ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Will this be the last NFL Pro Bowl in Orlando for quite sometime?

Knight_Light

GOL's Inner Circle
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I'm for anything that helps attract people to our area...as those visits help our local/regional economy.

When the NFL Pro Bowl first came to Orlando 2 years ago, an announced crowd of 60,834 for this night game (8 pm kickoff) on a clear but COLD night (not many fans were inside the stadium by games end as temps dipped into the 40's).

Last year, kickoff was moved to 3 pm...and while temperature was warm (78 degrees), rain showers occurred during the game, putting a "damper" on some of the action of this close game (24-23 game). Announced attendance for that game was just 51,019.

This year...ticket sales appeared to be even lower than last year...and now with a predicted all day wash out...this might be the nail in the coffin, at least for a few years.

I can see the NFL "moving around" the Pro Bowl like they are doing with the NFL Draft...and I think "non-NFL" cities (where locals don't get to watch NFL games in person) still might be the best place for this All-Star game.

Maybe San Diego? (Warm weather, no NFL team anymore).

Orlando was a good spot, attracted families which the NFL lides, especially with all the activities at Disney (which happens to own ESPN/ABC) as ESPN benefited (and so did Disney) with all the "free" Disney pub this week.

Maybe Orlando should host this game once every 3 years...might help attract more people to Orlando and possibly a few more locals if its not held here all the time.

For those going to the game today...expect a kickoff temp around 56 degrees with 100% chance of rain (so air temp will feel much cooler than that). Bring a poncho or 2 (or 3).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News