances, etc. Yes, there were 2 winless seasons.

High profile players like the McCrays, Bortles, Sitton, Brandon Marshall, Kevin Smith, etc., have had ample opportunity to throw GOL under the bus in interviews over a decade and I haven’t heard the type of allegations that I’m hearing about Durkin and his staff. Kyle Israel was always in the doghouse and even he has never mentioned a culture THIS BAD. The water deprivation at practices wasn’t completely confirmed and EP had sickle cell anemia. Obviously that should have been handled better, because he died. Tom Coughlin and GOL are old school guys, but there are no laws against tough practices. Otherwise, every cross country coach in the nation would be behind bars. Now., that was hell!!

By the way, don’t we have one of the ex-Maryland coaches as our RB coach now?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Let’s not get crazy here. To clarify the facts. GOL was awarded a statue that was questionable by higher profile donors. The university had to approve it. It was awarded for his on the field accomplishments that culminated in the Fiesta Bowl win and helping build the programs’s foundation. Our first conference championship, bowl appearances, etc. Yes, there were 2 winless seasons.

High profile players like the McCrays, Bortles, Sitton, Brandon Marshall, Kevin Smith, etc., have had ample opportunity to throw GOL under the bus in interviews over a decade and I haven’t heard the type of allegations that I’m hearing about Durkin and his staff. Kyle Israel was always in the doghouse and even he has never mentioned a culture THIS BAD. The water deprivation at practices wasn’t completely confirmed and EP had sickle cell anemia. Obviously that should have been handled better, because he died. Tom Coughlin and GOL are old school guys, but there are no laws against tough practices. Otherwise, every cross country coach in the nation would be behind bars. Now., that was hell!!

By the way, don’t we have one of the ex-Maryland coaches as our RB coach now?
Is it even a statue of GOL?....it's a mockery of art. If it's not a statue showing GOL hoisting the Fiesta Bowl Trophy, then we don't need a statue. That was the pinnacle of his tenure here. The only year we had a bad culture was probably 2015...it was like both the staff and players didn't really care. Even in 2004 I liked what I was seeing on the field and knew we were doing things the right way.

Bad memories here. R.I.P. Ereck Plancher. Never to be forgotten. Different scenario though because he had sickle cell. Durkin and staff need to gtfo. What a bunch of b**ches.
I don't know if this can happen because of the lawsuit, or because the family would frown upon it, but part of the stadium should be renamed to honor him. Maybe enough time hasn't happened yet.

Is it even a statue of GOL?....it's a mockery of art. If it's not a statue showing GOL hoisting the Fiesta Bowl Trophy, then we don't need a statue. That was the pinnacle of his tenure here. The only year we had a bad culture was probably 2015...it was like both the staff and players didn't really care. Even in 2004 I liked what I was seeing on the field and knew we were doing things the right way.
It’s really not. It’s a very cheaply made large figurine. Embarrassing really

That was my thought about 2004. He came in and made big changes to the program. He cut a number of good players for grades, not attending class, poor behavior off the field, etc. Even then watching the team play in 04, all of our games were within reach. The ball just bounced the wrong way, the wind changed direction, etc. In 2015, it was like watching a car accident. You watched but just wanted to look away because it was so bad. The injuries piled up, the coaches and the players didn't get along, and just quit on each other. Our side line was awful. GOL's scowl went from mildly pissed to it looked like steam was going to erupt from his ears and his rosacia went from mild to sunburn. GOL was the right man for the job for 10+ years but eventually needed to go. I wish he could have left on top, but he had to go. Key was not going to be an adequate replacement.

Big 10 football and scandals.

I challenge you to name a more iconic duo

We have Penn State...then the horrible sexual abuse if young girls at Michigan State ...then we have Wrestlers being sexuqo abused at Ohio State...and then wife beating coaches in Columbus and their enablers...and now the disaster at Maryland

You are right...Big Ten has overtaken the SEC as the best CC...Criminal Conference.

We have Penn State...then the horrible sexual abuse if young girls at Michigan State ...then we have Wrestlers being sexuqo abused at Ohio State...and then wife beating coaches in Columbus and their enablers...and now the disaster at Maryland

You are right...Big Ten has overtaken the SEC as the best CC...Criminal Conference.
Time to send us the invite to change the narrative

Curious how the Terrapin sports media(aka their paid media boards) talked them up since Durkin arrived to his adminstrative leave when all of this was happening behind the scenes? They were probably sold on the Maryland sports media description of the strength coach as tough love.

Honestly, the SEC scandals seem to pale in comparison. Hell, even SMU paying players is a pretty small misdeed compared to what's going on at these B1G schools.

Penn State deserved the death penalty, in my opinion.

Reactions: Knight_Light
I know this. I’m indifferent to GOL. He did a lot of good for UCF, but....the game passed him by. Wish he retired after the Fiesta Bowl
I think we all agree he should have gone out on-top, we hired a new Coach in the off-season, and he would have been the "Coach of Honor" for the game in Ireland to start 2014 ... that would have been outstanding.

But, alas, Catch-22, O'Leary likely had some loyalty to a number of players, we just don't know.

I absolutely do not buy into the EP death being his fault. That’s just crazy
The difference between the student-athlete deaths at other Florida universities (yes, there have been several) and UCF is this simple fact ...

It went to trial because judge ruled UCF wasn't subject to the $200K cap.

In any other case, no lawyer would have taken it to court, and nothing would have been said about GoL.

Reactions: Mikesi
I think we all agree he should have gone out on-top, we hired a new Coach in the off-season, and he would have been the "Coach of Honor" for the game in Ireland to start 2014 ... that would have been outstanding.

But, alas, Catch-22, O'Leary likely had some loyalty to a number of players, we just don't know.

The difference between the student-athlete deaths at other Florida universities (yes, there have been several) and UCF is this simple fact ...

It went to trial because judge ruled UCF wasn't subject to the $200K cap.

In any other case, no lawyer would have taken it to court, and nothing would have been said about GoL.
GOL wanted to retire after the Fiesta Bowl, but Hitt asked him to stay.

I know this. I’m indifferent to GOL. He did a lot of good for UCF, but....the game passed him by. Wish he retired after the Fiesta Bowl
I absolutely do not buy into the EP death being his fault. That’s just crazy
The game passed him by? He went 10-4, 12-1, and 9-4 in his seasons before 2015. That record says it all. The extension of GOL after 2013 was the problem. It was a mistake we won't make again, you would hope. After 2013, several young, hungry positional coaches were poached along with the DC leaving. After 2014 we lost both the OC and DC (two years in a row), and with everyone knowing 2015 was a lame duck year he couldn't find quality, committed coaches....just guys collecting checks knowing they were going to be sh-tcanned after the season. Hell, it even looked like he had packed it in. He probably looked around at some pointcand said to himself, "This is what I have to work with? Can I just retire right now." Not many teams have success while replacing one or both coordinators year after year. It's typically a recipe for mediocrity or worse....we were worse. Even in the NFL teams almost always struggle when they continuously cycle through coordinators.

That said, I'm just glad we're not in the same situation this year. We got a new, hungry coach with his staff in place.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT