ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Two former assistants dish on Scott Frost

AuburnLegacy_1

Silver Knight
Feb 4, 2022

In a new article by The Athletic a couple of former Nebraska football assistant coaches know why Scott Frost and his bunch failed in Lincoln and it was quite clear that things were never going to work after they came over from UCF.

One assistant said... Frost’s approach at UCF worked because "his lack of attention to detail" and "loosey-goosey style" followed George O’Leary’s more militant attitude. Unfortunately, with the Nebraska football team, Frost was following Mike Riley, who was a player’s coach and had already tried the laid-back method.

The other assistant said... UCF players were a bit more willing to learn and responded to what the coaching staff was saying and doing than the Cornhuskers’ players did.

“At UCF, they just wanted people to love them up and make football fun again," the assistant said. "Those kids wanted to be great. They just wanted to be loved and understood. We were a young staff. We’d play noon basketball. Frost would be playing too, and the players were jumping into it with us. Practices were short and fun. We coached off emotion. At Nebraska, I think they’d been chasing (recruiting) stars … and we (ended up) letting more things go.”

In a new article by The Athletic a couple of former Nebraska football assistant coaches know why Scott Frost and his bunch failed in Lincoln and it was quite clear that things were never going to work after they came over from UCF.

One assistant said... Frost’s approach at UCF worked because "his lack of attention to detail" and "loosey-goosey style" followed George O’Leary’s more militant attitude. Unfortunately, with the Nebraska football team, Frost was following Mike Riley, who was a player’s coach and had already tried the laid-back method.

The other assistant said... UCF players were a bit more willing to learn and responded to what the coaching staff was saying and doing than the Cornhuskers’ players did.

“At UCF, they just wanted people to love them up and make football fun again," the assistant said. "Those kids wanted to be great. They just wanted to be loved and understood. We were a young staff. We’d play noon basketball. Frost would be playing too, and the players were jumping into it with us. Practices were short and fun. We coached off emotion. At Nebraska, I think they’d been chasing (recruiting) stars … and we (ended up) letting more things go.”
Different conference and he coached ucf offense differently

Also the pressure at Nebraska was far more than he had at UCF. Coming off 12-0 Nebraska thought undefeated was a given by the hometown hero. When he came to UCF i'm pretty sure we were more hyped on the possibility of a jersey change and going "fast". He came in at a perfect time and added the pieces he needed to become great.

What a strange time for Frost to get super lazy and torpedo his career, after getting his dream job....5 seasons, 0 winning records. Losing his family over banging bar maids....really?

I think the right coach with the right scheme, hires, and recruits could still get it done there....Ohio St, Mich, and Wisc show how a rust belt team can still win

What a strange time for Frost to get super lazy and torpedo his career, after getting his dream job....5 seasons, 0 winning records. Losing his family over banging bar maids....really?

I think the right coach with the right scheme, hires, and recruits could still get it done there....Ohio St, Mich, and Wisc show how a rust belt team can still win
Ohio and Michigan players are good. Not many in Nebraska are. It’s harder to recruit there.

Ohio and Michigan players are good. Not many in Nebraska are. It’s harder to recruit there.
If everything else fell into place, they could recruit nationally like Ohio St and Mich do….there aren’t that many great recruits from those states.

Nebraska is just a dying program. No coach can save it.
LOL. Obviously, a college football newbie. :)

FWIW, a program that can draw 90,000 fans per game for a team that hasn't had a winning record in six years is a sign of a program that is FAR from dead.
If everything else fell into place, they could recruit nationally like Ohio St and Mich do.
The program has suffered from a series of poor head coaching hires. That FINALLY changed last year when they hired Matt Rhule.

Pay attention to Nebraska the next few years.

I don't know of Frost got lazy . it's likely his coaching style combined with entitled 4&5 star players work ethics ? O'Leary recruited talent with character . The kids worked hard , well until they didn't in 2015. I also think his offense worked great in the American because one he could recruit speed in the south east and two the defenses are just not that good. Then again we went 12-0 twice beating SEC schools . It's an amalgam of team chemistry,the coach and KZ without a doubt as to why he succeeded here .

I find it funny when people say a team located in X can't succeed by a team in Y can. Nebraska is too cold and remote, but Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State are all college football havens. It all comes down to coaches and players coming together and creating a sustaining winning culture.

If Nick Saban moved his entire program to Toronto, he would be successful.

College football is essentially like the NFL more than ever, a team can succeed anywhere.

Reactions: DaShuckster
QB KZ, disciplined team and incredible mixture of offensive FL talent when Frost got local players to come to UCF.

QB often injured, undisciplined players and offense never clicked at Nebraska.

Hindsight is 20/20. Have to wonder if Frost just played his true freshmen he recruited from the get go. Best way to change a losing culture is to start from scratch. That's basically what Frost did here and our starting OL of freshmen got pretty good by year 2.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT