ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Homeowners insurance and plumbing questions

BennyZ

Golden Knight
Gold Member
Oct 11, 2003
I know there are some insurance people on here, and I am sure there are some people who have made Homewoners insurance claims before.

I received a letter from the water utility telling me there is something running continuously in my house. I checked the toilets, faucets, etc. and nothing was running. My neighbor is plumber so he came over and he checked. He turned off the hot water and the meter stopped running, he turned the hot water back on the meter started running again. So somewhere I have a hot water leak. The issue is there is no wet spots anywhere, therefore he concluded that the leak is in the foundation somewhere. The issue is that it is pretty much impossible to pinpoint exactly where the leak is. His recommendation is to re-pipe the Hot Water for the entire house and run it through the attic, at a cost of about $6K.

My question is, since there is not any visible damage, will insurance pay anything toward the repair? If the leak was in the wall, they would pay to repair all the damage. Even if they could find and fix the leak, they would have to cut through my tile floor, through the foundation, fix the leak and then repair the floor. If I don’t fix it, it is going to get worse and eventually there will be some sort of damage somewhere I would assume.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News