ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Marc Daniels points out ESPN's Rece Davis cheapshot at New Big 12 & Cincinnati during NFL Draft Coverage

Knight_Light

GOL's Inner Circle
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Cincinnati, which obviously had the 3rd most players drafted this past weekend (9 players), for some reason Rece Davis decided to say this about Cincinnati and the New Big 12:

Marc Daniels did a segment on his show yesterday about this and the question is still why? Why did Rece Davis say what he did? What "narrative" is he trying to set up?

Marc's comments about Texas and the laughable ACC and Pac-12 are so spot on.

Resumes don't matter anymore?

His discussion starts at the 1:30 min mark:

I think he’s just stating an opinion that some people have. The only school that’s had a pulse in Big 12 is leaving. Cincy only got that many drafted because tons of scouts watched their playoff game. Same with Georgia. LSU the year they won. That’s why you want to make playoff. Besides actually possibly winning it. Exposure to your players is crazy.
Perception will only be changed once they leave and a couple teams run table from new conference. Until then it’s just a bunch of Iowa States in a conference.

I think he’s just stating an opinion that some people have. The only school that’s had a pulse in Big 12 is leaving. Cincy only got that many drafted because tons of scouts watched their playoff game. Same with Georgia. LSU the year they won. That’s why you want to make playoff. Besides actually possibly winning it. Exposure to your players is crazy.
Perception will only be changed once they leave and a couple teams run table from new conference. Until then it’s just a bunch of Iowa States in a conference.
LOL! What are you talking about?

Scouts already had almost all of those UC players on their draft board LAST YEAR and all season long this year...which is why UC was such a HUGE favorite to win the AAC and why UC was voted into the pre-season Top 10.

Heck...most UC players did not play well vs Alabama in their playoff game this year.

Also...the "team with a pulse" didn't even win their division last year and didn't even make it to the Big 12 Championship Game as #9 Baylor upset #5 Oklahoma State.

Heck...that champ game blew away the tv rating from the previous year that involved OU. (8.02 Million viewers to 2.99 Million viewers).

I think they have more time than to just watch a playoff game. Cincy was getting some big time recruits leading up to these last 2 ACC championships.

Reactions: UCFhonors
This is absurd. In one comment, you’ve somehow managed to diminish the collective efforts of players that worked tirelessly to put themselves in a position to be drafted, coaches that have worked so hard to develop their players (despite not being 5 star prospects), and NFL scouts that spend countless hours preparing for drafts years in advance (not watching one game lol).

Again, sometimes it’s okay to not respond to every post.

Who the hell is saying this stupid shit? Do you, yes you, think scouts only have basic cable in their scouting budgets?

I post mostly on Soundoff. And I don't see this level of stupidity.

#UCFacts

LOL! What are you talking about?

Scouts already had almost all of those UC players on their draft board LAST YEAR and all season long this year...which is why UC was such a HUGE favorite to win the AAC and why UC was voted into the pre-season Top 10.

Heck...most UC players did not play well vs Alabama in their playoff game this year.

Also...the "team with a pulse" didn't even win their division last year and didn't even make it to the Big 12 Championship Game as #9 Baylor upset #5 Oklahoma State.

Heck...that champ game blew away the tv rating from the previous year that involved OU. (8.02 Million viewers to 2.99 Million viewers).

Thanks for bringing actual UCFacts to dumb conjecture.

#UCFacts

Reactions: Knight_Light
Who the hell is saying this stupid shit? Do you, yes you, think scouts only have basic cable in their scouting budgets?

#UCFacts

Soundoff actually has a great thread on this subject. None of the stupidity that some posters may think others have.

#UCFacts

With all due respect…the scout CFP comment might be the dumbest comment of all time…at least over the past week!!!
Charge On

Reactions: UCFhonors
Yes extra exposure and games mean absolutely nothing. If you have 2 guys ranked about the same you probably break the tie by saying he’s a winner and we need him. Are all of those LSU guys that broke record All Pro guys or did a few get drafted too high or even at all?

Mel Kiper had only 7 worth drafting. That’s all I see too.
202011Joe BurrowQBCincinnati Bengals
2020120K'Lavon ChaissonDEJacksonville Jaguars
2020122Justin JeffersonWRMinnesota Vikings
2020128Patrick QueenLBBaltimore Ravens
2020132Clyde Edwards-HelaireRBKansas City Chiefs
2020244Grant DelpitSCleveland Browns
2020261Kristian FultonCBTennessee Titans
2020369Damien LewisGSeattle Seahawks
2020383Lloyd CushenberryCDenver Broncos
2020397Jacob PhillipsLBCleveland Browns
20204108Saahdiq CharlesOTWashington Redskins
20204131Rashard LawrenceDTArizona Cardinals
20206185Blake FergusonLSMiami Dolphins
20207251Stephen SullivanTE
Seahawks

#UCFacts
Are you new to the internet? It’s all over the place the Big 12 could fall to G6.

This is absurd. In one comment, you’ve somehow managed to diminish the collective efforts of players that worked tirelessly to put themselves in a position to be drafted, coaches that have worked so hard to develop their players (despite not being 5 star prospects), and NFL scouts that spend countless hours preparing for drafts years in advance (not watching one game lol).

Again, sometimes it’s okay to not respond to every post.
Shaqueem only got drafted because of the NY6 game he dominated. If not he doesn’t even get invited to combine. He definitely does not get drafted and doesn’t even last the few years he has. Higher profile games have more eyes. Funny how our new 23 QB commit and 22 Walk on faced each other in State playoffs. Just a coincidence I bet.

Are you new to the internet? It’s all over the place the Big 12 could fall to G6.
Shaqueem only got drafted because of the NY6 game he dominated. If not he doesn’t even get invited to combine. He definitely does not get drafted and doesn’t even last the few years he has. Higher profile games have more eyes. Funny how our new 23 QB commit and 22 Walk on faced each other in State playoffs. Just a coincidence I bet.

I'll give you credit. Not many would try to double down and back up this level of stupidity.

Did you at least check to see the article is from last year?

When I see someone cherry-pick 2 recruits connection, I know they are groveling for some sort / any sort of backing.

#UCFacts

Reactions: Knight_Light
I'll give you credit. Not many would try to double down and back up this level of stupidity.

Did you at least check to see the article is from last year?

When I see someone cherry-pick 2 recruits connection, I know they are groveling for some sort / any sort of backing.

#UCFacts
You want 30 articles? Why do you guys get butt hurt when someone has a different opinion than you? There has been talk all over about Big 12 not being good after Oklahoma leaves. Try Google.

Do you read or just link articles?

"WVU would fit better in the ACC, where schools such as Pitt, Louisville, and others currently play. The ACC is also a better basketball conference which will help Bob Huggins’ recruiting efforts."

UCFactually UCFalse.

Or do you just believe everything that you read?

#UCFacts

Do you read or just link articles?

"WVU would fit better in the ACC, where schools such as Pitt, Louisville, and others currently play. The ACC is also a better basketball conference which will help Bob Huggins’ recruiting efforts."

UCFactually UCFalse.

Or do you just believe everything that you read?

#UCFacts
What part of, There are people talking about the Big 12 dropping to G6, are you not understanding? I didn’t say it’s a fact. I said that is the opinion of a lot of people. Same thing Rece mentioned. You not believing it doesn’t make a lot of others not believe it.

"West Virginia now has a decision to make. Either they can stick with the Big 12, a conference that seems to be dying out as we speak, or they can leave like the more prominent schools are doing for a conference that best suits the Mountaineers as a university."

What a joke. This article is a pipe dream like all of the media I read. WVU does not have a decision to make. They have not won a conference championship in the Big12 since joining and the ACC is not an option for them for a myriad of reasons. It will be interesting to see how they continue to compete given the new schools joining the Big12. As what the article mentions, "few major recruits are lining up to play at West Virginia." Their recruiting rankings consist of 48, 25, 45, 33, 38, 51, 33, 46, 29, 47 going back to 2012 per Rivals. They have never beat OU and I don't see their competitiveness changing w/the departure of OU and UT. Just stating the facts.

Reactions: tjb74 and UCFhonors
"West Virginia now has a decision to make. Either they can stick with the Big 12, a conference that seems to be dying out as we speak, or they can leave like the more prominent schools are doing for a conference that best suits the Mountaineers as a university."

What a joke. This article is a pipe dream like all of the media I read. WVU does not have a decision to make. They have not won a conference championship in the Big12 since joining and the ACC is not an option for them for a myriad of reasons. It will be interesting to see how they continue to compete given the new schools joining the Big12. As what the article mentions, "few major recruits are lining up to play at West Virginia." Their recruiting rankings consist of 48, 25, 45, 33, 38, 51, 33, 46, 29, 47 going back to 2012 per Rivals. They have never beat OU and I don't see their competitiveness changing w/the departure of OU and UT. Just stating the facts.
This guy must have graduated from the USF School of Delusional Football Fans. Same kind of BS you hear out of Clearwater. Leave a conference that is dying? Who does that sound like? His actual point is we need to get out of this conference because we get our asses handed to us every season and we’ll never win it. WV has never been relevant in the Big 12 but feels they should be in a better conference. Again, sound like any other losers we know? How do these fools believe they should be picked up for a supposed better conference when they’re perennial losers in their current conference. Why would the ACC want to add another bottom feeder? Another common thread…stating which conference they should move to even when said conference hasn’t expressed any interest in them. Scary the similarities! Thought we were getting away from these types of fans. 🤣

Last edited:
This guy must have graduated from the USF School of Delusional Football Fans. Same kind of BS you hear out of Clearwater. Leave a conference that is dying? Who does that sound like? His actual point is we need to get out of this conference because we get our asses handed to us every season and we’ll never win it. WV has never been relevant in the Big 12 but feels they should be in a better conference. Again, sound like any other losers we know? How do these fools believe they should be picked up for a supposed better conference when they’re perennial losers in their current conference. Why would the ACC want to add another bottom feeder? Another common thread…stating which conference they should move to even when said conference hasn’t expressed any interest in them. Scary the similarities! Thought we were getting away from these types of fans. 🤣
USF often reflects on WVU as their biggest rivals in the old BE, not sure if it's reciprocated....Due to unilateral cross-breeding they may have had together at one time, it's obvious the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree.

• Haha
Reactions: UCFhonors and tjb74
USF often reflects on WVU as their biggest rivals in the old BE, not sure if it's reciprocated....Due to unilateral cross-breeding they may have had together at one time, it's obvious the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree.
WVU has a ton of former WV Residents living in FL, which is one reason why they woukd show up in droves for games in Miami or Tampa in their old Big East days. (Plus it was the #1 road trip destination for local WVU Fans up north).

UCF will see the WVU Invasion first hand when they come to the Bounce House as there will be at least 10,000 WVU Fans at that game.

WVU is happy as a clam that a new FL Team has finally joined their conf...as they haven't been the same program since they left the Big East and their FL exposure.

Last edited:
WVU has a ton of former WV Residents living in FL, which is one reason why they woukd show up in droves for games in Miami or Tampa in their old Big East days. (Plus it was the #1 road trip destination for local WVU Fans up north).

UCF will see the WVU Invasion first hand when they come to the Bounce House as there will be at least 10,000 WVU Fans at that game.

WVU is happy as a clam that a new FL Team has finally joined their conf...as they haven't been the same program since they left the Big East and their FL exposure.
Regarding them being happy, they definitely think the Big12 did the best it could with the 4 new additions but a lot of Big12 fans also think the conference is beneath them. Which is hilarious because they must think their own programs aren't good enough to keep the conference strong. Very USF mentality among these folks.

Still, I have also seen a lot of Big12 fans excited about the new conference who see it as an opportunity for their programs to get out from under the shadow/thumb of OU and UT.

WVU rival has been Pitt for a long time. I’ve never heard them say USF.
You want 30 articles? Why do you guys get butt hurt when someone has a different opinion than you? There has been talk all over about Big 12 not being good after Oklahoma leaves. Try Google.

Try Google, eh?

Logical inconsistency. Or blatant contradiction of expectations. Or both that you're trying there.

#UCFacts

That was a record for Cincinnati though, so that isnt a yearly thing. It will be interesting to see how or if that changes once they get to the Big 12, but they had 9 guys drafted this year, they have had only 10 drafted in the last 6 years combined. It is possible this year was an outlier, it is possible this year is the start of a new trend for them, but we will have to wait and see how that plays out over the next few seasons.

Winning and losing really has nothing to do with conference realignment, it typically has to do with expanding the conference footprint. There is a reason why all of this expansion in recent years has mostly been teams from areas that arent already under the conference footprint. The SEC wasnt going to add Louisville, FSU, Georgia Tech, etc, because those schools are already in SEC areas. All the teams they added were from states without SEC schools (Texas being the exception, but even then, if Texas had joined before A&M, my guess is the SEC would have gone after Kansas instead of A&M). Same with the Big 10. They didnt add Iowa State or Cincy, which geographically would have made sense, they went after a team like Rutgers who isnt a historically great program, but they are in a heavily populated area that wasnt in the Big 10 footprint. IN saying that, I dont think WVU has a lot of appeal to any of the other conferences at this point, so I dont think they will be leaving the Big 12 anytime soon.

That was a record for Cincinnati though, so that isnt a yearly thing. It will be interesting to see how or if that changes once they get to the Big 12, but they had 9 guys drafted this year, they have had only 10 drafted in the last 6 years combined. It is possible this year was an outlier, it is possible this year is the start of a new trend for them, but we will have to wait and see how that plays out over the next few seasons.
Other than Bama and perhaps OSU, all others are considered an a outlier or anomaly. UF winning the SEC this year would be an an extreme outlier, but it may happen? We'll have to see see plays out over the next few years. The more parity and diversity we have in college football, the more opportunities for others in making history....way to go Cincy!

Other than Bama and perhaps OSU, all others are considered an a outlier or anomaly. UF winning the SEC this year would be an an extreme outlier, but it may happen? We'll have to see see plays out over the next few years. The more parity and diversity we have in college football, the more opportunities for others in making history....way to go Cincy!

It wouldnt be an extreme outlier for Florida to win the SEC, they have the second most championship game appearances and second most championship game victories, behind Alabama. Seeing UF win an SEC championship is something we have seen several times. Sure, UGA and Bama are probably the favorites, but teams like FLorida, LSU, and Auburn are all teams that have won at least 3 championships since the SEC started their divisional format, so you cant say any of them are outliers. That is quite different from Cincy doing something they have never done before.

He was talking the number of players drafted. Playing on a National stage wasn’t a coincidence, it was the catalyst.

He was talking the number of players drafted. Playing on a National stage wasn’t a coincidence, it was the catalyst.

Correct. This might end up being a new normal for Cincy, they are certainly a well coached program, but at this point it is just one year. We dont know if it is something that will happen consistently or not. We will have to see how that plays out over the next few seasons.

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
Luke Fickell got to UC in 2016 and built it back from the ground up so he had a lot of 4th and 5th year guys drafted this year.

Reactions: sk8knight
Luke Fickell got to UC in 2016 and built it back from the ground up so he had a lot of 4th and 5th year guys drafted this year.

I understand that, Fickell is a very good coach. That still doesnt change my point though. One year isnt a pattern or trend. It might end up being a pattern or trend, but one draft doesnt make it so. Plus, Fickell is a very good coach, but UC isnt exactly a program who has been able to hold on to coaches over the years, so it is certainly possible that he is gone in the not to distant future.

Reactions: Knight59
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT