ADVERTISEMENT

OT: FSU Season Tix Sales continue to fall to only 24,000 this yr. Noles need H-H w/ UCF

This is still a weird criticism. When a QB came into his own, they started winning? Yeah, teams with good QBs tend to win games. I am still unsure how this is supposedly somehow a knock on Taggart, or any coach, that their QB played well. USF wasn't good before he got there, and in the 2 years since he left they have gone back to being right about .500. So again, if he was on the hot seat than the USF brass are simply delusional.

And most college coaches are used car salesman, but if the car salesman improves his lost 4 straight years, that should result in being fired?

What world do you live in? Of course they are fired if their improvement is not fast enough or convincing enough. How long do you think USF brass would have settled for 8-5 or 9-4 and not a single championship or bowl win to show for it?

you mean the same USF brass that gave Skip Holtz and extension just before he was fired? The same brass that has completely changed?

4 seasons. Losing record.

What world do you live in? Of course they are fired if their improvement is not fast enough or convincing enough. How long do you think USF brass would have settled for 8-5 or 9-4 and not a single championship or bowl win to show for it?

you mean the same USF brass that gave Skip Holtz and extension just before he was fired? The same brass that has completely changed?

So 10-2 isn't good enough at USF? If that is the case then yeah, USF is delusional. So, I live in the world where going 10-2 at USF should be good enough, not in a delusional one where they think they are Alabama and should win 11 or 12 games every year. But based on how you look at this, I am not sure why he wasn't fired before his 10-2 season.

The program was going backwards under Holtz, not remotely the same situation as Taggart. Teams give coaches premature extensions all the time that don't work out, that is hardly something that is confined to USF.

Last edited:
So 10-2 isn't good enough at USF? If that is the case then yeah, USF is delusional. So, I live in the world where going 10-2 at USF should be good enough, not in a delusional one where they think they are Alabama and should win 11 or 12 games every year. But based on how you look at this, I am not sure why he wasn't fired before his 10-2 season.

The program was going backwards under Holtz, not remotely the same situation as Taggart. Teams give coaches premature extensions all the time that don't work out, that is hardly something that is confined to USF.

There is more to everything than black and white. Yes he inherited a bad FSU team, he caught lightning in a bottle at WKU, and he was not well received at Oregon. My gut says that his hiring will go down as a mistake. Getting to FSU’s boosters expectations is not and will not be easy. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that yet you continue to try and force feed your opinion on everyone. Sometimes acknowledging that there are different view points is ok. Continuing to try to prove a point is just going to piss everyone off. Ultimately time will tell. So we shall see.

Curious, what do you consider successful, and do you think he gets FSU to that point?

Reactions: Poolside Knight
There is more to everything than black and white. Yes he inherited a bad FSU team, he caught lightning in a bottle at WKU, and he was not well received at Oregon. My gut says that his hiring will go down as a mistake. Getting to FSU’s boosters expectations is not and will not be easy. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that yet you continue to try and force feed your opinion on everyone. Sometimes acknowledging that there are different view points is ok. Continuing to try to prove a point is just going to piss everyone off. Ultimately time will tell. So we shall see.

Curious, what do you consider successful, and do you think he gets FSU to that point?

Successful at FSU I would say they obviously need to get back to bowl status immediately, and then back into the top 25 and top 10 in the next couple of seasons.

I don't know if he gets them to that point or not. I think he is a good mid major coach. He was good at WKU (WKU was 2-22 the 2 seasons prior to Taggart, he got them to 7-5, which at WKU at that time was pretty good) he was good at USF (despite what people think, I am going with 10-2 at USF is good). But, it is a different thing at a major college level and I do think some coaches are more suited for smaller jobs without the media pressure and all the stuff that comes along with a high profile job. I think he was ok at Oregon his 1 year there, but 1 year isn't enough to tell one way or the other, and last year at FSU was not good. So, at this point I would say it is too early to tell, but they certainly need to show a lot of improvement this season.

Does students, opposing teams ticket allotment, bands get denied the opportunity to go to a game this season?

Good point. I know we only have like 1k season tickets remaining. But out of the 45k seats, I don’t know how many are allocated to season tix vs general admission, students and opposing fans.

Personally, I like to get my UCFacts straight before I throw stones on National message boards.

#UCFacts

Skip Holtz played against Big East teams. He beat Clemson in a Bowl game. Skip beat Notre Dame at Notre Dame. Yes the program was declining, but this is where USF Green and Gold glasses kick in pal; The program was never all that much to begin with. Leavitt was just a better Holtz. He could win the big games and lose the easy ones. That success defining the program was not a good thing for USF.

He bolted before the end of the season at 10-2. His one good year and he bolted. Much like Scott Frost. He knew the moment was there. Guess what, Scott Frost has not yet proved anything at Nebraska but it has only been one year out.

Skip Holtz played against Big East teams. He beat Clemson in a Bowl game. Skip beat Notre Dame at Notre Dame. Yes the program was declining, but this is where USF Green and Gold glasses kick in pal; The program was never all that much to begin with. Leavitt was just a better Holtz. He could win the big games and lose the easy ones. That success defining the program was not a good thing for USF.

He bolted before the end of the season at 10-2. His one good year and he bolted. Much like Scott Frost. He knew the moment was there. Guess what, Scott Frost has not yet proved anything at Nebraska but it has only been one year out.

