ADVERTISEMENT

OT MLB in State of Florida

Poolside Knight

Todd's Tiki Bar
Apr 2, 2007
Both the Marlins and the Rays traded away the face of their franchise(Stanton and Longoria).

Yes this is a big transient State but it still has over 20 million residents and these moves are just begging fans to not care about the sport. The league is banking on no one caring as long as the Yankees, Cubs, and Dodgers are good. Long term it's not a good move.

Both the Marlins and the Rays traded away the face of their franchise(Stanton and Longoria).

Yes this is a big transient State but it still has over 20 million residents and these moves are just begging fans to not care about the sport. The league is banking on no one caring as long as the Yankees, Cubs, and Dodgers are good. Long term it's not a good move.

I was a huge Marlins fan back in the day, I actually attended their first ever night game (which was also their first loss). I stuck with them after the 1997 post World Series fire sale and through the whole stadium thing. But after Loria made it apparent he had swindled everyone to get the stadium I stopped watching and I don't see myself going back any time soon (especially after fire sale #8, or whatever they're up to now).

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Not exactly comparable situations, imo. Stanton was NL MVP and has 7 to 9 years of productive baseball left in him while Longoria's bat has been objectively in decline and will probably be unplayable in 3 years time. Rays were smart to move that contract for something while they could.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
Baseball is too much of only spending as much as to make it look like you are trying but really just sitting back and making money off revenue sharing.

Not exactly comparable situations, imo. Stanton was NL MVP and has 7 to 9 years of productive baseball left in him while Longoria's bat has been objectively in decline and will probably be unplayable in 3 years time. Rays were smart to move that contract for something while they could.
very true, Longoria's has declined the last few seasons but he's still the face of the franchise. The optics look terrible and the timing is curious bc I thought they were close to a new ballpark announcement(but who knows bc that's been teased for years)

Early reports I have read said the Rays got some good prospects from the Giants, but that the Yankees did not give up top-flight prospects to the Marlins. I will always cheer for the Marlins (from afar), but I don't understand how any person/family/corporation buys season tickets or suites to support that "organization".

Reactions: LemmyKilmister
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT