ADVERTISEMENT

OT. Tom Petty and growing up in Florida

Nautiknight

Golden Knight
Gold Member
Sep 17, 2003
Cullowhee, NC
Hey Yall:
I was but 10 years old when growing up in Altamonte Springs when Tom Petty hit the air waves on WDIZ . I was a fan since that point. Tom Petty was a big part of the sound track to growing up in the 70s and 80s and he was from my native state to boot. I loved his music and it was special because of the Florida connection.

When Tom died on October 2, 2017 I was doing work at my vacation cabin Bears Den listening to Tom Petty Radio on XM and it was a punch in my gut when they said he was rushed to the hospital unconscious. I was immediately sadden by the news. He was the first music artist of my youth that really mattered to me who suddenly and unexpectedly died. It's going on 7 years now and I miss him so.

A bunch of country artists got together with Mike Campbell of the Heartbreakers amd released a trubute album of the artists doing Tom's songs . One of my favorites is Dolly singing Southern Accents. It's one of my favorite songs as it's filled with Southern pride in the right way and just a beautiful piece of music. Dolly clearly was the right choice to honor Tom in this remake . Enjoy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.