Holtz went from 8 wins to 5 wins to 3 wins. Taggart went 2 wins to 4 to 8 to 10. Basically, Taggart improved every year, Holtz got worse every year. They weren't the same situation at all.

He bolted before the bowl game, like many coaches do. And of course he left when he had momentum, that when is when jobs are offered. You don't see a lot of young coaches get major jobs if they don't have momentum. I am not sure why you brought up Frost. I would agree with you he has yet to prove anything at Nebraska, but I am not sure what that has to do with this conversation.

You are also confusing me a bit. On one hand you are arguing he was on the hot seat and they wanted him gone, but then you sound like he was in the wrong for "bolting" for another job. You think he should have turned down a job, that doubled his salary, and stayed at USF even though you say he was on the hot seat after a 10-2 season? Who in their right mind wouldn't leave in that situation?

Good point. I know we only have like 1k season tickets remaining. But out of the 45k seats, I don’t know how many are allocated to season tix vs general admission, students and opposing fans.

Personally, I like to get my UCFacts straight before I throw stones on National message boards.

#UCFacts

According to an Orlando sentinel during 2018 season 12k is the official student section, although there was official tweets stating 13k+ for at least one game in 2018. Then from what I see, allotments range between 3k-5k for opposing teams. So based on that, at the most 30k season tickets can be sold. Though I doubt band is included with students, and I would be surprised that no other tickets are set aside.

Holtz went from 8 wins to 5 wins to 3 wins. Taggart went 2 wins to 4 to 8 to 10. Basically, Taggart improved every year, Holtz got worse every year. They weren't the same situation at all.

He bolted before the bowl game, like many coaches do. And of course he left when he had momentum, that when is when jobs are offered. You don't see a lot of young coaches get major jobs if they don't have momentum. I am not sure why you brought up Frost. I would agree with you he has yet to prove anything at Nebraska, but I am not sure what that has to do with this conversation.

You are also confusing me a bit. On one hand you are arguing he was on the hot seat and they wanted him gone, but then you sound like he was in the wrong for "bolting" for another job. You think he should have turned down a job, that doubled his salary, and stayed at USF even though you say he was on the hot seat after a 10-2 season? Who in their right mind wouldn't leave in that situation?
What I am saying is that Taggart was on the hot seat after the 8-5 season. Yes he had improved but not nearly enough, especially given the recruiting ranking. The team,was not performing as anticipated in the AAC. Watching USF lose games they should have won because of bad coaching was pretty satisfying I must say. Probably like USF watching UCF in 2015. I did not say he was wrong for leaving, but he had yet to truly prove himself at USF and showed himself to be a pretty poor game day coach. USF should have made a much quicker turn around. He had not taken USF to a championship or won a bowl game. He would not have been fired after 10-2 but he failed to win a conference championship had not proven to be worthy of moving on. He did what Frost did, he left while the getting was good. But Frost won a championship and qualified UCF for a NY6 bowl. Could not take it further than that. Taggart then had a losing conference record at Oregon despite a bunch of talent. There is no real basis for Taggert to have such a high profile job as FSU

Reactions: SimpleJack53

Taggart improved Western Kentucky and made them relevant, improved USF with Flowers and Mack, and was OK coaching Oregon. Being a young coach with history of exciting offenses, FSU took a chance on him. No more than the chances that most schools take these days. It’s hit or miss. He’s not completely proven. Taggart could still turn FSU around. Unfortunately, he inherited a bad offensive line and a bad QB situation

Of course he was going to leave USF, then Oregon. It’s simply a step up financially and in prestige. Additionally, he has Florida ties

According to an Orlando sentinel during 2018 season 12k is the official student section, although there was official tweets stating 13k+ for at least one game in 2018. Then from what I see, allotments range between 3k-5k for opposing teams. So based on that, at the most 30k season tickets can be sold. Though I doubt band is included with students, and I would be surprised that no other tickets are set aside.

Using the Ticketmaster seat selector, I identified how many seats are in every section of the stadium. There are approximately 33,000 seats available outside of the student sections.

Subtract the 3,000 that seems to be the number everyone thinks is reserved for visiting teams, and you get down to 30,000.

You also have to remove the seats that the Athletic Department uses and does not sell (player family tickets, recruit family tickets, etc.). My guess is the number of season tickets available is around 27,000 - 28,000.

Reactions: UCFhonors
From the above article:

FSU has sold 24,000 season tickets for the upcoming season. After selling out its allotment (45,000 season tickets in the main seating bowl) in 2014 following the program's third national title, FSU’s season ticket sales have continued to fall. Last year’s mark totaled 32,194, not including an additional 6500 premium seats sold in the Dunlap Champions Club and stadium suites.

FSU's projected athletic department operating revenue is projected to see a significant drop for the 2019-20 fiscal year. That's due, in large part, to a significant decrease in ticket sales for football. FSU is expected to bring in just under $15 million after bringing in almost $23.5 million last year.

Here is FSU's exciting home schedule this season:

Non-Conf:
LOUISIANA-MONROE
Div I-AA Alabama State

Conf:
LOUISVILLE
NC STATE
SYRACUSE
MIAMI

FSU's AD's years ago knew what their conf schedule would be (ACC has posted their conf game schedules YEARS in advance) in that they knew they wouldn't host Clemson and FSU knew this "odd" year they wouldn't host UF either...FSU is foolish to not sign a home-home deal with UCF for season's like this.
Yuck!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT